Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New owner - 300 SL

708 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  monkeymerc 
#1 ·
Hi,

I recently had a post about buying advice on a 300 SL 1992. I bought it! It will now compete with my 1982 380 SL on usage :grin

The car is very well maintained, with the following option codes from the factory:
- Black leather interior and "Blue-Black" metallic
- Sports steering wheel
- Draft deflector
- Airbag front passenger
- Auto transmission
- Cruise control (not working, must look into)
- Stereo + aut antenna
- Air condition
- Heat insulated glass
- headlamp washer
- 8 hole rims
- Heated seats

The M103 is sweet and gives enough cruising speed for me. I know a 500 SL is another beast, but pricey.

Only known issue besides a non working CC is that the the vacuum operated locks on the door pocket lids don't work on both sides. The pump in the trunk is therefore engaging every 10 sec or so for a few seconds to keep up vacuum pressure. I will pull my vacuum gauge and check, and tee it off for the time being. Pulling the door panels to check further will have to wait. Now I want to enjoy it!

Cheers

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Handsome looking Roadster there...congrats.

Your two problems are most likely just the first of many you'll uncover as you enjoy the ownership. Many will be simple to fix and you've found the right forum to get the answers to sort them all.

The Cruise Control is most likely the N4/2 Tempomat cruise control amplifier module. Here's my documentation on the problem I had and the fix.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/2522193-cruise-control-out.html

If you haven't already done so, buy or make your own blink code reader so you can read the fault codes on your vehicle. Search the pages here for the home made version or EBay or Amazon for a commercial version. This won't help much for the CC issue (my fault indicated the expensive actuator and wasn't correct) but it is an important tool to maintain your Roadster.

The vacuum system is also a common failure. It's likely the pump has failed and it's not a actuator, distributor block or tube. Best way to check is to purchase a mityvac (Mityvac) and check your vacuum/pressure connections manually before you open any panels. If it's your pump it'll need to be professionally rebuilt, it's not consumer friendly and the pump motor isn't available anymore.

Good luck. Are you sure that's a M103 engine and not the M104?

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I've been a very active member of the R107 forum the last couple of years so I know the forum is the best place to be :)

I will check your thread on CC, and I have a vacuum gauge and pump and start from there.

Yes, it has the M103.984 engine. Entry level engine, I know, but it should be reliable. Head gasket was recently replaced, no leaks.

#4 ·
Only questioned the M103 because it wasn't offered in the USA on an R129. There's not much difference except single vs. dual cams.

#6 ·
Congratulations on your purchase! For power top, if this wasn't done recently, it could be a time for a fluid flush. Around this point cylinders start leaking, it is very important to not run the system dry. If you have to fix it - use Top Hydraulics, as they have more durable seals.

#8 ·
Looks very good, well done ? you will notice how quiet and smooth the engine is ,I tend to drive mine on the S setting most of the time which makes it change up gears quicker and doesn't seem to make any difference to fuel consumption.they will cruise all day at the speed limits and beyond ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.