Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Top Cylinders Are In- Top Doesn't Work

752 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  isthenew 
#1 ·
The battery died and I have charged up, perhaps that is significant. I am able to operate the windows with the front cylinder locks disengaged and and I have run the window reset procedure, though without the soft top in place. Roll bar is up and will not respond to the button. Top actuation button is either red or flashing. If I engage the front locks and set the rear portion of the top onto the rear lock cylinders (they are in the "open" position, rod fully extended- I can see the silver rod about 3/4" down from top), I get a clicking sound from what I believe to be the tonneau cover lock area. No matter what I do, even using the manual tool, I cannot get the tonneau cover lock to engage the cover and lock it down. I have repositioned this lock to the topmost, mid, and bottommost position, it will not lock. Any ideas as to what to do next?

I have not confirmed them working, but the rear locks, the tonneau lock, and the front magnetic switch are all connected. Am I missing one, perhaps?

#2 ·
Charging a battery improperly can cause problems w/the soft-top control module. But let's hope that's not it, as that's expensive.

My suggestion is to reset all 6 locks. Either with the top all the way up or all the way down. (This can be difficult and time consuming. And you may have to try to reset all the locks several times to get them to all be in the proper position.) Then do the re-synch of the windows. Once you've done that, using the pdf I've attached, you can decide where in the cycle the top stops working. And from there test switches and such.

My gut feeling is the locks are out of synch.

Attachments

#6 ·
If this thread is going to turn into a competition as to who is the most bone-headed, then I'm going to up the ante and admit I installed most of the hydraulic line clips backwards and had to go back and flip them over. Not the most terrible thing that can happen, but not something I'd normally be willing to admit.

Regardless as to the wasted time doing re-work on this project, I figure I am still paying myself $200/hour after taxes. This has to be one of, if not, the highest benefit-to-cost ratio projects.

#7 ·
If this thread is going to turn into a competition as to who is the most bone-headed, then I'm going to up the ante and admit I installed most of the hydraulic line clips backwards and had to go back and flip them over.
I installed the right front cylinder on the left side and left on right side. And you are correct in thinking the only way to do that is to install them upside down as well. Fortunately, the 'I think I'm doing this wrong' feeling was about as undeniable as trying to nap standing in a hammock.

Those were the last two of the entire process - I was tired.

#8 · (Edited)
Well, I experienced the common situation whereas the tonneau cover opens, but the top would not budge. This points to the bow switch as a possible culprit. After verifying that it worked by depressing the black plastic tab on it and getting a continuity measurement and not getting same with the top in the bay, it dawned on me that the switch was just not making and the reason for this was that the "head" at the rod needed to be reversed. If you look at the attached picture, you see that the head is not symmetrical, it is wider on one side. This side needs to face the switch when installed. If you are not aware, there is a 50-50 chance of installing it improperly. I reviewed Top Hydraulic's instructions and there is a passing mention of having to do this on the re-installation instructions. It really should be in bold or caps. I went back to several posts where people had mentioned the same problem and their switch was intact and nobody mentioned to check this. I'm afraid some switches may have gotten changed out unnecessarily.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.