Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

HHTWIN SDS Advice and issues

107K views 266 replies 57 participants last post by  jlaa 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This topic is aimed at the growing number of members that have purchased MB Star diagnostic systems.

Post 1996 OB2 models are fairly easy to read, however the early diagnostic system HHTWIN encompassed within the very latest Star system is more difficult to get grips with, so this is a trial sticky topic to address any issues encountered using the hhtwin system.

In essence HHTWIN is a hi-tech version of our LED blink code readers.

#2 ·
I'm up first with this topic :)

With my 1993 SL500 I connected the C4 MUX to the 38 pin connector.

The "Short Test" ran but only one of the nine modules reported data for 'Gasoline Engine'.
Chassis, Body and Climate all reported no connection to the MUX!!!

Any ideas??

#4 ·

James:

I have the 1995 SL500, and I am rather certain we share the same Engine, but not all the same Chassis, Body, and Climate Control systems.

When I look at the Fault Code Manual:

1) The DM Digital LH covers 1991 - 1996 M119

2) The ETC is from 1990 - 1995

3) but, ABS is from 1994 - 1995 only

4) RST is from 1990 -1993, or 1994 - 1996

5) SRS is from 1988 - 1993 or 1994 -1995

However, the HHT-WIN should cover all years from 1989 onwards.

When I ran HHT-WIN, I got everything for Engine, Chassis, and Body, but NO CC (Climate Control). 3 out of 4.

I assumed because the CC has its own built-in Diagnostic Output, HHT-WIN would be superfluous. However, I may be wrong about this.

I think your situation needs referring to one of the Trained MB Technicians who would know from experience if HHT-WIN can do all your SL's systems. I'm rather certain C4 should cover yours.

May be a glitch in the program on your particular SDconnect software and/or hardware.

God Bless, Arctic

#3 ·
Interesting. I have not connected my SDS on cars earlier than 97, so I can't be much of help.

Can you connect to other modules individually? What does the short test say for the other modules? Does it show an exclamation mark? Like. -!- ?

#5 ·
Xentry took me to DAS, and DAS switched over (automatically) to good old HHT-WIN, again. Guess my 16-year old SUV's system is a bit ancient in the scheme of Mercedes-Benz technology.
From what I've seen:

All MB from late 80's to 99 = HTT-win
All MB from 2001 to 2009 = DAS
All MB from 2010+ = Xentry

The year 2000 is a weird transition period -- some MB made in 1999 but the model year is 2000 will be diagnosed from the 38-pin under the hood and thus use HTT-win. Other MB made in early 2000 and sold as a 2000 model will have the OBD port and the SDS will require the OBD cable to diagnosis....and will use DAS.

And then there are orphan cars, like some SLK models -- some 2000-2001 SLK require the 38-pin.

I've even seen a 2000 E320 that had both 38-pin and OBD port -- I could use either port to conduct a full diagnosis. That was funny.

#6 ·
I'll run it again today and take some screen grabs, also I'll run hhtwin on my 1998 SL500 which also has the round 38pin diagnostic connector.

#8 ·
James:

From what I recall, BGupdate is an executable file, for 3rd-party programing, used by Windows XP-based Software Developers.

The MB STAR C4 software is fully loaded on your HDD, and there should be no need to use, modify, or reprogram STAR C4's software via BGupdate. Any attempt to do so, may result in a crashed STAR C4 program.

What I am doing with regard to any updates and internet connections is TO STAY AWAY from doing any of it.

I will not be going onto the internet with the laptop UNLESS required by the Seller's Technical Support to update or fix the software via TeamViewer.

If I wish to share anything off the STAR C4 screen shots, I'll download them from the laptop onto a USB Memory Stick, and then upload them onto the internet using my desktop office computer.

I plan to completely isolate the STAR C4 laptop and its software.

On another note, I will start posting some useful MS Word and PDF documents regarding STAR C4 Diagnostics on this Sticky.... stay tuned.

I'm pleased to hear that you had better results with the 1998 SL500. :smile

God Bless, Arctic

#9 ·
Thanks Arctic, that's what I thought about updating.

I'm still puzzled with HHT-WIN, with my '93 SL500 and '98 SL500. I can access RV with the '98 but not with the '93!

I still have to copy screengrabs via a USB stick to my desktop PC to upload the images...... Or can I go online with the thinkpad and login to BenzWorld without the SDS system updating and "Bricking"?

#11 ·
Correct. Always keep your SDS separate from everything else -- don't even let it connect to routers etc.

I only use the BGupdate to update the Connect4 to the latest version so it could work with 2014 xentry. Previously it was on 2011 version.

And even then, it wasn't connected -- I downloaded a cooked update file that was specifically designed for clone SDS connect 4.

