Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Passenger power window -NOT

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  300sl3pedal 
#1 ·
The passenger window on my '91 300SL stopped working -not going down when I press the down button. The driver's side works as ever. What is the (likely?) problem, please? Where should I start and continue checking, please? Thank you.

#5 ·
before tearing the door apart you might want to check the motor. when you lower or raise the soft top the first thing that happens is that the windows are lowered - this is done from the soft top controller and does not involve the window switch. if the passenger window raises and lowers when raising/lowering the soft top then clearly the motor is ok.

the other possibility is the soft top controller - the windows are operated by two relays in the controller. dirty contacts could be an issue.

#7 ·
Thank you! Excellent thought that hadn't occurred to me.
I removed the hardtop and tried the soft top yesterday. The window (which is in the up position) does not budge when I try to raise the softtop, and the top stops mid-way -presumably, precisely because the passenger window is not working (-the controller is not relayed what it expects??) The driver's side window does go up and down as expected/designed.

Does this make the motor (more) likely?? A relay more likely? Where is the motor? The soft top controller? Could it still be a fuse? Does each window have its own fuse?

Thanks again -to each of you.

#13 ·
Thank you so much. Fortunately, I won't need it. I bought a bike in Brighton last year.
BTW, I have my 300SL listed on Ann Arbor craiglist, in case you know anyone interested. Look for an October 14 listing.
Thanks again

--------
To all: sorry for the duplicate post above. I did try to delete it.

#10 ·
looks like

a) i assume you checked the fuse

b) the soft top test says the window switch is ok

so that only leaves the r/h window down relay in the soft top controller and the motor itself. The controller is located behind the r/h seat underneath the rear seat (if you have one) or underneath the storage compartment. i think the motor is located in the front part of the door towards the bottom. you can read how to open the controller here

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/2258450-soft-top-controller-rear-bow-issue.html

the link includes a picture of the relays - the window up/down relays are the large ones and easy to clean. if you clean the relays and it still isn't working, it seems like the motor is the problem which you would need to confirm by pulling the door card and measuring for 12v at the connector. if you have 12v at the connector when operating the window switch then it's the motor that's bad.

#11 ·
So sorry for tuning out. A health issue put me on the DL all week.
I finally got out this morning and checked the fuse. Sure enough: number 2 was shot. Went to the local parts store right away and replaced it. SUCCESS!! Window is responding up and down as ever. I am so relieved. Thanks to each of you for the guidance. I have some extra fuses: anyone in need of one, just come on over. Fittingly, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
I suppose something made that fuse blow, although it may have been purely age. If it was something else, fuse replacement probably wouldn't have done it --I suppose. I'll worry about that tomorrow. Or not.
Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.