Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   R129 SL Class (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/)
-   -   M113 valve cover gasket engine oil leak?? (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1769313-m113-valve-cover-gasket-engine-oil.html)

Fkgomez 10-04-2013 08:48 PM

M113 valve cover gasket engine oil leak??

1999 R129 M113 engine

Hello all. Today while I was checking the engine bay I found a small oil leak coming from the engine block. I don't know what the part is called but maybe y'all can tell me. And also how to fix it.

The green arrows is where I saw the leak... ( I bleieve thats the manifold?)

Then I stuck my finger behind those bolts in the red colored circles, and my fingers turned up wet with fresh oil.

Not a lot but it's seeping. The leak is only behind those two red circled bolts

http://f.cl.ly/items/403v443T1x3b0l2R2K14/oilLeak.jpg
hope its not a major job. i don't trust the mechanics in miami.

Thanks

rorypff 10-04-2013 09:48 PM

Very common oil leak on these engines - do a search on this forum under M112 and M113 engine valve cover leaks - tons of information available.:bowdown:

Fkgomez 10-05-2013 09:04 AM

I don't think I can DIY this one... 3 questions:

1. is this an expensive repair, whats the average costs?
2. Is it urgent, can more damage happen?
3. DO I have to replace both gaskets or only the one leaking?

There are many MB mechanics in miami, just dont know which ones to trust...

Couldn't really find much information about it on the forum maybe im not looking in the right place

lynns 10-05-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fkgomez (Post 6341634)
I don't think I can DIY this one... 3 questions:

1. is this an expensive repair, whats the average costs?
2. Is it urgent, can more damage happen?
3. DO I have to replace both gaskets or only the one leaking?

There are many MB mechanics in miami, just dont know which ones to trust...

Couldn't really find much information about it on the forum maybe im not looking in the right place

Frank, this is a common problem as the 113/112 engine ages. You probably have a Breather Cover sealant leak on the passenger side Valve Cover (Cylinder Head Cover). This is NOT an urgent repair that you can DIY or pay an Indy to do just the side that's leaking. Please see Sealing the Breather Cover on a 112/113 engine Valve Cover (Cylinder Head Cover) from the last Blue Sticky.

Fkgomez 10-05-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynns (Post 6345106)
Frank, this is a common problem as the 113/112 engine ages. You probably have a Breather Cover sealant leak on the passenger side Valve Cover (Cylinder Head Cover). This is NOT an urgent repair that you can DIY or pay an Indy to do just the side that's leaking. Please see Sealing the Breather Cover on a 112/113 engine Valve Cover (Cylinder Head Cover) from the last Blue Sticky.

The leak I found was in the driver side front of the valve cover... Not on the rear... The indy quoted me 500 to change both sided valve cover gaskets. so I'm guessing half to so just one.

lynns 10-05-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fkgomez (Post 6346722)
The leak I found was in the driver side front of the valve cover... Not on the rear... The indy quoted me 500 to change both sided valve cover gaskets. so I'm guessing half to so just one.

The drivers side Breather Cover is less work than the passenger side. BTW, the Valve Cover Gaskets usually don't need to be repaired. If you haven't done so already pull the front Engine Cover and you'll see the drivers side Breather Cover located on the top front of the Valve Cover and it's ease of access.

Fkgomez 10-05-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynns (Post 6346906)
The drivers side Breather Cover is less work than the passenger side. BTW, the Valve Cover Gaskets usually don't need to be repaired. If you haven't done so already pull the front Engine Cover and you'll see the drivers side Breather Cover located on the top front of the Valve Cover and it's ease of access.

So that small leak is coming from the breather cover? not the valve cover? Or do I have to open it to really find out... I've never removed the engine cover need to research on how to do it... For the m113...

I looked through the PDF on the link you provided, those are instructions for a 112 (v6) guessing its very similar. Why is the driver's side easier?

Lynns your posts are great and you are very helpful. You make owning a r129 even better. Thank you.

:bowdown:

lynns 10-05-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fkgomez (Post 6347170)
So that small leak is coming from the breather cover? not the valve cover? Or do I have to open it to really find out... I've never removed the engine cover need to research on how to do it... For the m113...

I looked through the PDF on the link you provided, those are instructions for a 112 (v6) guessing its very similar. Why is the driver's side easier?

Drivers side Breather Cover is easier due to ease of access. The 112 engine is a modular engine first built as a V6 then v8 as the 113. Please browse through the entire thread at 113 / 112 maintenance in order to become more familiar with your car's drive line.

eurotrash13 10-06-2013 12:10 PM

Here are some instructions I used on replacing the valve cover gasket: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...er-gasket.html
Just did this and the breather cover last weekend. Initially, I thought it were my gasket covers leaking, but once I removed the air filter housing, it became apparent that it was mainly the breather cover that was leaking. I changed the valve cover gaskets anyway. The first side takes a little bit longer, but once you are done with that, the other side goes a lot quicker. I spend most of the time getting the old sealant of the breather cover and valve cover. Don't forget to get new bolts for the breather cover and no need to put sealant on the valve cover gaskets.

lynns 10-06-2013 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by eurotrash13 (Post 6352529)
Don't forget to get new bolts for the breather cover and no need to put sealant on the valve cover gaskets.

Thanks but I don't think the screws are necessary unless the heads are damaged and your right NOT to use the Sealant on the Valve Cover Gaskets and lets not forget to buy a Female Torx Socket Set.