Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Bosch wiper blade assembly doesn't fit

12K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  Photodude 
#1 ·
Just received the BOSCH wiper blade assembly I ordered from AutohausAZ $26.99.
Didn't work. Snaps into position in a few seconds but the offset is incorrect. The blade end rest on the painted surface of the side pillar. The Bosch packaging states it will fit a SL R129 but it doesn't.

I called Autohaus and they will take it back and pay for return shipping, no problems very easy to work with. I asked about another assembly that may work and they said they don't offer any other wiper blade assemblies that will fit.

I went to a local auto parts store Auto Zone and they said the RainX assembly would fit. They do the installation before you purchase it. The guy removed the old assembly but couldn’t get the RainX to snap in position.

I guess my next step is to give Parts.com a try, just hope it‘s not the same Bosch blade assembly as from Autohaus.

Trying to get a wiper blade assembly without going to the dealer is not so simple.

#2 ·
I have found, lately, many employees at the regular autoparts stores are either untrained, not 'real' car people, or just don't care. (sound familiar?)

I have those new style blades (on my truck) , and the material is plastic, where it used to be metal. So, if the fit is close, they now break, instead of being a bit of a tight "snap fit".
I think the manufacturers try to make the mounts to fit various designs ( a close fit?) ..I had to get 3 different attempts to get a blade to fit my GMC truck, for crying out loud!!

I figure...... Let the parts place install the blades and sit there until they find the correct part.

Some of the new design blades have mount hardware that are larger than the old style and don't clear the space under the hood edge.

#3 · (Edited)
My '98 has a wiper blade of 24" but the mounting point is not at the middle of 12" and 12". It is 11"-13" and the BOSCH you got (as well as most after market ones) is 12"-12". So the 'top' part is 1" too long and hits the A-pillar.
Your choice is : Get a new blade from the Dealer,
or keep your current OEM blade and just replace the 24" rubber insert,
or replace it with a 22" symmetrical blade assembly of 11"-11". The 'top' part would fit our windshield and the bottom part while 2" short doesn't really matter as the non-wipe area is not in your line of sight.

#9 ·
Suggest sticking with the replacement blade option. I had the same problem with my 300E - even tho I purchased the blade straight from the MB dealer. It just doesn't fit right.

jb

#10 ·
Just came back from the local MB dealer and guess what they didn’t have the $10.00 replacement blade.
The good news is they did have the correct size and fit for a complete blade assembly. I installed it there and it snapped into position and fit perfectly.

MB part number - 129-820-03-45 price $37.00

Not the $80.00 list for the Bosch which I thought they would charge.
I guess $37 is still on the high side but it fits, installed easily and works great so I‘m satisfied .

#13 ·
Yes you can buy the $10.00 insert but I've found that replacing the complete assembly causes the new spring loaded assembly to position the blade on the windshield more evenly.

Because I went through this same thing with autohausaz.com I wish they would take note and not continue to send out the wrong assembly.

Please read R129 replacement wiper assembly

#16 ·
Bought the rubber insert replacement, but my OE Mercedes wiper wasn't the one where you could take it out. Then I bought a 24" , but it scrapes. Came to this conclusion:

24" insert of your OE wiper supports the swapping
22" if you use aftermarket wiper

I'm thinking of just getting the OE replacement wiper that can swap the inserts as I still have my brand new Bosch insert.

#27 · (Edited)
Today I though I was sent the incorrect Bosch Wiper Arm until I found this post on benzWorld. Just to refresh about using Bosch wiper blades for the r129 can be confusing as you do have to reverse the wiper clip connectors which comes in 2 parts. This makes the shorter part of the wiper arm points to the A pillar as stated by others in this post. Bosch wiper arm are way less than half price if bought from the dealership.
Water Beach Font Landscape Horizon

#28 ·
Just received the BOSCH wiper blade assembly I ordered from AutohausAZ $26.99.
Didn't work. Snaps into position in a few seconds but the offset is incorrect. The blade end rest on the painted surface of the side pillar. The Bosch packaging states it will fit a SL R129 but it doesn't.

I called Autohaus and they will take it back and pay for return shipping, no problems very easy to work with. I asked about another assembly that may work and they said they don't offer any other wiper blade assemblies that will fit.

I went to a local auto parts store Auto Zone and they said the RainX assembly would fit. They do the installation before you purchase it. The guy removed the old assembly but couldn’t get the RainX to snap in position.

I guess my next step is to give Parts.com a try, just hope it‘s not the same Bosch blade assembly as from Autohaus.

Trying to get a wiper blade assembly without going to the dealer is not so simple.
I've always gone to my dealer and never had a problem. The only thing I don't like they used to sell just the blades and since people either were lazy fitting into the assembly or didn't know how now you have to buy the assembly.

#29 ·
The Bosch blade fits just right if you have been supplied with the correct one, it just comes with the central clip fitted the wrong way around for the R129. Some cryptic notation on the compatability list on the box says as much. Until you turn it around it will have the opposite offset to what's needed.

I just fitted one at the weekend and it is just right.

#31 ·
Probably. As far as I know there is only one correct asymmetric mono wiper part number for all the MBs of the era (W201, W124 etc) so if the mounting is off centre it ought to be correct after you turn the clip around... sometimes they call it Sp24MB. Lots of different packaging over the years though. Mine said “Special fit” in big letters.

#34 ·
I remember that there is a color code that represents if it needs replacement but I'm not sure what color represent replacement, however I think it turns color by age as I remember when I had bought an extra one and did not use it until a year and a half later, it turn color a month after it was finally placed on the car so I think again, it's age sensitive not worn sensitive. Please correct me if I'm not correct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.