#1 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:43 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1998 SL500, 1973 Avanti II, 2008 Silverado LTZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Windshield; Rain Sensor problems....

I had my windshield replaced by the shop that the Mercedes dealership recommended. They used a Saint-Gobain Sekurit windshield with the rain sensor. It seems they are the OEM manufacturer for this glass and it looks perfect, but my rain sensor is messed up.
In position 1, it wipes 10 times on startup and then works perfectly. I know it is supposed to only wipe once on startup, so I took it back to the shop and they think there is piece of dust in the sensor. I cannot see it.
Anyway, they want to replace the windshield with a new one.
My question is, has anyone ever heard of this? I've heard of them not working before, but wiping 10 times and then working as designed? When it's done with that cycle, the slightest drip will cause it to wipe once.
I'm just afraid they will replace it and it will do the same thing. They said they have never seen this before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
Lifetime Premium Member
Keep complaining!

If it is an MB recommended glass replacement shop, then just keep hounding and worrying them until they get it working properly.

No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 1998 Pano SL500
Garage
I re-attached my rain sensor lense and it is doing the same thing on start-up .... multiple swipes then perfect ..... if I turn the wipers off after having them engaged in intermittant they work as they are supposed to with one beginning swipe .....

I'd be interested in what you find out .... for fear of cracking my windshield I'm not going to attempt to take the lense off again .....
#4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 04:08 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
It's good to hear someone else has the same problem. Did you have your windshield replaced?
The glass shop is having a hard time finding a replacement for me, but I'm really doubtful it's the windshield sensor.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Garage
I've had the car a little over a year and the intermittant never worked .... The windshield is a Pinkerton replacement and the lense wasn't mounted right and I doubt that the rain sensor worked since it was replaced .... the lense was just sitting in the sensor and the sensor itself was attached to the windshield with double sided tape ....

but its acting exactly like what you described, 10 wipes on start-up and then perfect ..... if the car is running and the wipers are turned off after the 10 swipes, and then on again, its the regular one swipe ....

I'm really curious as to what you find out .... I'm also wondering if maybe it needs to either be recalibrated by some software or even rebooted by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery .... or possibly the rain sensor itself was a bit damaged when the windshield was removed .... mine had a small bit of broken plastic on the housing that I covered with electrical tape ....

Keep me posted and if I find out anything I'll let you know!

Fast960
#6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 05:25 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Garage
note: windshields do not come with rain sensors .... what they come with is the rain sensor lense bonded onto them ..... the rain sensor itself fits over that lense and secures itself to it ....

I believe they had a problem getting my sensor off of the lense when they removed the old windshield .... besides a bit of broken plastic on the housing, the little tabs that pull away from the rain sensor in order to release it from the lense were also missing .....
#7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 06:03 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Well, I found out that disconnecting the battery doesn't work. I figured it was worth a shot, but it acts exactly the same. It actually goes 9 swipes and then back to normal. If the car is left on and the wipers turned off and back on, they only swipe once.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 06:27 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Garage
well, at least we're 1 step closer .... thanks for the report, I was going to do that next ....
#9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 06:45 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
OK, I think we have it fixed.
Took it over to my indy and we ran Star Diagnostics, but no options there for this model.
He pulled the rain sensor though, and noticed the 6 blue "windows" (for lack of a better term) that are attached to the inside of the windshield seemed dirty. He polished them with a microfiber cloth and some window cleaner and we tried it, but it did the same thing.
However, it must have re-initialized itself after that and seems to work fine now!
#10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC View Post
OK, I think we have it fixed.
Took it over to my indy and we ran Star Diagnostics, but no options there for this model.
He pulled the rain sensor though, and noticed the 6 blue "windows" (for lack of a better term) that are attached to the inside of the windshield seemed dirty. He polished them with a microfiber cloth and some window cleaner and we tried it, but it did the same thing.
However, it must have re-initialized itself after that and seems to work fine now!

Well thats good news! I'll give it a go and see if mine will do the same ... Thank-you for the report and I hope it stays fixed !

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class