How do you defeat the brake wear sensor? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
How do you defeat the brake wear sensor?

I changed the pads on all 4 wheels of my 1995 SL500, trying Akembo ceramic pads on the front and Wearever semimetallics on the rear. Unfortunately the Wearevers don't come with a hole for the wear sensor. I cut the wire on the sensor expecting to see 2 wires I could twist together and tape off but all I saw was 1 wire going to the connector. I still have 2 other wear sensors to play with so how can I make it so the idiot light doesn't go off? Hook up a complete sensor and leave it hanging?

I'm not particularly worried about the brake pads wearing out again without my knowledge. The rear pads had plenty left on them after 16 years and 52000 miles and the wear sensors for the front pads are okay. So what's the best way to defeat the rear sensor?
Kpassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 93 500SEL DOA - PARTING OUT, 08 CLK350 Cab -DOA, '05 CLK500 Cab (hers), '10 Razor Elec Scooter (his)
Location: Northern California's Great Central Valley - Meth Capital of USA
Quote:
Hook up a complete sensor and leave it hanging?
That's exactly what I would do. Connect it and zip tie it up out of the way. Perhaps someone else will have a different idea.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
aboynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 91 300SL with Pano Top, 90 560SEL, 04 S500
The brake wear sensor is a single wire. When the pad wears down, it makes contact with the disc completing the circuit. So just do not connect the sensor or even better, drill an appropriate hole in the pad for the sensor.
http://www.benzypalooza.com/
mrelbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
RKH
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SL500 Panoramic Roof
Brake wear sensor normally has 2 wires encapsulated in plastic. When the brake pad wears down, the sensor rubs against the disk and the plastic got worn down. The two exposed wires shorted out themselves against the metal disk to complete the circuit, turning on the warning light. If yours only has 1 wire, may be when it touches the disk, it shorts into ground to complete the circuit.
RKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,John Deere 318
Unhappy

If your going to "RIG" it !!!!! Good Luck!!!!! Why not just buy the CORRECT parts and fix it RITE!!!!!!!!!!! The sensors are all of $5.00 each, And pads WITH a hole for the sensor are no more expensive than the junk you bought which DON'T fit your car anyway!!!!!!!! Just remember, "Its a cheap person, that spends the most money fixing a problem" And PLEASE FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Taping it up out of the way fixed the problem, no more warning light. It turned out that I could have left the rear pads in and they probably would have lasted another 15 years, but since I'd already bought the Wearevers I put them in. The front pads were almost gone, which was what set off the sensor in the first place. Impressive in how much of the work is done by the front brakes. I'm hoping to see a lot less brake dust with these new Akembos.

You would think Akembo and Wearever would know how the MB pads are configured if they make replacements for them but the Wearevers didn't have the hole and the Akembos come with 2 wear sensors when the front brakes take 4. Fortunately I replaced the pads within days of the warning light coming on and didn't drive it until I had time to work on it so I ended up with enough sensors to go around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drags1998
If your going to "RIG" it !!!!! Good Luck!!!!!
The OEM pads weren't even 50% worn on the rear after 16 years. Odds are this RIG won't even be close to breaking in before we pass it on in our wills. I think we'll take our chances.
Kpassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1997 SL320, 2003 S430-4
I too purchased ceramic pads and rotors and was assured that they were the proper one for my 97 SL. I did not notice the lack of the hole until I was well into the project.. so, in a crunch, it appears that it will bypass the light by strapping it up or we can take a chance and drill a hole. Ill pass on the hole. Also u are correct to change the fluid and regrease the bearing at this time. Thank you for your assistance and advice.
poppopscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2000 SL320, 2001 CLK320
Brake sensors

It is not necessary to have brake sensors (single wire type) for those who do their own DIY and are checking the pads on a regular basis

It is for the doffies who just ride their cars until some light comes on and then off to the agent we go and then complain about the super expense to getting it right.

Even so it is more professional IMHO to have the sensors in - shows pride in one's work
rorypff is online now   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class