Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Star diagnostics

9K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  Cinnasnootzer 
#1 ·
I've just ordered one of these, DAS/Xentry MB STAR Compact 4 SD C4.
It's coming with WIS EPC Xentry etc. (2014) pre loaded onto laptop PC.
The C4 multiplexer has all of the various leads for MB cars and trucks.

Has anyone else bought and used one of these and what's their opinion?

I've got three MB cars and I needed a more sophisticated diagnostic scanner than my home made blink version which is only of any use with my older 1993 SL500.
This new scanner is good for all cars from 1989 until present so I should be able to read and reset codes for all of my cars.
I've got to knuckle down and rid my '93 SL500 of the recurring ASR problem and also an intermittent BAS/ESP fault on my '98 SL500.
My 2005 ML270cdi now has an intermittent SRS fault.
Hopefully now I will be able to get to the bottom of these problems and find permanent fixes.

#2 ·
how much did it cost and where did you get it? i have and aftermarket scanner called autologic it works great but does not have wis

Reactions: Vasir
#3 ·
#7 ·
Thanks for that informative link Martin, most seem very happy with what they've bought.
The unit I'm getting is the C4 WiFi version and hopefully as I've bought it with a Lenovo ThinkPad laptop PC, it's supposed to work straight out of the box.
We shall see :)

Reactions: Vasir
#8 ·
Actually James, for that price and taking into account that they give you the laptop too, I think it's an excellent deal since the real deal at the dealership is as far as I can remember between 3,000 and 5,000 € including the annual subscription fees. Also maybe Lenovo might not sound as the best name in the business when it comes to computers but we have to remember that they bought the computer division from IBM which IS (or was) a big name in the business computerwise so don't be scared about that brand. Also, we have to take into account that the C4 is wifi and bluetooth and that's a big bonus if you ask me over the C3 since it's more portable and being wireless it's a joy to use.

Yes I had the chance to use the real C4 here and it's a pretty little nice tool so I think that this clone should be as nice to use as the real McCoy and if this clone has the developer mode too even better.

That said I'm looking forward to hear your reviews James and in case you come back to Italy I might consider stealing it from your hands ;) eheheh.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

#9 ·
Hi Mick, it was probably IBM because LeNovo still call them Think Pads.

It's still on it's way but it may be here early next week.

The developer mode will be useful for removing the top speed limitations etc.
It would be good to find a site like those game cheat web-sites that tell you how to re-programme the onboard computers :D

#11 ·
I have the MB star tool, with C4 and all that jazz.

My suggestion: play around with the DAS simulation and Xentry simulation before you actually start to work for real.

By the time you learn the layout of the program, you'll be pretty much a pro going exactly where you want to look at. F6 is a big help. :)

Be careful with programming...some das/xentry do not do offline programming unless you download a hack. Offline coding, however, is possible. Speed limit removal isn't possible, even with developer mode. But you can raise the speed limiter from 155 mph to 170mph or so....every model is different.

#12 ·
Very good advice... I received the C4 MUX, laptop and leads today.

The learning curve is like the North face of the Eiger :)

There is so much to learn but no instruction manuals that I can find to help.
I've been playing with the Xentry and DAS simulators before I even attempt to plug into one of my cars.

Superfast delivery from Hong Kong to Spain in just one day, thousands of miles, then Drop it Hide it Lose it DHL took over and took four days to deliver from Sevilla to Casares about 200 miles

#13 ·
You can ask us if you want to figure something out. I have the same system and could probably tell you the steps to take when you need to do something.

Given the list of cars in your profile, I think you should concentrate your attention on DAS -- Xentry is for 2010+ cars, I believe.

WIS has some useful instructions and wiring diagrams -- though the search function is a serious PITA.

#14 ·
Thanks again for the advice. Just with the simulators DAS didn't seem too daunting, however your PM inbox may see some action if I get out of my depth.

#16 ·
I tried out the C4 SDS today on my ML270cdi .
Using DAS it immediately identified my SDS problem and what to look for to repair or replace.

I'll next try it out on my 1998 SL500 which has an intermittent ESP/BAS warning light.

So far very impressed with the system. The ThinkPad X61 tablet that was supplied with the system is a joy to behold with the touch screen and touch pen.

The C4 wireless multiplexer is also a very good option, instead of being cramped up in the car, I could read all of the transmitted information in the comfort of my kitchen with coffee and biscuits.

One thing that I must comment on is that it is essential to use six AA rechargeable batteries in the C4 MUX, Normal Ni-Cad cells will be rendered useless very quickly. I gathered that the rechargeable AA batteries are charged when the MUX is plugged into the OB2 socket???

There is so much included with this system that I shall spend many happy mornings in my kitchen with the cars connected with WiFi going through the immense amount of accessible data.

#17 ·

James:

Glad to hear you're enjoying the MB SD C4.

I've just bought a Dell D630, and I'm getting a C4 system with the software pre-installed on a D630 hard drive that I can simply slide into the laptop, and I'm good to go..... either via LAN cable, or via WiFi.

One of the suggestions from Forum Members who are using the C4 system is to:

"Oh, and a REAL good idea is to have the car running or a decent battery charger hooked up for the scan. Many many items get powered up, and looked at, and the battery will not hold 12.5 V very long on its own." :wink

God Bless, Arctic

#29 ·
It's also 100+ GB in size -- and that's without the EPC and WIS.

I have a VMware image of those, and like I said, they're 80-100Gb in size for the core software alone.

Add in EPC and WIS, it'll balloon to 400-500Gb. It's why there are ebay listings for the MB software (everything) being sold on a HDD.

