Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Question About >> Anti-Theft Alarm control unit N26

9K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  isthenew 
#1 ·
Question About >> Anti-Theft Alarm control unit N26 ?
Does Anyone Know The Part # Of This Unit ?

Are My Lights Suppose To Flash ? When I Unlock Or Lock The Car ?
Is The Horn Suppose To Beep ? If The Answer Is Yes ,, Do You Think The N26 Anti-Theft Alarm control unit Is Bad ?

On My 96 SL 500 My Key Fob Only Has 1 Button On It And Has The Red And Green Lights Under The Rear View Mirror
Thank You For Any Help With This
Harley03joe :Smoker:

#2 · (Edited)
I See There Was 53 Lookers But No One Has The Answer For Me ?
Boy Thats Real Strange.
With All The Members Of BenzWorld.org That Has A 1996 SL 500 :confused:
I Find It Real Stange No One As The Answer I'm Looking For :confused:

Thanks

#3 ·
I do not have the infrared system but do have some experiences with it. I have the radio controlled system myself on my sl.
When unlocking it the signal lights should flash once without sound.
When locking it the signal lights should flash twice also without sound.
But according to the manual you can set it it to your own wish, meaning sound or without.
Try to replace the battery of your remote and synch it first, before you replace a expensive unit. It is explained in the manual how to.
It could be that your remote battery might be low on power.
I have had several cars with infrared remote and when the battery was low on the remote the alarm of the car gave a short sound on the horn.

Hans.

#4 ·
Well Hans66
I Don't Have Lights Flasing Lock Or Unlock, But If I Reach In And Open The Door With The Car Locked It Won't Start, Then When I Use The Button On The Key To Unlock The Car , It Will Start But I Never Hear The Horn.

Also When I Lock The Car I See The Little Red Light Flashing On The Dash.

Thats Why I Was Looking At The N26 Unit As Being Bad, But I Could Be Wrong, Are There Any Fuses In The System.

One More Thing I Only Heard The Alarm Go Off Once Since I Had The Car 3 Mo Now, I Turned It Off With Key In The Door, And I Never Heard It Ever Again

This Car Has No Hood Plunger Or Trunk Plunger Ans One one Plunger In Each Door For The Int Lights.

And My Book Tells Me Nothing About Resetting The Alarm
Thank You
Here Is A Picture

#6 ·
Question About >>

Are My Lights Suppose To Flash ? When I Unlock Or Lock The Car ?
Is The Horn Suppose To Beep ?

Joe, lights wouldn't flash nor horn would beep when you lock/unlock using your infrared key fob. If the alarm is armed, lights will flash and the horn will sound of if the car is opened without using the master key or infrared key fob.

To test: With windows down, lock your car using the master key or the infrared key fob. Reach in through the open window and open the door using the interior door lever. Your lights should flash and your horn should sound off.

What specifically is the problem with your alarm/security system?

#7 ·
edcarls I Tryed Your Way And Nothing Worked Here Is My Problem
My Alarm 1/2 Works On My 96 R129 SL500 ??

This Is My Story
I Got This 96 SL 500 About 2 Years Ago, When O First Got It , I Wanted To Clean It Up Real Good, So I Washed The Eng Compartment Eng And All, Came Out Real Clean.

Then I Put On A New Hood Pad, And That Was It, Every Thing Worked Real Good Alarm And All, Even The Fog Lights Came On When I Got Out Of The Car At Night Like There Made To Do.

Well About 3 Days Later The Alarm Went Off, So I Turned It Off With The Key In The Door, Ever Since Then I Get Noting Out Of The Alarm Any More ,, No Sound Or Fog Lights Or Blinking Front And Rear Lights ,, Nothing The Red Light On The Dash Dot Blink Either Only The One In The Radio The Alarm One Don't Light Up Or Blink.

I Did Try To Open The Drivers Door With The Window Down Reached In Opened The Door NO ALARM SOUND, So At That Point I Tried To Start The Car , It Did to Start, So Then I Used The Key Button To Unlock The Car With The Two Lights Under The Rear View Mirror RED & GREEN Then The Car Started Ok.

I Checked All The Fuses Under The Hood & In The Trunk ALL OK

So I Changed The N 54 Alarm Module In The Trunk , And No Results That Was Any Different, Same Thing.

I Have No Place To Look Except The Relays , My Question Is What Relay Should I Be Looking At, Or What Should I Do To Fix This Problem ?

Thank You All For Reading My Problem, And Thank You For Any Help That I Might Get From You Nice Folks Reading This Please Help Me Out

Thank You
Harley03joe

Plus

night security illumination, Don't Work

Are All The 96 SL500 Head Light Switches The Same Or Do Some Have The night security illumination System In Them ?
I'm Asking Because I Replaced Mine And 1 Year Or So Ago And Just Saw That My night security illumination Don't Work Any More, Or Is There A Relay Someplace ?
Any Help With This
Thank You
Harley03joe

#8 ·
Anti-Theft Alarm System

Well here is my story. The other day I got into my car and I realized that it would not start,nor could I open any compartments. All were locked. Then I realized that I just got inside my car while it was armed with no problem or warning,bells or whistles. I have never tested the system, I assumed it was working like it was suppose to. The dash red light blinks when armed, the red/green key door lights turn red when armed and green when unlocked. So I got out of the car and with the key fob unlocked the car, light turned green. Got in and started the car like I always had, all compartments unlocked etc. Research tells me I should have had bells and whistle sound and a few bars of the Hallelua chorus.
This Thread makes a good read, lets see if anyone can figure out our problem and repair solution.

