Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Got my single fin/mesh SLS style grill today. Not sure if I like it yet or not

8K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  buckrogers0025 
#1 ·
I know this isnt everyones cup of tea, but I went ahead and did it. The more I look at it in person the more I like it. I also admit the original looked really nice too. But this does make it look fresher and sportier IMO and more in line with a lot of newer SLs, AMG GT and the SLS. It really does look a lot better in person than in pics and the quality is much better than I had heard it would be and the hole for the hood release was already carved out.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you post a head-on photo so we can see the width of the bar and any dihedral?

I saw a SL 600 withy a similar (possibly exact) grille a couple of weeks ago. I still don't know if I liked it...the bar was a bit to fat (IMHO).

I'd still like something similar for my car....mainly to keep with the SL heritage.

#3 ·
Sorry about all the sun glare but I hope this helps. The more I look at it in person the more I like it. I think Ill be keeping it on

Attachments

Reactions: macysum
#5 ·
There are plenty of other styles available out there but for me, most of them were too loud. I wanted to add a sporty look while also tying the look of the car to many others. I know it isnt for everyone and I can certainly respect that, but the more I look at it the more I like it. And the quality fortunately isnt bad at all as I was worried about. Its quite a nice piece. I doubt anyone that wasnt an R129 aficionado would look at it and think its aftermarket.

#7 · (Edited)
I agree wholeheartedly with retrofitting a single fin Grille to R129 models for both better look than stock; and a valid tie-in to earlier SL class roadsters.

However, IMHO, most single fin Grilles for the R129 chassis feature a fin that is simply too fat.

I think that these single fin type SL Grilles look better with a slimmer fin. However, thinner fin grilles for R129s are next to impossible to find.

So I made my own.

I modified an AMG CLS Sport Grille ( MY 2009 - 2011 ) to fit my 1999 SL500

This, BTW, is a 2009 - 2011 CLS AMG Grill ( before being modified ):

I found a R129 specific single fin Grille, as sold in Germany. They feature the thinner fin, and look very nice in pics, but they Are Expen$ive < 2 - 3x as much than USA E-Bay grilles >

So there it is... I prefer the look of the thinner single fin grilles for our R129s; but did not want to spend $600+ for one such, so I made my own for less than 1/3rd the cost.

-

#8 ·
I have to say Im confused. Did you buy an R129 specific single fin Grille, as sold in Germany or did you customize a CLS grill? Do you have any up close pics of what you did?

#9 ·
I apologize if these lines as seen in my previous post were not clear enough:

"So I made my own. I modified an AMG CLS Sport Grille ( MY 2009 - 2011 ) to fit my 1999 SL500"

"I prefer the look of the thinner single fin grilles for our R129s; but did not want to spend $600+ for one such, so I made my own for less than 1/3rd the cost. "

And; Sorry, no pics.

-

#12 ·
JohnEB I also like the look of Guzzimikes grille, but the only reason I haven't attempted to make one or request one from him is the lack of up close pictures. I asked him a while back to post some and he never acknowledged the request and same thing on this thread, his response is that he has no additional pics, this only leads me to think that the fit and finish isn't very good otherwise why not throw up some detailed pictures?

I have come to the conclusion that it's a 10 foot mod, but I'd love for him to prove my conclusion to be incorrect.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#23 ·
Aesthetic Mods can sometimes be overpowering and an eye sore. I do like that single thinner single grill. Much simpler and a cleaner elegant look. However, 8 times out of 10 the original is far superior to any mod especially with the Mercedes brand when it comes to aesthetics. I love the original grills. They don't make the car look old unless its weathered. The only thing I want to do is to paint my fins black to go with the rest of the car. I'm not one for many changes of the look of a car especially Mercedes and BMWs. To many mods can turn a beauty into a cheezy hodge-podge.

Reactions: PcarGuy
#25 · (Edited)
In the time it took you to post this woe is me, rehashing things we know, calling me lazy and requesting me to kiss your ass you could have posted a pic and shoved it up my nose. Yet you become defensive about posting close up pictures or just don't reply to the request, I'm not breaking your balls now, I have always asked this from the beginning.

