Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Installed door check strap - So easy!

17K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Roscoe_Aus 
#1 ·
Just wanted to say thanks to all previous posters.

I followed the instructions on the door check strap repair

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1274208-door-check-strap-stay.html#post1985957

And it was easy as pie. In and out in 40 minutes including fumbling with my custom speaker installation I had not had to remove yet.

Easy. Getting all my tools and cleaning up took longer than the removal/installation.

No more annoying "ker plunk" sound when I open the door.

#3 ·
All MB doors need to have the Check Strap replaced at some point in time. It scared the heck out of me on my 107 when the strap broke and I couldn't close the door until the strap was replaced. FWIW, the 107 doors are much heavier than the 129.

If you haven't done your 129 Check Straps then put on your list of to do.

#6 ·
I eliminated the door strap noises on my 2001 R129 without replacing the strap. The fix lasted for three years, at which point I did it again - and it was still quiet when I sold the car two years later.

Figuring that a lot of the noise was due to dirt and grit getting onto the bearing races and bearings themselves I flushed the check strap assembly (with it still mounted inside the door) using electronics cleaner - the small plastic straw that usually comes with these spray cans makes it easy to get the cleaner into the assembly. At this point the door will sound *horrible* and you will know that you've flushed out all of the old junk.

I then carefully sprayed into the same area using a dry lube product commonly used on RVs - Protect All. Basically it sprays as a liquid but then sets into a waxy material that doesn't atrract dust. After a few light sprays and exercising the door to be sure that I had coated the entire assembly I sprayed it one more time and let the door set overnight.

Voila - no more noise (and not a lot of $$$).

As always, your mileage may vary - obviously if there's something physically wrong with your check strap then this fix won't work, but if it's just a dirt and lube issue then you might buy some time before having to make a replacement.

Good luck!

#12 ·
.......(snip)
I then carefully sprayed into the same area using a dry lube product commonly used on RVs - Protect All. Basically it sprays as a liquid but then sets into a waxy material that doesn't atrract dust. After a few light sprays and exercising the door to be sure that I had coated the entire assembly I sprayed it one more time and let the door set overnight.

Good luck!
Thanks for the lube tip, but I couldn't get your link to work.
Was that Protect All's "Slide Out"? I found several products on the site and this one seemed to fit your description. Looks like a useful lube to have around!

#9 ·
Thanks. Sure enough, 3 of them broke. Bought them on Ebay, 10 per bag so replaced ALL of them, figured the rest were dried out as well. But had to hot glue the small speaker cover back on because I tried to take if off when I didnt need to. On the 1998 SL500, when replacing the Door check (stop), the whole panel comes off easily but a little trick to putting it back on.

This post has been deleted
#16 ·
No, I think that the design is actually very elegant, especially when compared to Asian cars - everything comes apart easily and the check strap can be accessed easily through the generously sized hole in the door. I have seen a lot worse!

The check strap needs to be secured at the front and the rear, and the rear, of necessity, has to be the length of the strap back from the front of the door which means behind the door panel. Were it not for that the front could have been fitted from the outside which would have made replacing it a total snap!

In my case all that was holding it in place was the rear mount so thank goodness for that design feature! Even then if the strap had of locked up it would have pushed a dent into the door skin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.