~BANNED~

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1992 500SL, 2009 C300, 1998 Skyline GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...your-r129.html

mongillo was the guys your thinking of i think.. rear mounted turbo. kind of weak i was hoping for better results...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:09 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 98 Brilliant Silver
Chick what was the final performance result of adding these beautiful headers? Did the shop retain drawings or a template so that they can replicate them? You're is the first example of headers for the M119 engine that I have seen.

Elkabe
#13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:24 AM
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
i'd be curious about that too?
#14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 01:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 1991 R129 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lightbulb

Hello Muscle Mercedes,

May I give you food for thought, with regards to gaining hp from the M119:
a. Normally aspirated, you can source a surplus M119 6.0 liter engine from
Japan, with the engine control unit (front cut would be better, from an
R129 or W124 or even the W210 E60) or even German ebay (euro 8000),
+ labor rates in the USA, for installation to your car. This will be good for
about 400hp. Or, you can have it bored and stroked in the USA, and this
will cost you over US$15t, you can have this done by a BW.org member
named "Jono/Jonathan", I'm having a "senior moment" with regards to his
forum name, but he's normally around the W126 forum.

b. Forced Induction Options, there's the Koenig and Albrex surpercharger
kits, or you can source a rear ended R230/W210 with the M113
Kompressor engine, and have it fitted in your R129. It will cost upwards
of US$15t. There are forum members here that even run modified M113
Kompressor engines on their R129 (Alex and Mertd93), generating well
over 400hp.

If cost and time are major considerations, IMHO, the best option would be to go the nitrous oxide route, using the Bergwerks system, which will run you
around US$3t + labor. You can PM gerryvz or gsxr, for more info, but they are normally in the 500espot.com site. Gerry is personally running this kit in his 500E W124.

Sorry for the long reply!
#15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 01:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Mercedes View Post
gorgeous.

yeah increasing pipe diameter currently would be stupid in my opinion performance wise. but i thought of doing it anyways and getting it all ready for the turbos. by maybe just attaching a plate where the turbo will eventually link up. sort of like a cut out exhaust pipe. then i could unbolt it when im ready. maybe i could put the drivers side under the car i hadn't thought of it until you told me. hopefully you follow what im imagining (for preparation)

well i figured the scoop would keep under hood temps lower. and nice cold air. idk i thought of a low profile scoop but then thought it might be more practical to make a tall and wide scoop lets say 3/4 of the hood. it might not look good but i figure it will serve its purpose. ive tried to photoshop it.

the shop im trying to motivate to do the work is called fast eddie's in orange california. his fab man said it would have to be bench built not on the car cause noted clearance issues.

what size turbos do you sugest. i'm thinking of getting cummins turbos. my uncle recommended them.
I would like to caution you on what you're planning...doing the bigger pipes ahead of the "anticipated" turbo charger setup, which might or might not happen, as this will result in hp loss for you in the meantime, while waiting for the turbo set up. If I may suggest, plan the turbo set up first and properly, before throwing in precious $ into a bigger exhaust pipe.

With regards to the fabricated hood scoop, personally, I would not do it, again, IMHO, I'd rather add $ to the total cost of the hood project, for a nitrous kit.

I'm really sorry, but I don't know much about turbo charger systems.
#16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 01:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Mercedes View Post
oh i just noticed... you ran an x pipe? you think that helps? i was thinking 2 separate pipes straight pipes all the way back. depending on noise levels of course. hopefully i can take a photo underneath of what i have now. but its cut after the cats. at take off its loud but cruising it's quite. i think it will be quite enough since cops don't hassle me currently. (i believe as long as im not speeding or reckless they will pick on someone else. its always worked for me.)
Hi again,

Yes, I do have and believe in the x-pipe. May I suggest that you check for clearance problems, if you decide to run the dual pipes all the way to the back, especially around the differential area.

With your present set up, are you not experiencing "droning" while cruising? If yes, you can fit 2 200 cell metal spun catalytic converters on dual pipes (2.25 diameter) and just have a rear muffler. I'm not too sure if it was Renntech or Brabus, that had the resonator delete pipe system.

That ought to quiet things down considerably.
#17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkabe View Post
Chick what was the final performance result of adding these beautiful headers? Did the shop retain drawings or a template so that they can replicate them? You're is the first example of headers for the M119 engine that I have seen.

Elkabe
Hello Elkabe,

My "seat of the pants" rating is that there was "slight" hp gain, as I wasn't able to play accurately with the air/fuel mixture needed for this set up. However, I was able to buy from the USA, just last year (thru the help of mertd93) an Innovate wide band air/fuel gauge, Bosch CIS fuel injection tester and an Actron multi-meter (to check duty cycles). The hp gain that I refer to is noticeable over 3000rpm till redline. But just to be sure, I have an appointment with the dyno tuning company on Thursday, for a base line run, so that I would know were I am at present. before doing any fine tuning with the new test equipment.

To give you a backgrounder, I had the car dyno'ed, right after the exhaust system was completed, and it registered a loss of hp, maybe due to the engine control unit not having adapted yet to the new exhaust. After consulting with a few BW.org members, I was able to adjust the EHA valve minutely, to enrichen my mixture, but there was no proper test equipment at that time, to measure if what I did was right or enough. 3000t kilometers after (and a lot of free time again in between projects), I've decided to work on this issue, this time with the proper test equipment.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that on Thursday, the base line run would register an increase in hp, without fine tuning yet . Worst case scenario, if the 2.5 diameter exhaust system that I have at present, registers a loss in hp, I already have the 2.25 exhaust system components on stand-by (again, thru the kindness of mertd93).
#18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkabe View Post

Elkabe
Hello again Elkabe,

I missed out on your question .

I have the templates/moulds for the headers. There is a guy in the Middle East, running the same headers I have, fitted to his W210 E50.

The first guys to have headers with their M119 engines, were based in Japan , where I got the idea to do mine and that of the Middle East.
#19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:32 PM
BenzWorld Moderator

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post

Or, you can have it bored and stroked in the USA, and this
will cost you over US$15t, you can have this done by a BW.org member
named "Jono/Jonathan", I'm having a "senior moment" with regards to his
forum name, but he's normally around the W126 forum.
Jonathan Hodgman jhodg5ck, owner of Blue Ridge Mercedes-Benz.

A pleasure working together with him on previous projects, highly recommended for his M119 expertise.
#20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:07 PM
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
as far as engine swaps on summit racing i can get a gm engine with 700+. but my thought was mercedes deserves mercedes engine. ive contemplated stroking it. but idk. it's a tough decision in my opinion.

i think i want to stay away from supers. although i saw the koenig.

nitrous is not for me. idk about the claims of cheating but i don't think its worth it. id rather spend on continuous power and making my car look nice cosmetically. i hate car that lacks in the cosmetic area. why make it fast with out making it look good?

im still playing with the hood scoop. but yes it will take away from the original design of the car.

idk about droning i tune the noise out besides at stop lights taking off or getting onto the freeway. i like to roll the accelerator to bask in the noise. it sounds like a cross between a harley and a muscle car. ive gotten complements. but yeah sometimes i get a headache sometimes.

and if i were to do the work locally i saw a pdf on here about the specs for the 6.0 conversion before. at least i think it was the 6.0... anyone have the link to the thread or pdf. im a lot more trusting meeting people face to face not buying over the internet or phone. i'd rather pay more for in person interaction.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class