#10 ·
I have used the key to lock the door. I can lock it with the key but not the FOB. I reached in through the open window and it unlocked. Still no bell or whistles?

Well here is my story. The other day I got into my car and I realized that it would not start,nor could I open any compartments. All were locked. Then I realized that I just got inside my car while it was armed with no problem or warning,bells or whistles. I have never tested the system, I assumed it was working like it was suppose to. The dash red light blinks when armed, the red/green key door lights turn red when armed and green when unlocked. So I got out of the car and with the key fob unlocked the car, light turned green. Got in and started the car like I always had, all compartments unlocked etc. Research tells me I should have had bells and whistle sound and a few bars of the Hallelua chorus.
This Thread makes a good read, lets see if anyone can figure out our problem and repair solution.

#9 ·
alarm system

I have a 1995 sl500 with basically the same problem.
My light on the dash used to flash when the car was locked.
It does not flash any more when locked with the fob nor the key!
My fob only works some of the time in the drivers door.
My indy says he has to get the door working all the time before he can work on the alarm!!!!!
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

#11 ·
Well a couple of years later and I am still playing with the ATA system. I got a code #20 which states LF door actuator. No ground connection.
BTW there is an Control Board that has the alarm (Horn) mounted on it with batteries. It is located on the drivers side engine compartment. Has any one had any experiences with removing this board and trouble shooting it?? Mfg name TEMIC.

#12 ·
Well a couple of years later and I am still playing with the ATA system. I got a code #20 which states LF door actuator. No ground connection.
Both doors and the trunk have an actuator that operates the lock on their latch. The locked/unlocked status of each is signaled to both the ATA module and the pneumatic pump (PSE). Fault code 20 occurs when the vehicle is locked and the ATA does not get confirmation from the left-front door that its actuator has locked.

If you are able to lock the vehicle with the mechanical key at the left-front door the problem may be a wire between the PSE pump and the ATA module; if not, then it may be the lock actuator.

#15 · (Edited)
Advice: Checking a fuse is not enough. Replace it.

When you say FOB key does not work, what do you mean? Does the FOB not work for remote entry? Does the blade key in the FOB not physically lock/unlock the doors? What happens at each door? Does the blade key in the FOB not start the car? If not, what happens when you try to start the car?

The “skeleton” key, which is just a blade key, not FOB…Did you try to use it in the trunk? Did you try to use it in the sunglass case? Did you try the lock/unlock button in the center console? What happened at those places? It may be a vacuum leak issue.

What happens when you try to start the car with the “skeleton” key?

When your door locks activated, did the pneumatic pump continue to run after the locks stopped moving? If so, you have a vacuum leak in the system.

#18 ·
Thank you very much for your responses. I have the FOB with one button - I bought new batteries for it. The infrared light works. It is sending a signal to the vehicle but the vehicle does not recognize it. This doesn't bother me because I have the skeleton/blade and that has been working. I think the FOB doesn't work because there's supposed to be a sensor in the rear view mirror on the 97 SL 500 and the mechanic in Houston mistakenly removed the mirror and everything connected to it including all the sensors around it. If the FOB never works again I'm ok with that.

I think the immobilizer kicked in because last night the vehicle just cranked and cranked - seems like a classic example. I did not know what to do so disconnected the battery as you recommended. I left it overnight for about 10 hours. Came back this morning. Checked voltage at the battery - around 12.5 volts. Tried to start the car and got a different noise - just a click. Made a better connection at the positive terminal to make sure the starter was getting power from the battery. Plugged and unplugged the N26 module in the trunk. The vehicle started - there's a bad connection between the positive battery terminal and the starter but I don't think that triggered the immobilizer. I don't know what triggered the immobilizer but I think it was caused by me unlocking the door to get in and take something out and then locking the vehicle again - the door lock would only go down halfway. I don't think that relates to the battery terminals in the trunk - the vehicle was put off by locking/unlocking the doors. This happened to me in Houston once before - this car has an issue with locking/unlocking the doors. In Houston the car alarm went off and I had to take it to the dealer where they shut it off. The FOB would be useful for that but it's not going to work so I'm stuck with a skeleton key and plan to be very careful locking and unlocking these doors.

I also used your tip about rolling down both windows and holding in place for 10 secs and rolling both up and holding that for 10 secs and repeating 3 times. That resulted in the roll bar light deactivating so thanks for that advice. I also held the roll bar button in 'up' position for 10 secs and that made hydraulic pump in trunk activate - fluid leaked on to my left arm - the roll bar didn't move [yet]. I have ordered some Febi from FCP because the fluid is on the min level in the trunk. I also ordered liquimoly oil and a Mann filter from FCP. Also plan to change transmission fluid and filter. I have 2 mechanics in the area who have helped with another vehicle and I hope they can help with this vehicle. There's some noise when I turn and will have them check out struts, etc. Thanks again. Apologies for the length of this response.

#19 ·
Hydraulic fluid on your arm means you have a leak at the left piston on the top of the windshield. You can repair just that, but the other pistons will go. You’re better off replacing them all at once. And there isn’t much point in adding hydraulic fluid until this repair is done. The fluid will gush every time you use the top. Even if you move it manually. Best to not use the top.

The FOB is very important for resetting the alarm. Though I believe locking and unlocking the doors with the key will also disable it. In the ‘97 model, there are IR sensors in the rear view mirror, both doors, and the trunk.

Me, I never lock my doors on any soft top convertible. I leave the interior of the car empty. If someone wants something, let them have it. It’ll be less expensive to replace that than the soft top (which they could cut open).

With the r129’s, the interior compartments lock from the sunglass case. So I used to lock all the interior compartments. And the trunk can be locked separately. So I used that to safely stow larger items.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.