I am not asking you to hold my hand and one thing I am not is lazy. I would do this project if I knew it looked good when completed. I have always said that I like how your grille looks but always wondered about the fit and finish.

Again I am not lazy but I am not going to invest my money and my time on something that when I am done I look at and say "well this looks like garbage."

I am not simply going to trust you saying that it looks fine when you refuse to post pictures proving so, which of course is your decision to make. I still don't understand why you refuse to, if you are so proud of your handy work why wouldn't you show it off to us all?

#26 ·
Here my custom single blade grille..:)..

...^^^...Click the picture to view high resolution image for the workmanship of my grille & my hood battle scars....^^^....:nerd..:thumbsup:

#28 ·
#33 · (Edited)
I know they say the SL traditionally had a single bar grille, but I'm not sold on it for the R129. In fact I'm not sold on it for any of the SL range, I think MB could have done better. The OE R129 is class and the 2 bar is my preferred option. IMHO :devil and them frigging wipers jeesh!

Attachments

#34 ·
i have the fifth grille that you posted and imo it does modernize the look. but these plastic grilles are cheap and mine has already broken where the chrome star attaches to the plastic. a quick fix of WELD putty solved the problem for now but when you see the grille five feet away you can tell that it is plastic and cheap.

if i had to do it all over again i wouldve just painted my original metal grille black.

like those cheap burlwood interior "stickers" some things just dont belong on the 129

#35 · (Edited)
Plastic grills

I bought the single fin chinese plastic grill Oct. of 13'...returned it within a week. :grin

It's shinny & bright but you can tell right away it's plastic, especially when you're standing close to it.

The plastic "Star" that comes with the grill is very cheap. It's a very light weight PLASTIC compared to the OEM 5" pot METAL Star. It's held in place with a single 2" tapered plastic pin with a single pinch washer. The poor way the Star attached to the Grill was the main reason I returned it, besides the cheap looking plastic look.

There's only one docking point (the 2" tapered plastic pin) on the entire 5" chinese plastic "Star". There is also 2 small, maybe 1/16th" nubs that try to keep the Star aligned in position, but I can't imagine the nubs doing a very good job holding the 5" Star in place.
As opposed to OEM 5" pot metal Star where there is at least 10-12 guide clips & locking points around the entire circumference of the Star to firmly hold it in place!! On the OEM grill, the Star, once it's locked in place, IS NOT MOVING !! :eek

This is a after market chinese plastic grill & star that is a legitimate couple of steps down from genuine MB quality.:crying

My OEM grill & star has never looked better!!:grin

Attachments

#38 ·
I bought the single fin chinese plastic grill Oct. of 13'...returned it within a week. :grin

It's shinny & bright but you can tell right away it's plastic, especially when you're close to it.

The plastic "Star" that comes with the grill is very cheap. It's a very light PLASTIC compared to the OEM 5" pot METAL Star. It's held in place with a single 2" tapered plastic pin with a single pinch washer. The poor way the Star attached to the Grill was the main reason I returned it.
Besides the cheap looking plastic look.

There's only one docking point (the 2" tapered plastic pin) on the entire 5" chinese plastic "Star". There is also 2 small, maybe 1/16th" nubs that try to keep the Star aligned in position, but I can't imagine the nubs doing a very good job holding the 5" Star in place.
As opposed to OEM 5" pot metal Star where there is at least 10-12 guide clips & locking points around the entire circumference of the Star to firmly hold it in place!!

On the OEM grill, the Star, once it's locked in place, IS NOT MOVING !! :eek
This is an after market chinese plastic grill & star that is a legitimate couple of steps down from MB quality.:crying

My OEM grill & star has never looked better!!:grin
i like the word "chinese" to describe the grille. i would never use mechanical URO "chinese" parts on my car and here i am changing out my perfectly good "german" metal grille for a "chinese" plastic grille.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.