Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Soft top headliner

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  rorypff 
#1 ·
How do you remove these? I can see the posts where it screws on, but is the front bit easy to get out/refit?

I thought I may take it off and bung it in the washing machine. :devil

#2 · (Edited)
That was my original plan too, since my headliner has some ugly stains in the rear part of it, unfortunately it seems that isn't quite as easy as I hoped. Not sure if there is another way, but WIS talks about cutting off the "old" headliner along the bow. See attached.

Maybe I will try some "Resolve" or some other spray on/foam fabric stain remover on it if there really isn't an easier way...

Attachments

#4 ·
ok, I've done it. However how difficult depends on what year.
Earlier years ( maybe up through 95 or so) have the rear of the headliner glued to a bow that is screwed to the back of the top frame.

Later years (from at least 97 on as mine is) the headliner is glued to the rear bow. However, the bow used in earlier models is (or at least was) available. My parts guy ordered one for me, had to get it shipped from germany.

Now mine had a tear, but I found a matching headliner in good shape on ebay, got it, washed it in the bathtub with woolite cleaner, glued it to the new bow. then I carefully cut the old headlner just as it met the exisiting glue line. installed the new assembly.

My guess is that one could cut the exisiting headliner on models w/o the removeable bow, and glue it to a removable bow. It only takes about 1/2" of material to glue to the bow. But that's just a guess

Now on the easy to remove ones, washing machine probably isn't an option since you'll probably want to leave it attached to the bow. but again, drop it in the bathtub with some woolite cleaner, and it will probably come out just fine.

Reactions: Richard F
#6 ·
IIRC just a couple of screws in the corners and then held in place by the rubber piece and plastic at the front of the top.

then there are one or two plastic strips that snap onto the top bows between the front and back. they pop off easily.

Reactions: Richard F
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.