#30 ·
I did read somewhere that these HDDs come loaded with Trojans.

I can't see the logic in this because what will they infect???? I'm sure it's just scaremongering.

I also read that some can get the Star system to work with VM but it's an uphill task.

I'm still happily playing with my system and have plugged it into my 1993 SL500. Of course the interface is not as slick as OBD2, in fact rather clunky, but it so much more convenient than my blink system.

#31 ·
I did read somewhere that these HDDs come loaded with Trojans.

I can't see the logic in this because what will they infect???? I'm sure it's just scaremongering.
Software from China, Russia and many other countries could well contain Malware. What could it infect? Anything and everything inside your WiFi or Ethernet network. What will that mean to you? Every digital document you have could be at risk to be stolen, any camera on your smartphone or tablet could be activated without your permission and more perniciously all your passwords/login credentials can be compromised.

Do any of these bad actors care about you personally? Probably not but if you do opt for the WiFi version I'd be sure to use a "safe" DNS (Domain Name Server) in your router's (and computers') network settings that filters out known bad websites. This makes it hard for the bad guys to get information out of your home. It's easy to do and provides some protection (anti-virus is pretty useless against these "advanced persistent threats"). OpenDNS is probably the best known (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) and another free one is Norton DNS for Home (198.153.192.50 and 198.153.194.50).

I also lock my house when I leave :). My 2 cents...

#34 ·
With the system I've got any connection to the Internet is disabled so that SDS can't update, the only WiFi connection is dedicated to the C4 MUX.

Thanks anyway Ed for explaining the intriguing tactics from the 'Dark Side' :)

#35 ·
Pardon me for being obtuse here, but can you grind this down to the lowest common denominator ? Years ago it was the common wisdom that this system would only work with a Thinkpad. There seems to be some discrepancy. Can the simpler system be interfaced with any brand laptop and used wired without all that other monkey motion ? :confused:

#36 ·

Hi Tracy:

It's a slightly steep learning curve to absorb all this Tech Stuff, so permit me to take a stab at summarizing it for you (and likely for others, too).

However, there are certified MB Technicians, who are Forum Members in BenzWorld, who could explain this subject more precisely.

1) Mercedes-Benz originally came out with its first diagnostic tool called the Hand Held Tester (HHT) part number 965 589 00 01 00 and the adapter harness 965 598 00 40 00. (See the 1st pic, attached)

2)
HHT was then phased out and a newer version was introduced called the Star Diagnosis System or "SDS". It was also known as the "Compact 2" or "Star C2" system. It was based on a multiplexer (MUX) linked with the IBM Thinkpad Laptop.

The SDS design required a dedicated "Serial Port" or RS-232 Port. At the time, the IBM Thinkpad had a 2.0 GHZ CPU and a 1 GB Memory capability, and was the only laptop, at that time, powerful enough to run Star C2.
(See the 2nd pic, attached)

3) The next evolution of MB scanners was the "Compact 3" or "Star C3". It was lighter and easier to use than the C2 and had added functionality, such as a DAS<->WIS switch. It also ran off a dedicated laptop.
(See the 3rd pic, attached)

4) Next came "Star Diagnosis 4" or "SDconnect". It incorporated all the latest technology of Mercedes-Benz diagnostic technology. It runs off a laptop with at least 2.0 GHz of CPU speed, a minimum of 2 GB Memory, and a Hard Disk Drive (HDD) of ~ 120 GB. The cloned systems are offered with the complex software pre-loaded on a IBM T30, or the faster DELL D630 laptop, or an external HDD that you can use with other types of laptops of your choice. The SDconnect allows regular updates for applications and data via the internet. This system incorporates WiFi, which is very handy for the professional M-B Technician who maybe servicing multiple cars and requires mobility.
As per James' purchase, this system can also be bought as a complete package. (See the 4th pic, attached)

4-B) Finally, there is also a "Compact C4" clone without WiFi. It has all the capabilities of the SDconnect C4 but without WiFi. It, too, requires a pre-loaded HDD used in the IBM T30, or DELL D630, or external HDD.
(See the 5th pic, attached)

Hope this helps to clarify the history/evolution of the MB scanners.

Hopefully, I didn't make too many errors in the explanation.

God Bless, Arctic.

Attachments

#42 ·
The C4 MUX that I saw on a retail web site had wifi and a lan cable....so apparently can connect to the old Lap using the hard line. It is like the second picture from Artic a few posts ago in this thread.

So if one were to go to $tarbuks and use their WIFI to update this monster program would it be considerate to order 7 Grandes given it is going to take hours?

#43 · (Edited)
...would it be considerate to order 7 Grandes given it is going to take hours?
Yes, it would be considerate. But, I've seen those hipsters hanging out by the Starbucks patio with laptops on and free ice water in a Starbucks cup all day long. The same as those senior citizens at MacDonald s having unlimited coffee refills with their ipads.

I guess, what I'm saying is that, a few hours using wifi at those places is not frowned upon these days. And management of those establishments appears to encourage such activities.

Just my observation.

#44 ·
Hipsters luv tha WIFI.

Well in any event I am personally glad to have the opportunity to read the threads on this site on diagnostics equipment, from scanners to software based. I am going to get a C4 MUX with a Dell Laptop to use for my cars.....My hope is that I am able to figure out the applications and use them to good effect for repairs. Almost purchased a used Snap On Solus but given that my two emails to Snap On Customer Service regarding purchasing an upgrade of the software went unanswered I decided to skip that.

Happy motoring

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.