Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

SL500 opinions

694 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  SRHsl600 
#1 ·
Iam looking at a sweet 2000 SL500 with 130000 on the clock and I would like some advice on reliability,repair or experience you've had owning this car. I have done some research but would like the advice from the many on this site.
Thanks

#3 ·
The car in itself is very good, the only thing is the 2000 on car is much more prone to rust than the earlier cars, it can get bad behind the fender grills front.

#4 ·
130000 miles will indicate that some major maintenance will be required sooner rather than later:

- Engine mounts
- Flex disks
- Spark plug wires/coils
- Brakes
- Maybe coolant and air hoses
- "Seal for life" transmission
- Fuel pump
- Front end (ball joints++)
- etc

But these items are all DIY candidates if you are inclined.

The engine itself is good for another 130000 miles (and more!) if is has been properly maintained. Service records are key. Stay away if the hydraulic soft top does not work, or negotiate a heavy discount. No rust!

A R129 2000 will have the M113 V8 with two spark plugs per cylinder and SOHC. Lot's of opinion if it's a better engine than the previous M119. Slightly better mpg, and more serviceable is what I've heard. You will also have the benefit that more mechanics have worked on the M113 than the M119 if you really need help.

Bottom line - buy on condition and service history.

Good luck!

PS. Lot's of info on this subject here - invest time in reading online and maybe buy a book or two to educate yourself before you buy!

#5 ·
Inspect, inspect, inspect.
My latest "project" has 192,000 miles.
For $1300 I did not expect much, but turns that mechanically the car is still pretty solid and trashed interior is washing well in some panels.
When I had to replace transmission bushing and 1 ignition coil (with new plugs) the flex disks are good, so are brakes, so eventually MM will be on my list.
Just did acceleration test today.
Car makes 0-60 in 6.5 seconds just by pushing the gas pedal from stop.
Not a Tesla, but not bad for the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.