Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

replacing struts on 96

926 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ka707 
#1 ·
How difficult is it to replace struts and bushings? I am thinking of doing it myself. Any advice and instructions? thank you

#2 ·
front struts, easy peasy. rear. well......... not so easy, hard to get to the top.

#4 ·
well, front is a modified McPherson strut. Shock/strut is outside of the spring

As far as replacement, front is basically replaced just like one would replace a shock. And, having done it pretty easy peesy. Much easier than a typical strut replacement.

Now the rear, well getting to the top of the shock is NOT easy peesy. At least on mine the top mount had jam nuts rather than a locknut, so once I got the jam nut loose, I could hand spin the nuts off.

From what I've heard some have a compressed nut, which means turning that nut off a LONG shaft. not a easy job.

#7 ·
Actually I was able to do the rears in reasonable time. A bevy of tools helps. However not nearly as easy as most rear shocks are. Key things.

1) the shocks MUST be under compression to get the top nut off with any reasonable approach. Then let the rear suspension drop to remove. And under compression to attach top nut again.
2) A good flexible box end ratcheting wrench does wonders.
3) HOPE your shocks have jam nuts not a nylock or similar locking nut. With the jam nut, once the jam nut is loosened you can spin the nuts of by hand.

Reactions: isthenew
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.