Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Non-Mercedes guy needs help/ SL500 seats

569 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  rorypff 
#1 ·
I have a pair of seats from a 2005 SL500 that I am putting into a 1966 Ranchero. What I need is a wireing diaghram and the electrical connectors from the chassis wireing harness, any help in acquiring these would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Yes we do, lots of them, but slogging through them is a daunting task for a 70 yr old. Have contacted a MB only yard here and was quoted $125 for them. Just trying to cover all bases. I believe the modules are built into the seat, I might get by with just a wireing diaghram, first step is to get power to them and go from there.

#4 ·
My father is 91 YO and he still does small repairs ;)
Good health to you.
Read more topics about those seats in model section.
I never went that far, but I know that you can't just straight wire those seats in.
The control modules sometimes are build into switches, sometimes are in box under the seat, sometimes are in row with car main computer.
Since I am mechanically-inclined I was always avoiding dealing with them

#5 ·
do a 1 yr alldata diy subscription, maybe $20 and you will find the complete wiring diagrams for the seats. It isn't trivial, there are the motors and it's wiring and the control for the motors via the door switches is via canbus and a ECU. not direct control IIRC.

Next, on ebay get a seat wiring harness for each one. they show up on occasion., That will give you all the correct connectors.

Now a few things to consider.
1) the seatbelts have squibs in them that fire and pull the seatbelt tight in case of an accident, they really don't have the normal ratchet retention mechanism to rely on.
2) the seatback ABSOLUTELY MUST BE LATCHED WHEN IN USE. If not latched the seatbelt is going to give you almost no protection since the belt relies on the seat frame, unlike most belts that have the shoulder part attached to the B pillar.
3) Since the seat is the entire safety mechanism, you must have some really strong and secure attachments of the frame base to the chassis, not just the thin bottom sheet metal.

If your using it as a show car, ok, but IMHO they are NOT a good seat for use in another vehicle from a safety standpoint.

But then your putting them in a vehicle that may not even have had seatbelts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.