Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Emergency HARDTOP unlocking

753 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jimdollar 
#1 ·
Hi, spend some time reading pdf, watching youtube and reading the forum, but don't see procedure for emergency hardtop removal.
My issue is that I found SL500 on junk yard and would like to take some parts from it, but most cylinders need opening the softop cover.
Beside 4 foot pry bar, is there a way to unlatch the hardtop with no hydraulics?

#2 ·
Man, I never thought that I'd be able to "help" you as you always seem to have the answers, and in particular to tell you to "look in the stickies". Sorry, I don't know how to provide a link, so here goes, go to the stickies and find. "R129 soft top Hydraulic System Ultimate Thread", this will lead you to another group of stickies. Find the one "How to remove the hardtop and put the RST up manually". This will tell you what to do. On the back locks, I seem to recall reading that on the earlier models the part that you put the wrench on is Red and large enough to easily get the wrench on. On later models they apparently want to discourage folks doing it manually so the part on the lock is smaller and isn't painted red. Also on the earlier models apparently you can see and access the "red lever" through an opening in the trunk panel, while on later models you either have to remove the panel, or cut it (but since you are in a "pick n Pull" apparently you can "cut away". If you have a full set of tools there is one that has an allen wrench on one end and a 10mm open end on the other that is used to accomplish this.

#3 ·

Attachments

#4 ·
Went to the JY again today and somebody open the top for me already.
I guess I wasn't the only one that wanted extra softop, but it was bad, so it is still there.
I was able to pull 2 cylinders as something on my car leaked via fender holes when I closed the hardtop .
So now not only I have 2 cylinders to play with, but what most important I learn how to pull the stuff without single scratch on my car. :D

#5 ·
BTW who da heck made size 7mm to unscrew the locking cylinders?
I work on metric cars for over 40 years and never used size 7.
I have about 10 sets of metric tool sets and none of them has size 7 mm.
Good thing I have several 6 mm open wrenches and knowing in advance, was able to file it up to 7mm.
OK I vented now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.