LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Windscreen purchase

Newbie here..... Car I just bought does not have windscreen and I want to purchase one..... Anyone find a " good deal" on a new one?
What does it take to install it?
Does it attach to roll bar (laying down position)?
Where else attached to?
Thx to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 01:00 PM
R129 HTT Founder Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 040 1996 SL500, 775U 2008 R350 4Matic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Just attaches to the roll bar. Probably can order new from MB or just look on eBay they pop up on there often.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1996 SL500 Photo Collection Updated 01-14-16

Mercedes aren't for people who want to have one, it's for people who can have one.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 02:34 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 2001 SL500, 2012 Corvette Z06, 2013 Lexus RX350, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2015 Ram Sport
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
The windscreen attaches to the roll bar with straps and clips. That sounds low-tech but it fits snugly and looks fine. It hinges independently, so you can flip it up without raising the roll bar, but it does not interfere with the roll bar. My car has straps and a cover inside against the back of the trunk to store it, but I usually leave mine mounted. It closes the space behind the seats when it is folded down.

It is almost useless at blocking any wind unless you raise the side windows, and in my opinion, our cars look really dorky with the windows raised, so I rarely use the wind screen, and only when my wife is in the car. I don't have long enough hair to care about wind.

(The side windows have those sharp back corners that ruin the lines of the car. Like the raised soft top, they are both unshapely and look like design afterthoughts - in my opinion.)

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 04:24 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: Mine now: 1997 SL320. Past: 1996 SL320. But also watch a 2013 E350 Cabrio.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
If you'd buy used, hit your local craigslist. There are a few around here for $100. Though I'm trying to buy a spare for half that.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 05:43 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 1992 500SL, 1980 450SL, 1988 560SL, 1977 450SL, 1999 E320 4matic
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Also, if you dealing with someone out of your state and who's willing to ship it to you, make sure you ask if there are any small tears or holes as you may not see them in the pictures. Anywhere from $100-175 I think would be a fair price. I believe on the Los Angeles craigslist there was 2, but one has some holes. If I see any, I'll sent you a PM. Hey there's one from a 2002 Silver arrow edition for $150: Wind Screen Mercedes SL
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 06:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
They are out their, but finding one without any holes and without scratches is another search. Given the age of them, either be ready for a pretty long search or be willing to settle for one that has some minor holes and/or a few scratches on the frame.

Some have tried to rescreen them, but it doesn't look like an easy task, and the screen isn't something readily available.

good luck on searches.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 06:42 PM
R129 HTT Founder Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbischoff View Post
...It is almost useless at blocking any wind unless you raise the side windows, and in my opinion, our cars look really dorky with the windows raised, so I rarely use the wind screen, and only when my wife is in the car. I don't have long enough hair to care about wind...
I think you may be using it incorrectly as I notice quite a big difference with just the windscreen. The main thing is that the rollbar must be lowered and the other half of the windscreen in the up position, this way the air that would get into the area behind the seats is shielded with the roll bar down.

If I do this and then put the windows up there is almost no wind in the car whatsoever.
e-420 and isthenew like this.

Mercedes aren't for people who want to have one, it's for people who can have one.

Last edited by Pete S; 12-10-2015 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Grammar
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 08:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete S View Post
I think you may not be using it correctly as I notice quite a big difference with just the windscreen. The main thing is that the rollbar must be lowered and the other half of the windscreen in the up position, this way the air that would get into the area behind the seats is shielded with the roll bar down.

If I do this and then put the windows up there is almost no wind in the car whatsoever.
yup DW says with the windscreen up correctly (as Pete outlines) even with the windows down it helps tremendously. with the windows up WOW.

But with the rollbar up, may as well put the windscreen in the trunk, hardly does anything.
isthenew likes this.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 08:51 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: Mine now: 1997 SL320. Past: 1996 SL320. But also watch a 2013 E350 Cabrio.
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
While we're on this, I have a question. I have a guy down here on craigslist listing 2 wind deflectors for R107's, which I know almost nothing about. Looking at the picture, the one on reading right likes like it's OEM from an R129. So I shot him a text and he said they're interchangeable on the cars. I take nearly everything said through craigslist with a grain of salt, but is this accurate? Because I looked at R107 defectors and there are a couple different designs out there. And that would open my search quite a bit here.

Here's the ad if people would like to look at the image.

Wind screens for Mercedes
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:30 AM
R129 HTT Founder Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
They do like the correct ones for the R129. As far as interchangability does the R107 even have a roll bar? I never remember seeing one with a rollbar for the windscreen to attach to unless it attaches to something else. Best thing to do is meet the guy and see if it fits the R129 because that is all that matters to you anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in