1992 500 SL CD player questions - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 2001 E300W(ELEGANCE) 500 SL (R129)
Lifetime Premium Member
1992 500 SL CD player questions

I have a 1992 500 SL and I want to add a factory CD player. I have two questions

1. Is my car per wired for the addition like my 500 SEL was or do I have to mess with adding the interface and

2. Does anyone have the part number for that model ( it does NOT use the fibre optic system).

I would replace the stereo but the guys at crutchfield and best buy both agree that with the way the audio system is designed it would cost more to install a new system than it would be to buy the head unit and amp required and would be really expensive.

Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
Non-fiber optic changer is CDC MC3194.

You might want to just send your HU to Becker to install an aux output for mp3 players instead of installing a cd changer. The cost is almost the same. I went down that road of replacing my defective cd changer and it took 2-3 cd changer to find one that works. (I can't find anyone who repairs these old model cd changer.)

After all the time and money spent to make my system work as original, IMO I would have been better off sending my hu for AUX input upgrade. MP3 with 50-75 CD is much better than 6-disc CD changer installed at the trunk.

Just my 2 cents.
edcarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 1998 SL500
If you have the Bose system almost any head unit will drive it, this quite contrary to conventional wisdom. The BE1492 and BE1692 stock radios drive the Bose amplfier via their loudspeaker outputs, which are rated at 15W or so. The low impedance speaker outputs are terminated in the Bose amp by some fairly high resistance, but not the usual 10k+ Ohms typically seen. This is why a 4 V or better output is needed if you try to drive the Bose amp from pre-amp outputs.

Driving the amp from loudspeaker outputs is not the best interface, however for automotive environments THD levels of 0.5 or even 1.0+% are pretty much indistinguishable from better performance. Also the Bose system manipulates frequency and phase response to such an extent that any other "speaker output" interface related issues become insignificant.

Add a crummy MP3 source to the mix and they become irrelevant...
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Bose wasn't available that year

Nimrodthewombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 1998 SL500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodthewombat View Post
Bose wasn't available that year

I thought it might not have been--do you know when it was introduced?
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 92 500SL, 95 Range Rover LWB, 82 Rolls Royce Silver Spirit, 67 Plym Baracuda conv
I have a 92 500SL and it had the CD unit (and mobile phone). I replaced it with a new head unit - a 1 din Pioneer AVH-P6300BT with a 7" pop up touch screen. While the wiring was a hassle, it was not too tricky once you determined the wiring. You have to cut into the wiring in 2 locations. 1 in the trunk and the other under the passenger footwell. The wiring you choose depends on the headunit and which speakers you want to use.

I love this setup - the bluetooth + hands free mic and full integration with ipod/iphone gives you touchscreen access to your phone book and your music.
ibdtcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Is the car prewired though?

Nimrodthewombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 92 500SL, 95 Range Rover LWB, 82 Rolls Royce Silver Spirit, 67 Plym Baracuda conv
The car is prewired, but the wiring configuration changes depending on the original setup. The Becker tuner is in the trunk, not in the headunit. If your car originally had a CD changer, there were control leads from the headunit back to the trunk to the changer as well. Since I originally had the CD changer and mobile phone, I ran my subwoofer/channel 2 leads to the trunk and cut into the midrange and tweeter in the passenger footwell using the channel 1 leads. This thread may help http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1628123-aftermarket-audio-1992-becker-equipped-500sl.html

Do you know the original radio that your car had?

It really wasn't difficult to wire in a new headunit. My complication was pulling out all of the obsolete mobile phone spaghetti.
ibdtcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class