Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rear Subframe Bushings

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mahunt 
#1 ·
While doing all the work on the rear suspension I thought I would replace the rear sub-frame bushings. I naively thought they might pop out easily since its a desert of California car and so far all the bolts are not rusted, and things come apart fairly easily. No such luck with these. I simply can't pry them out and I see there are tools available on ebay for costs all over the board. I also looked and searched for some particular threads on how to go about taking these out but I did not find anything for the r129. So two questions, can someone point me to some steps to do, and second does anybody have a tool they used once and want to sell? I guess also advice on any of the tools being sold on-line. Which ones work and which ones don't or should I simply take this to the dealer $$$$$$$.

#2 ·
The WIS calls for special tool 129 589 10 43 00. See attached picture. Although completely different subframe, the subframe bushings looks very similar to the bushings on the R107. Recent threads on that forum on R&R of subframe bushings. Maybe you can get some inspiration/help looking through these.

Hope it can be of some help.

Attachments

#3 ·
In addition to the new rearmost bushings (different from the rearmost originals) of the 4 bushings, you will need new attaching hardware. Notice the little bow tie keepers:

W124 Rear Subframe Bushings? - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum.

While you are at it, you should also replace the 2 differential rear facing bushings, as they are probably ready to go as well.

Most DIY w124/129 folks say you can lever out all 4 sub frame bushings, but putting the fronts back in is difficult by hand as the rears go in fine using the mounting bolts to compress them between the body and the sub frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.