Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New to 129 forum

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  shaun88 
#1 ·
Recently acquired a 97 sl500 and I am trying to learn as much about the car as possible, however the owners manual didn't come with the car. One thing I am trying to figure out but haven't been able to find any clear direction is how to install the hard top, I am sure it is very straight forward but if someone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum. Couple things you need to know about your R129.

1. Electronics on this car do not survive improper boosting
2. Stock transmission harness plug has to be replaced, failing that you will have oil in your controller that will eventually short and fry something
3. You can't trust PO, unless you have documented maintenance assume that every fluid and filter has to be changed
4. Power Top Hydraulics tend to go at this age - keep an eye at the fluid level (in the trunk, under spare). Use TopHydraulics for replacement actuators and never add stop leak into fluid.
5. If you experience random highway vibrations, first replace steering damper.
6. Lubricate your mono-wiper assembly or it will cease

Happy motoring!

#8 ·
There are a bunch of great threads with information about the r129 in the archived topics sticky thread. I suggest you click on it and read some of the threads. They will give you some very good insight and using the search function to look up any issues or questions you may have will be easy too. Most likely someone has had the same question and posted about it.

Welcome aboard but until you post a picture of your R129 ownership isn't officially recognized here. :D

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#12 ·
Wow you lucked out with this car. A 1997 is the holy grail of R129's, but it is also an AMG version, which is icing on the cake.

Congrats on landing a superb find. Many miles and years of memorable driving thrills await you on the open highway, with this fine steed in your stable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.