Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Difficuty aligning the sunglass compartment with the locking mechanism

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Ruindr 
#1 ·
I could use some help with aligning my glove box/sunglass compartment on my '92 300 SL after I replaced the center A/C vent, and in the process broke the brittle sunglass compartment upon removal. Was able to get a replacement part, but unable to align it with the lock. When I shut the lid and I depress the lock, the lid does not open. I went into the slot underneath with a pick tool to depress the locking mechanism to get it open again, but after a few times I gave up. My MB guy says I need to remove the passenger side knee bolster and remove the pass. side airbag to get to the lock and align it from the right. That seems like a lot of billable hours to me. I know the screws in the back of the compartment align the unit, but it is seemingly impossible to get it aligned with the lock? Has anybody experience this issue before?

Tks,
Joe

#4 ·
I took mine out so that I could run my Parrot ipod lead into it. Meant that the a/c vents came out too.

When I replaced the sunglasses case after this it did stick a bit. However, I found that by adjusting the two screws at the rear of the sunglasses compartment (the ones which hold it ina and which are used line up the lid with the rest of the dash) I got it to release reliably.

Takes a bit of trial and error, but works fine.

#5 ·
When I replaced the sunglasses case after this it did stick a bit. However, I found that by adjusting the two screws at the rear of the sunglasses compartment (the ones which hold it ina and which are used line up the lid with the rest of the dash) I got it to release reliably.

Takes a bit of trial and error, but works fine.
This is interesting. I know I've used those 2 screws to adjust the sunglass case depth because down here the dash can swell and if you go too deep the case won't open; it'll just catch on its way up.

#6 ·
Yes, it's described that way in the WIS. The two screws are for adjusting the locking mechanism. First time I removed it I didn't get the screws sufficiently in, and had a very hard time getting the lid to release. A couple of turns and it did the trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.