BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 1999 SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 102,000 on the odometer. I got the car with 94,000 from Florida. It was not well taken care of, but the price was right.
The M113 E50 was used from 1999 until 2006 in many models. Based on the age and miles of my car, I imagine that the brittle vacuum hose will start happening to others.
A permanent solution other than using duct tape to block the hole requires removal of the manifold (I used foil duct tape to seal the vacuum leak for a few days until the gaskets came in - it worked great!).
A possible way to make the job much easier, is to put a "male to male" tubing connector to "splice" the old rubber connection inside the manifold to a new vacuum hose. I could not do this because I ruined it trying to "dig" it out trying to fix it prior to removing the manifold.
The DIY is as follows:
- 2 Intake Manifold Gaskets
- EGR valve gasket
- Epoxy putty (make sure it is 300 degrees service temp or better)
- RTV silicone gasket maker
- Approximately 12" of vacuum hose (I will check which diameter worked best and repost)
- 30" long x 3/4" x 1" piece of wood
- Spray Carb Cleaner
1. Remove intake manifold (took me 1 hour including wrestling with the EGR setup)
2. Place manifold on a table or bench, bottom side up
3. Using needle nose pliers, a small pick set and a utility knife, remove the remainder of the rubber plug by pulling through the hole and slicing with the knife - I had to get little pieces at a time, cut them and pull it out in chunks
4. If you look into the hole you will see the nipple that the hose attaches to. Around and below the nipple is open to the manifold. This void has to be filled to stop the vacuum from leaking around the new hose.
5. Use the carb cleaner to thoroughly clean all oil and dirt residue from the area inside the manifold.
6. Insert the wooden stick into the throttle body and push it to the end such that it blocks the void from below (this is to stop the epoxy putty from being pushed into the manifold).
7. knead a small amount of putty (a small ball 3/4" in diameter or so), roll it into a "rope" and fee it into the hole.
8. Using various tools (a pencil, screwdriver, nail head...) pack the putty into the voids below and around the nipple. I had to repeat this step several times until the putty was even with the base of the nipple. Gently, but firmly pack the putty in all areas.
9. Remove the wood "putty" support
10. Using the RTV, fill in the area around the nipple, leaving space to fit the vacuum hose onto the nipple. I used a thin flat screwdriver to pack the RTV into the sides of the cavity - It is messy, but I tried to fill the remainder of the cavity to the opening, while still leaving room to push the hose in. This step is necessary because I was unable to completely seal the vacuum with the putty
11. Push the hose onto the nipple.
12. Re-install the manifold
What wasn't in the WIS instructions, was after re-connecting the fuel line, turn the ignition on to activate the fuel pump and press the schrader valve on the passenger front fuel rail to bleed the air from the system. BE CAREFUL as the fuel sprays out pretty violently.
I apologize for no photos, but I did not think this would be a major repair until I got into it!
Last edited by buddha dean; 07-09-2012 at 08:07 PM.