Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

No more 129 keys.

30K views 169 replies 42 participants last post by  khomer2 
#1 ·
We have just heard in the UK that no more 129 keys are available

We have also heard of no more front blinkers some months back

#3 ·
remote key fobs, or keys ?? I'd be suprised if no more regular keys are available, and the key for the fobs for at least through 97 can be cut by any locksmith. It's the chip in the remote that must still be kept.

#4 ·
It is the complete key fobs that are no longer sold, without the old key or the eprom being good there is no way to copy anything.

If you lose your key thats it, no more.

#10 ·
Somehow many of you are missing the boat on this, so your car is in the USA or say the UK and you lost your complete key, how are you going to get the car to Poland.

Reactions: Gotglasses
#9 · (Edited)
I know when I ordered an extra electronic key for my 96 3 years ago I was told at the dealer that they had 190 left. And I suspect that was for not just for SLs but any 1996 USA Mercedes.

I suspect different years have different requirements.

One thing is certain. As time goes on we're going to have to get more creative as to parts replenishment.

I would think that a conventional key can still be ordered by the VIN as any other Mercedes can. Had a friend with a pagoda and lost his only set of car keys. He gives the dealer the Vin and a few days later has a complete set of four keys just as it came from the factory 50 years earlier.

#11 ·
Wait a minute. Who missed the boat?
Where original post says about loosing all keys?
All the shop needs to make new key is ignition switch. Few minutes of removal on digital ignition.
This has been done before FYI.
Beside, you can buy replacement ignition switch with 2 keys on ebay for less than $100.
That might not apply to all models, but is covered.

#12 ·
I do know that a EIS switch and the plastic keys can be fixed, but the flip out key is a little different.

Second hand keys from Ebay will run out, no one is making new ones, plus most secondhand keys are in a poor condition as the cases spit open easily. Once glued up the cases have to be replaced.

I do repair keys in the UK, and have fixed a couple of hundred.

With the later 129 where the windows drop are not easy to force open to get in the car.

Would you please pass on all this good information as to where these keys/switches can be fixed please and I can pass the good news on:smile:smile

#16 ·
It is much for me.
One of my key/remote has good blade, but spring and button are broken, while the case show pretty bad wear.
Remote doesn't work, but the board is there, so even board might be harder to repair, for 6 bucks I will have new case with new switch mechanism.
New case is due for delivery today, so I will see.

#17 ·
The flip out key is an odd ball, it can lose its coding, but still lights the LED Not sure if the reason is the Xtal has changed because key dropped.

It is a pretty poor show that Mercedes have stopped doing a new key as so many 129's still running around. We have a man in the UK working on the problem, he is good and repairs all the EIS switches to the trade

#19 · (Edited)
"Somehow many of you are missing the boat on this, so your car is in the USA or say the UK and you lost your complete key, how are you going to get the car to Poland."

Are you saying that giving the factory your vehicle identification number you can't even have a conventional key made?

I did pose this question to my dealer. Then if you had no keys how would you order a key? They do demand proof of ownership such as your car registration and your drivers license with a picture ID. Then when you pick up the keys they want you to bring the car even if you have to tow it

It is both proof that you have the car in your possession and to test the key.

But I cannot believe that you can't get even a simple conventional key made

Then if you are in Europe drive it to Poland if you want.

#20 ·
I think there are multiple problems that stem from no more factory keys being made (if that's true), which is why it's such a pity if it IS true. Some problems have answers, some don't, so I think some members above who are saying "well [X] is an easy fix" are forgetting about problem [Y]:

1) Physical key

2) Board/circuitry to actually remotely unlock your car and deactivate the alarm

3) A case to put it all in and operate the remote functions.

All of these have some solutions, otherwise MB wouldn't stop making them. But the question is whether you find having to tow your car 2x to physically check the VIN to a dealer (which is their confirmed and well-known procedure for having a key made) acceptable, along with the other impractical solutions proposed. And that's assuming a dealer can make you a fob in the first place.

If this alone is the result of not making remote keys available, I hope none of our EISs go bad - imagine the trouble that entails!

#22 ·
We checked with 5 dealers in the UK and all say no more keys left. All keys come from Germany when ordered.