#12 ·
Screen shots as promised:

These are from my 1998 SL500 and as you can see HHTWIN will not connect to some of the modules.

Attachments

#14 ·
James:

Nice posting on your screen shots! .:goojob:

Does your RV (soft top) module respond when you use your Flash Code Reader?

If RV does respond with Flash Code Reader, then your problem isn't the Control Module, but something wrong with the cable or hardware/software.

I'm assuming you are keeping a 2-amp Battery Tender constantly hooked up to your SL's battery during all these tests.

RV responded perfectly on my 1995 SL500 with the STAR C4.... the RV Module had stored a number of fault codes from when I had Klaus recondition all the hydraulic cylinders, and I was having to move parts of the soft top up & down to do the removal and re-installation.

God Bless, Arctic

#15 · (Edited)
I don't think it's a problem with his software, per se, but more like the car is too old....that, or the CAN network (or whatever the hell they call module to module communication in those days) is disconnected.

You for sure need to be able to connect to the engine ME. The fact that you are unable to points to a cable fault in the car.

Pull out some wiring harness and trace the diagnosis wire from the ME to the 38 pin.

Ps. Thanks for the post in the sticky! Makes me feel all important and stuff. :D

Glad to be of help.

EDIT:

What kind of fuel injection does the 93 SL use? EFI, or the older CIS or HFM?

#16 ·
Ps. Thanks for the post in the sticky! Makes me feel all important and stuff. :D

Glad to be of help.
Thanks for all of your help and suggestions, and your contributions are very welcome

I don't think I have wiring harness issue because this car was bought, used and driven in Germany until exported to the UK in 1998, so any wiring harness issues would have been recalled and addressed prior to my buying the car in 2006.

#19 ·
ALL STAR C4 Users:

I wanted to attach the following MS Word documents:

1) Handy STAR C4 German-to-English Translations

2) Mercedes Fault Code Listing

3) How To Activate EPC & WIS Programs

4) How to Activate Xentry Program

but each of these instructions exceeded the allowable file size for BenzWorld...:crying

Maybe Redliner can allow an exception?

God Bless, Arctic

#21 ·
Ah.... I would not recommend posting the actual files. A guide with pictures, that's better.

The reason being that everything we currently have is....for the lack of better word, pirated. Even the SDS Connect 4 is a pirate copy. Some dude stole the plans and diagram of SDS and created his own.

It's why "genuine" SDS still commands a price tag of $10,000 for a used one.

So, I would recommend that in accordance to forum rules (and not get redline in legal trouble), you should create a pdf with screenshots and guide, but that's about it. The user should find the "program" on his own...which isn't that hard to find, really.

#23 ·
I can see everyones point of view on this and there's always a way round everything.

Arctic, re-setting limits of file sizes would have to apply across the board and not to just one particular set of files, so a no-no I'm afraid.

Re. the copyright issues. All across BenzWorld on a daily basis anyone posting a diagram or photo from WIS, Mitchell etc.is technically infringing copyright rules which is known about and tacitly allowed. Blatant infringements such as Comand maps being offered are jumped on and deleted immediately.

In this particular case Dan's suggestion is the all round most suitable solution, upload the files to Dropbox or Mediafire, then include the link. Members then can choose whether to look at them or not.

James.

#25 ·
Hi James:

As far as I know, HHT-WIN should be able to read all Modules.

Having said that, for Model Years 1990 - 12/1993, the Roadster Soft Top Module has 30 possible fault codes associated with it.
Whereas for Model Years 1/1994 - 1996, the Roadster Soft Top Module has only 11 possible fault codes associated with it.

HHT-WIN successfully read the RST (RV) Module for my 1995 SL500.

I'm wondering if Mr. Muller (the Software/Hardware Developer for M-B diagnostics) left the 1990 - 12/1993 RST Module portion out of the HHT-WIN program, and left it to "blink codes" instead?

God Bless, Arctic

#26 ·
read the soft top codes successfully for my 97 with C3 and HHTWIN.

#27 ·
Another hint for those using HHTWIN and at least the C3 diags.

I was having trouble getting HHTWIN to come up from xentry. I would get to a screen with German, then nothing. then I hit enter and got a "Data are being loaded" then nothing . Then I hit enter again and HHTWIN loaded.

Not real obvious how to get to HHTWIN. Don't know if C4 is the same or not.

#28 ·
I think there are two screens in German that you have to agree to before it will load. Translated it probably means "We are not responsible for any cock-ups you make when using this equipment" and "Hi, my name's Helga, if you want any........"
oops wrong page!

Really though, I just hit F3 when I see a page of German and hope for the best. It does then end up on the HHTWIN screen.

