Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ANTENNA GREMLINS!

692 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  maddoggie 
#1 ·
Greetings!

I had the antenna replaced when car ('92 500) serviced some months back, the OEM "drive" cord having broken. It would appear that a Hirschmann antenna mast was sourced from MB dealer and installed. Tech & shop manager said it worked perfectly (raising & lowering as specified) when they tested it, but it did not work when I tried it out. I have not yet had time to take car back for the checkout the shop is willing to do.

Here is the mystery...

...on a couple of occasions, when I would hit the "on" button, it would function perfectly, and then stop after several cyclings! Interestingly, yesterday when "uncoding" the radio (OEM Becker Grand Prix) after hooking up trickle charger (car not a daily driver), it began working once code entered; however...again stopped after a few cycles! I continue to feel that there is a loose connection at/in the motor causing this intermittent issue, BUT...knowing MB's penchant for sometimes over-doing things - could there be a code involved for antenna operation?

In advance, thanks for your time!

#3 ·
I had a similar problem that I solved by removing the antenna control circuit board, finding a bad solder joint (had a dark stain around it), re-soldering, and all was well. Had to repeat the process when another solder joint on the board failed.
IIRC the whole antenna itself does not need to be removed. The board is in a little silver-coloured box that is clipped onto the base of the mast assembly (I have a 2001 SL500 so yours may be different)
There are some photos on this ebay listing that shows the antenna assembly.
Hope this helps,
Peter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.