Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Leak or Condensation?

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Casualspeed 
#1 ·
Under the transmission, on the drivers side I have been noticing what looks like a water leak. I really don't seem to be losing much coolant, but a little. I can't see where this leak might be but could use some insight. I have checked the heater core hoses, nope, not there. When I had the dash out, it did not seem like a heater core. So I am thinking could it be condensation coming from burning the gas? Its right by the cat. Has anyone else seen a leak like this. PS its not air conditioning season anymore I am afraid so that is out as well. Car has like 100,000 miles and is from California. So rust and stuff is not applicable. Any hints appreciated

#3 ·
Run the car around until it reaches full operating temp then park on level clean ground let idle until you see water under car stick finger into water is it cold or warm? if cold it could be condensation the a/c comp will cycle when ever the climate control fan is on unless ec is pushed. condensation can happen if there is humidity in the air just like a cold drink sitting on the table.
If the water is warm it is dripping from the exhaust. Again if moisture is in the air the exhaust will condensate

from the time you get in the car before starting and the whole way through this check keep climate control off

Last what color is your antifreeze?

#12 ·
My R129 is leaking at the hose going up into the windshield behind the brake booster. While under the car with it running, I too have water/ coolant leaking from above the transmission. With a mirror, i can see it coming from the a/c drain hose, however the automatic temperature control system is off. I've also been getting a film on the inside of the windshield. It's more water than what would be coming out if the a/c is on. I guess once i solve the leak at the windshield, maybe it'll solve the leak over the transmission. idk..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.