Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Ignition Code

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Benica 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I recently tried to start my car after about 6-7 months of sitting in the garage. It won't start at all and I'm not getting spark on either side. I received a #15 code on pin 8 that states, ignition coil 1 output from EAL/AKR ignition control module faulty.

There is a second code listed in my code manual #16 for ignition coil 2. So, I'm posting here because I'm a bit confused. Should I take this literally, ignition coil output module 1 is bad? or should I take that to mean the ICM is bad? I haven't seen any other topics on this specific thing.

What I have done: read all the codes, this is the only relevant one that comes back. Checked the ohms on the crank sensor, it is fine. The car had some real trouble driving and lost power like it was in limp mode constantly before I turned it off for the winter.

Any info would be helpful

#2 ·
My money would be on a bad EZL. I had a bad coil last year that fried the EZL. My initial symptoms were loss of power, car was only running on 4 cylinders instead of 8. There are many threads about how to test. For me it was two new coils and a used EZL. If you're wanting a new EZL, better mortgage your house first. ?

#3 ·
You're sure you're without spark on all eight cylinders? You should be getting codes 15 and 16. I would the erase the 15 and try it again. If you find you're getting spark on coil 2 you can swap the coils to see what that does. The mounting is different but they are otherwise interchangeable.

#4 ·
Positive on that one yes. I pulled plugs individually from both sides, stuck them to metal, and watched for a spark. Nothing. Which is very odd considering it gave me one code, like you said. I had replaced one of the coil firing packs prior to parking it. I replaced the one that can be accessed easily. So, I should have some spark if it were just that. I would love to try and fish the other one out and see the condition of it, I'm just not sure how to get it out from under the fender.

Any other info/input/suggestions would be helpful :)

#9 ·
Thanks to both of you for the input. Most of the parts are new and have been used up to about 500mi before this. New wires, plugs, rotors, caps, and one new ignition main firing coil. So, see of this can be knocked off the list.

Can someone point me to the proper place of the ignition control module? I can't find a definitive answer other than "the crankshaft sensor plugs into it".

#11 ·
I saw one of your previous posts where you changed the fuel distribution block. You may have disturbed the wiring for the crankshaft position sensor. No crank sensor will result in no spark. Examine the connections and wiring. Check the ohms it should be 750. Pelican parts has a good write up on testing and removing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.