Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Yikes!!!! 20 Year Old Hydraulic Fluid!

965 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  smata67 
#1 ·
I got all my cylinders back in from Top Hydraulics and installed, and having forgotten to do the fluid change PRIOR to changing out the cylinders, as any half wit would have done, I have now sucked out the fluid from the pump and there it is next to some fresh fluid. I also have some gunk at the bottom of the reservoir. Otherwise, everything looks ok.:|

So it appears I need to pull that reservoir off and will do my due diligence, but its always helpful to get some freedback from the community. Will it all go back together with no additional parts needed? I kinda need that to happen so I can get the cylinders tested prior to my top replacement week after next. Otherwise, I'm running to the dealer or getting things over-nighted. What think you? Take off that gear clamp and it will all come together? Anything else I should be aware of? I have enough fluid to do about 3 fluid flushes, so things should come quite clean.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Age takes its toll!
I cleaned the pump and fluid reservoir and all went together with no additional parts.
If I had a particle screen I would have replaced with new, but it cleaned up with a chemical wash.
After about 2 weeks I strained the original fluid thru a coffee filter and the fluid got lighter, as the paper filter got a residue of gritty dark filtrate.
It was not as clear as the new fluid. Not sure where it is now! Maybe it was recycled???

#3 ·
I changed my fluid last year, removed pump and cleaned out reservoir and replaced it, only connected the feed line and place the returned line into a small container, filled the reservoir and cycled the top several times topping up, all the old fluid went into container to stop it fouling the fresh. Reconnected return line cycled top and roll bar all was good.

#4 ·
Good tip Nigel :wink
I've got to change mine on my older '93 SL500, it was brown looking when I bought the car ten years ago :eek
I'll bet when I change it all the cylinders will go AWOL :)

#6 ·
Contents of Top Hydraulic Pump Reservoir

Contents of the hydraulic pump reservoir. Not pretty. Probably not a bad idea to change the fluid out every 3 years or so, though the new seals that are in from TH may not dissolve into the oil like the old ones appear to have.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.