Coolant reservoir tank: updated version? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 1995 SL500
Coolant reservoir tank: updated version?

Hi,

New to the forum and working through a laundry list of small fixes. The previous owner was not so focused on maintenance...but that allowed me to purchase the car a few thousand below market prices I had been watching.

Anyway, this weekend's work is on the coolant reservoir. Mine was leaking at the cap and then I noticed a pin hole on the side that would bubble just a bit out when hot.

I ordered a new tank and cap, received the tank with an OEM part number that matched Mercedes, but it takes the new plastic cap. The same website suggested for my 1995 SL500 that I should order the metal version.

I guess the site was technically correct, if I was not removing my 1995 tank, the metal would be the correct fit. I was frustrated that they sent me the new version tank with the old version cap.

Not to name names as it 'technically' is the correct cap for a 1995 but wanted to remind/warn the forum to confirm you are getting a matching cap and tank at the same time.

Since the shipping is 5 days to Colorado and I already drained coolant, replaced thermostat, new drive belt, and I'm ready to mix up a batch of coolant, I'm trying a local parts store for a cap to fit newer model Mercedes. Really hoping this one will fit.

Going to notify the online parts company that if they are picturing the new version tank with a plastic threaded female top, they should suggest the new version cap to go with it.
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 1995 SL500
Update: local parts radiator cap works!

New to the forum and don't want to break any rules on naming company names here, so local parts store was able to locate a plastic cap for me today and have it brought up from Denver at 5pm. Fits perfect so did the zerex G05 and distilled water mix 50/50 ran it to normal temp with the cap off adding fluid as it burped, drove to a friends and let it sit till cold, topped it off again. Will keep an eye on it in and top off as needed.

New thermostat is holding right where the old one was so looks like a success.

Old thermostat was working, just replaced as preventative while doing the necessary expansion tank job.
SLEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class