Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

replacing all the top cylinders, distibutor. advice?

2K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  isthenew 
#1 ·
My rebuilt cylinders arrived yesterday. I paid the core and inventory charge up front so now can replace them as i remove them. I am just wondering If anyone that has done this will have some advice for me, what not to do, etc. printed all the directions from the website but i value the knowledge of those that have gone before...

#2 ·
I wrote a big, long list of mistakes I made in a thread once. Which was just about all of them. And I shot video when I did this a couple months back, but haven't had time to edit and post it yet. But, casual suggestions:

1) be aware of the sensor between the front locks
2) the left bow cylinder piston head is asymmetrical and has to face the right way to trigger the sensor
3) don't lose the main cylinder bottom bolt when reinstalling it (like I did in both cars). they fall in and disappear forever.
4) make sure you roll bar is UP before you start!!! this is for removing the interior to access the main piston
5) use a crow bar to remove the bose subwoofer. It's scary, but does't break
6) when re-installing the bow cylinders, instead of the "matchstick trick", I lower the soft top, re-raise the soft top until I can access the top mount for the cylinder, and install it. then I install the lower mount. I've done this like 6 times and never had a problem w/the switch breaking
7) you have to remove the tonneau supports to access the bolts for the rear locks.
8) unbolt the right rear lock, then pull it into the trunk, then remove the hydraulic hoses. and put the hoses on in the trunk before reinstalling
9) I'd disconnect the battery before taking anything out. that computer is sensitive
10) remember to re-synch your windows when done. and make sure your locks are all in the proper position.
11) be sure you get your hoses right!
12) When removing the spring clips, I use a flathead screwdriver in the gap to hold it in place, and then use another flathead to push the clip off
13) for spring clip installs I just use a thin needle nose pliers and a flathead screwdriver
14) allow for time :)

Enjoy the experience and feel proud when done!

#3 ·
I went through this process and my advice is to take your time and follow Top Hydraulic's instructions to the letter, they are excellent. Be careful when you remove the clips as they will jump and you can loose them. In order to avoid loosing the clips or bolts or pins while taking them out I always tried to have a magnet pick up tool touching the part which saved my life a couple of times. The bow extension cylinder has a micro switche on the assembly. Be very careful not to crush or damage it when putting every back together and moving the soft top. Another thing to pay particular attention is not to scratch the piston of the cylinders.

#10 ·
If I was doing the core exchange route (which I have considered) My plan would be to do a complete flush of the system before I started then replace one cylinder at a time and then run the top up and down. That way I would either know (a) the cylinder was replaced and switch(s) correct, or (b) I need an adjustment on THAT cylinder.

Much better than replacing all of them IMHO and THEN checking the operation. and possibly needing to figure out which cylinder(s) are culprits in any operation failure.

Reactions: AroundTheBenz
#13 ·
I bought a roll of thin fishing line and wrapped around the e-clips when installing. I also had the clip tool. I wrapped the line around several times and tied loosely. Usually left a long lead so if the e-clip fell, I'd just fish it out. After installed, I would just unwind or snip off the line. I'd say it saved me about half dozen e-clips

#14 ·
well its been one hell of a battle. i have 8 cylinders installed now out of 12. the 4 that are left are those in the trunk which will be quite easy. I have learned a lot and am thinking of editing Top Hydraulics instructions to help others that may go thru this. I dont think i would do it again, i would find a mechanic willing to do it for me. but then with what i have learned it would not be near as bad as this round. thanks again for the help offered.

#22 ·
finished the job today. the one thing that reduced stress level by a factor of 100 was the tip about fishing line. tied to the clips , e-rings or whatever it s the very best thing you can do.
thanks to all. it took 7 days for me to complete the work. i am so happy, its an exercise in patience.
Congrat. It feels good to have done it yourself, does it not? One last thing that may leak on you one day if you have not replaced it yet is the distributor under the rear view mirror but that is piece of cake to replace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.