This could also apply to the 140 as they use similar keys.

#28 ·
Hi Malcolm, your advice is, as always, useful and appreciated. Thank you for the heads up. It does seem that you have created quite a stir State side. :grin

Did you ask the 5 MB dealers if new keys were available on backorder?

Just so I understand fully, all 129 keys have the flip out blade? The early ones have a large grey central locking key fob and flip out key. The later ones (1996 on ?) have a sleaker black key fob with flip out key and an inbuilt transponder immobiliser chip? Is that right?

So, as you say, if you lose the later type key you're potentially stuffed if no availability through MB. Can you get replacement aftermarket key fobs that come with both a blank flip out key that you can get recut and also a new PCB and transponder that you can get reprogrammed? But then, if you've lost your keys, you have nothing to cut the new blank from. :(

Regards
Rob

#23 ·
There are 3 parts to the key : 1) the metal part that a good locksmith with the proper equipment can cut the proper blank. 2) the transmitter which can be fixed by persons with good knowledge of electronics, or you can buy a replacement in eBay. 3) the transponder (chip) which is only available and programmable by MB (but you can transplant the one from old to new fob to work on SAME car).

So when they say 'no more keys left', what are they referring to ?

#24 ·
While I cannot make a "new" key remote, I certainly can reprogram a used remote from a different car into DAS 2 equipped vehicle.

And yes, that includes the blade keys. The transponder chip can be wiped, or a new one can be installed and programmed into a different key slot, etc etc.

Just need access to the DAS module that's behind the cluster.

#25 ·
There are two different keys available for the R129:

1.) The "blade" for the key fob.

2.) The standard key, later models which contains the chip to make the security system allow the key to start the engine.

I'm going to see my dealer parts guy on Monday. I'll check with him. I find this really hard to believe, considering that the same key works with a number of other models of the same vintage, as well as the ability to still buy keys for models that go well back into the 1960s.

Dan

#26 · (Edited)
I wonder about key logic as well.
The much cheaper E class back in 1998 had electronic knob, while my 1998 SL has switch blade. Took me some time to get back to need of holding the key turned for engine start, when for years I just click the key and computer took care about engine starting.
I got new case today so time permitting I will swap the blade tomorrow.
Shall I look for transporder chip?

#27 ·
Yes, do not lose the transponder chip. You lose it, you'll have to weep all the way to the dealer only to be told "NO MORE KEYS!" :)

AFAIK, all MB with blade keys as of 1996 onward had the transponder chip installed.

#30 ·
On this subject on keys there are others not available, though they do not belong here.

EIS Keyless go keys with the single battery used from about 2003 to 2005 are out of stock and could be no more.

The first keyless go systems from 2001 to 2003 used a card and a key, you can still get the cards, these cannot be replaced with a keyless go key.

The single battery keyless go key cannot be replaced with the later 2 battery versions, so if you lose or break your key you can only get a key that works in the ignition and no more keyless go.

#33 ·
If keys are no longer available I sure am glad I snagged extras -- actually glad I snagged them in any case.

When I snagged my SL500 a couple of years ago it came with only one key in remote fob. The key and remote worked fine but I thought it risky to not have a spare. So I went to the dealer and ordered another key/fob and a stand-alone key without the remote fob. I had to show proof of ownership and had to return to the dealer to pick up the keys a couple of days later. I live in California and the keys came from Texas.

#34 · (Edited)
The new case I've got from China looks good but is not working too well.
The blade stucks part of the way and will not stay closed.
I took close look and don't see any locking tabs on it, just one part going smoothly over the other.
Coming back to switch blades, early W210 had them as well and you can buy replacement tumbler with 2 new keys for less than $20.
I assume R129 are driven less that is why wear out tumblers are not common problem yet, but it is all worked out already.
Obviously when you loose all keys, you might be able to drill out tumbler and install new one, but making working transporder might be harder. What you say Deplore? Can you make a copy of transporder from the switch alone?
ph sl500 how long ago you bought those keys, I heard that the service keys (no remote) are no longer available?
How much?

#37 ·
luckily I have two very good switchblade remotes for the SL and 3 for the E420.

and a handful of extra regular keys for both which are very reasonably priced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.