Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

At least she let me keep the Mercedes.

6K views 69 replies 38 participants last post by  Extreme Dimensions 
#1 ·
Getting divorced. She tried to value the 1991 SL at $13k for the property settlement. I laughed.

As of June 1, I'll be in a 3 bedroom townhouse 2 blocks from the beach. Only 1 garage spot so the S55 will sit out and the SL will be in. My daughter just got her license so will get the Nissan.

If anyone wants to visit, the "rent" will be SL improvements.

Anyway, that's why I've been somewhat quiet. Lot going on. Hardest part was telling the kids.

#4 · (Edited)
Scott my best wishes of a smooth transition and I hope things ended on a somewhat positive note where you both can still get along for the kids sake. Good luck with your new start.

EDIT: BTW is your avatar a MB coffin??? Kinda hard to see.

#7 ·
Sorry to hear this Scott. Always sad to hear of someone going through this, especially when kids are involved. I can’t offer any advice i’m afraid, just my best wishes.

Alan

#9 ·
Add my sympathies too, Scott. My parents were divorced when I was still pretty young, then my dad died just a few years later. It's never easy, just remember to lean on your friends. And tell your kids you love them, all the time.

Best of luck. Can't really help you with the 129, though. ;)

Reactions: TankNoir
#10 ·
Went thru this a couple of times. I am a slow learner in it. Never any kids involved.

Wife's are like hurricanes: When they come they are warm and wet. When they leave you, you don't have a car and a house anymore.

You are lucky still having your cars.

Jokes aside, I always had a worse time after, but pulled myself together and came out better then before. Kind of rebooting.

Loosing your stuff also makes you more concentrated on what you really need and want. Try to see this as a positive change in your life. You will have time to concentrate on yourself and what YOU really want and are. Use this momentum.

Sure - you need some time to grieve and be sorrow. But what is, is. Get over it as soon as you can. Never had own kids, but am one. My parents got divorced as I was 14(?), was not that stressful for me. Just take care that the kids are not 'used' as a second front in the divorce or after. Make that point clear to your wife.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

#15 ·
For a glass of milk, one buys a cow.

Stay single.

Take care of your kids.

Regards,
aam.

PS.
I am with the same, the original.

When she says jump.

I make sure that we jump TOGETHER. ;)
I ask how high :)

Sorry to hear the bad news Scott, I hope you can stay positive and not get into a slanging match over the children.

Try and take some time out to get your head sorted, but be aware of what you give up in the settlement.

Mickey Rooney said his property was split 50/50, his wife got the inside of the house and he got the outside. :(

#19 ·
Stay single, that is if you can. I have a few buddies that have told me marriage will set you free. Both of them have been set "free" four times each and now they're both broke. (BTW, if you take good care of your health, stay in good shape, live in a condo at the beach and drive an SL then you won't have too many problems meeting women because good looking, older single guys are a rare commodity.) Good luck and best wishes.

#22 ·
One have to know the poster to understand what the poster is saying. And I'm positively sure AAM is not as mean as the what his posts appears to be.
Can't comment on that, only his words

But a divorce can make a person that way and lead him to miss out on a lot of good things

In many cases a second marriage is better due to the experience garnered from the first

Not saying set out on a mission to find a relationship
Just don't close your mind due to the pain

#24 ·
"Hi" Scott......

Sorry to hear about it & hopefully everything will work out on your favorite....:)

Best Regards,
Tony

PS
My I ask how long have you been married....??

#27 ·
@scottejupiter, sorry to hear of your situation. Take some time to be you, take care of yourself physically and emotionally, it is not the end of the world, just an upheaval in yours that, over time will settle.

Talk to your friends, family don't be ashamed to voice your feelings. There were several members on this forum who pm'd me after my divorce and kept me focused on the good and not just the bad.

Your pain will fade and each person is different; it may take years; but one day you will wake up and fell yourself again.

We are all here for you.

Reactions: macysum
#28 ·
I see advice about taking care of the kids first. I must point out that if you don't take care of yourself, you can't do justice to the kids.

As my first marriage (19 years of "doing the right thing") ended, I felt disoriented for just a couple of months, then into a new routine, and shortly found the real one.

I am almost 20 years into my second marriage. It has been great - even through challenges of one kind or another. And the kid (1972350SL) turned out just fine and is now a Dad to my twin grandkids - and current owner of the 72 SL.

#30 ·
Sorry to hear it. Im going through one too. I also have a lot of health problems and because of her had 2 heart attacks in 09/14, almost died. She aint comin back no matter how hard she tries. Life is tough, I hope youre doing ok. Vent if you need to, it can help. For me, my cars and motorcycle are the only things that keep me active and keep me going.

Good luck friend

Reactions: macysum
#32 ·
I'm 48. Been with her half my life, 24 years. Sad but it's time.

The first 10 were great, couldn't ask for better. Then the kids came and I took a back seat. The last 5 have been strained. We just want different things.

People joked that when I bought the convertible it was my mid-life crisis. The divorce is just the culmination of it.

What the hell happens when we reach our 40's and get everything we thought we wanted but it's not enough?

My daughters are 11 and 16. The older one will be fine. In two years she will be off to college anyway. Will have to spend extra time with the younger as she is taking it hard.

Anyway thanks for all the words of support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.