Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Is My Spare Tire Too Old? Or Should I Replace?

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  jerryi 
#1 ·
The spare tire in my 2000 is the original Pirelli tire, full size tire. It's never been on the ground. When I bought the car four years ago, it held 9lbs of air, so I check it yearly and it seems to hold air just fine.
The date code is in early 2000, so the tire is 17 years old, but it's been in the trunk, stored inside its entire life.
I plan to do two 2500 mile+ trips this summer, my question is, would you replace the tire? The four on the ground are Michelin Pilots with about 10,000 miles. And I do have AAA, so I don't really plan to do a tire change myself unless an emergency.
What say the board of directors?
thanks, Geo.

#3 ·
Tires loose their component s that keep the rubber supple, driving on a 17 year old spare tire that has been cooked in a hot trunk in summer is suicide if you use it. Just buy a new tire for a safe life ! I will do the same, buying this summer 5 new conti extrem contact sports !

#4 ·
I think I will order a replacement (cheap) tire from Tire Rack. They have a no name for $69, $85 shipped to my door. So, I will have it mounted and place it in the "dungeon" hopefully to never see the light of day. But, should the need arise, It will come in handy.

Sumitomo
HTR A/S P02 (W-Speed Rated)
245/45R17 Load Range: XL Serv. Desc: 99W UTQG: 500 A A

For 2000 Mercedes-Benz SL500

$69.44

Thanks for your replies,
Geo.

#6 ·
The spare tire in my 1997 is a Pirelli P6000 with a date code of 346. Twenty years old. Both Michelin and Continental recommend replacement at 10 years, though they do not specify whether on the car or in storage. Looks like I will be going the same route and popping in a cheap replacement tire. Looks to be in great shape, though.

#7 ·
My recently acquired, 97 SL500 has an unused 20-yr-old Pirelli in the trunk. My front tires are 5-yr old Michelin Unidirectional Pilots with about 3000 miles on them. My rear tires are older Michelin Unidirectional Pilots that may be good for another 5K miles. My intention is to buy two new Michelin Pilots, and delegate one of the moderately well-worn Michelins to the trunk. Discount Tire can then discard the Pirelli.

My question is, "What are the cons of having a unidirectional tire for a spare?" If one of my good Michelins goes flat and it is not repairable, I will replace it promptly with a new Michelin. I seldom drive outside the Dallas city limits, and I only drive 5000 miles per year, so if I encounter a need for the spare, I will use it for only a few miles.

I trust a 10-year old, three-quarters worn Michelin more than I trust a "mint" Pirelli that has baked in south Florida for 20 years in the trunk.

#9 ·
My spare tire is the original 25 years old Michelin which I used only once for about 5 miles when I got a flat 2 years ago. I am pretty sure it had never been used before that time. It still looks brand new with no crack but it is probably a good idea to still replace it.

#11 ·
I took the spare to my local tire guy, he check it out and said he wouldn't be afraid to use it to get to a tire shop. Since it's been out of the sun and in a garage most of its life he said it would be good to use.
He also told me that when I replace my Michelin Pilot's that he would take one of the old Michelins and put it on the spare wheel. So, that sounds like a plan.
thanks for all your comments.

#13 ·
Good point. The car I bought about a month ago had been driven only a few hundred miles in the last year and had gradually drifted into breakdown maintenance mode. The hydraulic cylinders were all shot (the soft top had not been used in years, so the owner may not have even realized the problem existed. The passenger-side speaker was intermitent. The passenger-door courtesy light was burned out. The trunk lid brake light was out because of a broken wire. The pressure in the 20-year old 'unused' spare had probably not been checked in several years. I found that it only had 15 psi and was questionably a functonal spare. I pumped it up to 37, and I intend to jettison it in a few months when I buy a couple new Michelins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.