Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

new 91 500SL

544 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  aroundthescenes 
#1 ·
So I bought this 1991 500SL on a tow company lien sale. they said it was impounded when the owner went through a CHP check point for expired reg. it was to be a parts car some to keep some to sell for money recoup. Here is the major problem. The cars runs so good engine and trans perfect, no dash lights. The problem with it is that it is cosmetically challenged on the interior. But nothing that can not be resolved. Delema..... do I part it or restore and keep it. I like Fonzi have no problem parting out cars as I have done many W126's and R107s, but I do have a problem parting out perfect running cars.

mileage is 147k

Ran the vin, and it is a one owner car, has always pass Calif smog.

Hardtop headliner not sagging, but the tonau cover and rollbar covers are ripped very bad. so I would guess the car ran most of the time with the top off.

hydraulics leak but not bad slowly, one tank of fluid will unlock the hard top and raise the soft top

the seat belt cover on the driver seat is completely missing as the plastic must have broke. wood is bad like most. grill and front bumper cover damaged.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
so after a long hard pro and con debate on the 91 500 it will be a parts car as the cost to bring it back to glory would be cost prohibitive. there are just a few items I will use on the 300 and the rest will get parted out. and at the very end I will sell the running rolling chassis with a perfect running 500 engine, perfect shifting trans, no overheating cooling system and non squealing rear end.

THe soft top came out today on it and it is like new. soft windows, new looking canvas with on tears.

so for some one with a iffy engine or bad trans or questionable ECU the rolling chassis will be a deal.

so if you need some thing let me know, but the interior is pretty much crap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.