Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Unknown, unplugged connector wiring harness engine compartment

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  bobterry99 
#1 ·
Hi, during replacing my 1994 SL 500 wiring harness for fuel injection (has been coroded as usually), I found an unconnected connector next to the main connector of the mentioned wiring harness. Does anyone know if it's supposed to be unconnected and what's the function. It contais a small swicht, that would be pressed when plugged in and a kind of red control item. Please see attached picture.
Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's not a connector as far as I know. It's your diagnostic LED and pushbutton. It allows you to read the codes from the ECU. With the key turned on you can press the button and hold it for 3-5 seconds and the resulting LED "blinks" will relate to error codes stored in the ECU.

You need to fill out your profile so we have all the information about your car....

Dan

#4 ·
In the field for "vehicle" you can enter details, e.g. "SL500 1998". I have not seen this particular code reader before, but it probably works the same way as a normal OBD code reader, you can easily google "OBD code error list".

#14 ·
I tried it directly at the 38 pin connector, but same result.
If your reader works on other diagnostic sockets but not #6, then apparently there is a defect in the fuel injection controller or the wiring from the controller to the socket.

All systems should unconditionally respond to their sockets being grounded. If there is no fault in a system you should see one blink.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.