Reactions: MSrobots
#30 ·
Has anyone been brave enough (or maybe crazy enough) to use HHTWIN to trigger the roll bar??? In the RV menu there is an option that requires you to enter a 4 digit number matching the random number displayed then takes you to a screen that says "trigger the roll bar" or something similar I got to that point and said "NO". anyone brave enough to try it with a YES answer and report back the results??

#32 ·
For what's it worth, I tried this with the R230. The rollover bar triggers so fast that it scared me. It also launched the sweater I had put on it clear over the windshield and into the trash bin. :eek

It took me a while to figure out how to reset the roll over bar.

However, I am not sure that if you trigger the roll over bar, you may not be able to reset it -- since your car is the older R129. Test at your own risk! (and don't have anything on or near the roll bar!)

#31 ·
Key coding

Hi guys,

Hopefully its not entirely off topic, I am wondering if someone had experience in adding keys in WSP via MB star?
Ive scored a new blank key off Ebay under 2 pounds, got it cut, digged out a chip from another MB key and installed in my key, that I just got cut. It is recognised, so it should work once programmed. Programming wise I got as far as receiving the random number from the unit (see pic), but next step requires a different pattern of numbers, which I think is calculated by FDOK/Vedoc calculator.
By any chance some of you would have one of these little calculators so I could enter the deciphered code, to go to the next step in adding the new key?
Thanks!!

Attachments

#34 ·
so far the HHT has been informative. erased RST codes, top works, going through other functions found some neat ones. Turn on/off headlights, taillights, turn the electric fans onto each of the 4 speeds etc.

But on my car the IR remote section doesn't do what I expect. 97SL500 with the one button IR remote.

The locks work as they should, no problems. But HHT keeps coming up with Errror B1100, and when I go into the list of functions, it doesn't recognize the IR locking/unlocking the doors, nor can I use the HHT to lock/unlock doors etc. HHT says it sent the info but nothing happens.

Anyone else tried this? any success??

#35 ·
Xentry/DAS System on Later Models

I have what I believe is the C3 Xentry system and I have been using the HHT emulator in it for some time to service my W140 and R129 cars.

I recently bought a 2003 S430, which I believe can be connected to this system as well. The question I have, since I've not been faced with this previously, is how to connect it?

Since the W220 has no 38 pin diagnostic socket, I'm assuming that the system utilizes the OBDII cable connected to the port under the dash. I did receive such a cable with the multiplexer, so it would make sense that this is the way to communicate with the later model cars.

I'm just looking for confirmation of that...

Thanks,

Dan

#36 ·
I have what I believe is the C3 Xentry system and I have been using the HHT emulator in it for some time to service my W140 and R129 cars.

I recently bought a 2003 S430, which I believe can be connected to this system as well. The question I have, since I've not been faced with this previously, is how to connect it?

Since the W220 has no 38 pin diagnostic socket, I'm assuming that the system utilizes the OBDII cable connected to the port under the dash. I did receive such a cable with the multiplexer, so it would make sense that this is the way to communicate with the later model cars.

I'm just looking for confirmation of that...

Thanks,

Dan
while I can't confirm, I believe you are correct and will use the OBDII port if the 38 pin is not there. from the info I received when looking for systems, C3 is good on model years through 2010 or 2011 C4 needed for later years. So, I have the C3 system.

#38 ·
SDS new user

Hi all, I got my SDS last week , initially I chose the external USB disc option but have now installed it on my recently acquired Dell 630. Everything installed well, however when I get to the point of using it and it automatically goes to use HHT(as my car is a 1993 model)it says"diagnostic connector is being initialised" however then it says"com port assigned! close other use!"
I took this to mean I had it on wrong COM port and sure enough I had it on COM 1 but have changed it to COM 2 both on the machine XP and on the virtual XP machine ( I am using the RS232 connector to the 38 pin diagnostic connector) but it said the same thing again, is there an easy fix for this please? Thanks, Jim.:)

#39 ·
Hi all, I got my SDS last week , initially I chose the external USB disc option but have now installed it on my recently acquired Dell 630. Everything installed well, however when I get to the point of using it and it automatically goes to use HHT(as my car is a 1993 model)it says"diagnostic connector is being initialised" however then it says"com port assigned! close other use!"
I took this to mean I had it on wrong COM port and sure enough I had it on COM 1 but have changed it to COM 2 both on the machine XP and on the virtual XP machine ( I am using the RS232 connector to the 38 pin diagnostic connector) but it said the same thing again, is there an easy fix for this please? Thanks, Jim.:)
go to the windows system menu in control panel and under the harware section look at the com port assignmennts and make sure the com port you designated isn't already assigned to something else.

also, does the dell630 have a dedicated RS232 com port or are you using a usb/pcmcia/cardbus to RS232 converter.