Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Hydraulic Cylinders..only way to go!

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  chriswufgator 
#1 ·
I may be biased but I highly recommend Dennis Ficken to overhaul your top hydraulic cylinders...Why? He does great work, is highly recommended by members of this Forum, is cost effective and returns cylinders very quickly. So, save bucks and get the job done right! Thanks Dennis

#5 ·
Ralphp,

What in the world motivated you to make this statement? Did someone say something bad about Dennis?

If not, then you seem to be suggesting that rebuilding the cylinders other than by using Dennis is somehow inappropriate, not cost effective, or some other reason. Would you care to expand on your statement to the point where we can understand why you would say such a thing to a group that includes many successful do it yourselfers who enjoy doing what Dennis is doing and perhaps for the same reason.

To say that its the only way is about as subtle as a commercial for mandatory dealer maintenance.

Regards,

George Anderson

#6 ·
Actually George whats YOUR motivation? :1poke:
Whats wrong with members giving props to someone for an excellent service they've provided?
Maybe you aught to watch your caffeine intake before posting.

@ Ralph:
Thanks for sharing your experience and feedback with us.
I haven't had this problem (yet), but it sure is good to know that we have someone affordable and trustworthy for this type of service. :thumbsup:

#7 · (Edited)
George sells seals for DIY, so his motivation is BUSINE$$ (but his seals are NOT CHEAP. I'm sure he says it is worth it as he had spend some time on it and he is entitled to make a profit).
Dennis offers cylinder rebuilding at VERY reasonable cost (but I don't think he is buying seals from George).

There were nothing but praise for Dennis' work but I have not seen any feedback posted (good or bad) about George's seals.

I personally have no dealing with either, but if my seals ever go, I'll send them to Dennis for sure (as I can't stand George's know-it-all attitude based on what I read in this Forum. He likes to talk down to others.)

Besides, aam (Albert Aristotle Macguyver ?) had successfully replaced his seals with one from a bicycle pump years ago and he has not reported any leak yet.

#12 ·
RKH,

I hope you don't mind if I take a moment to talk down to you by pointing out that everything you have alleged about my motivations are false. I do not and have not sold seals and do no want be bothered with it. I said as much over a year ago.

As for your unsolicited endorsements of Denis, they have not been supported by the original poster so my point is made that you are collectively just spouting hot air.

As for your ad hominum attack, just suck it up. Otherwise you life will be so miserable knowing that there are a lot of us know it alls out there and we collectively know something that you apparently have not yet learned: You have no rights that protect you from being offended by another poster who displeases you or disagrees with you.

At the same time, your post is excellent feedback for me because I learn that you have taken the time to read at least some of my earlier lengthy technical contributions.

I am glad that you are able to benefit from my contributions and I bet others have too. Man, how does that make you feel? Others benefitting from knowledge? And on this forum! Shocking.

Regards,

George

#13 ·
Before this debate develops any further, let's just clear up a few points.

There are various means to rectify leaking cylinders

1. Drive your car to the MB dealer and have them replace the faulty cylinders.
2. Buy new cylinders from MB and fit them yourself.
3. Send the cylinders to an independent engineer and have the cylinders rebuilt.
4. Buy the seals and rebuild the cylinders yourself.

This subject has been widely discussed over the years and a lot of very useful information has been collected and archived.

Just for the record, I think it is Konstantin Belov who offers seal kits for sale and not George Anderson. George if I remember made some very detailed posts of the disassembly of the cylinders and seal dimensions, and various seal materials, as a believe did GUSMB.

It's very nice to see a topic such as RST cylinders provoke some interesting opinions. If it is going to continue, let's discuss the topic and not malign any of the individuals participating.

#19 ·
I had the same exact problem with my hydraulic cylinders. After doing research on the forum along with other resources, I chose Dennis Ficken. Once again, the work was well done, he was very quick returning the cylinders and it was cost effective. Sure, I could have done it myself but I asked myself for the fair price charged by Dennis, why not have it completed by someone who has the expertise. I am sorry for the series of negative posts coming out of my original post...My intent was solely to endorse Dennis' work and offer that as a very viable alternative to members..Thanks

#20 · (Edited)
Well Chris, now that you bring this thread up again : FWIW, if you've read the whole thread and the 'tone' of his post #5, George was the one who bashed ralphp's motivation in the first place. Tech-Tune and I just turned the table around and asked about his.
And Redliner already correct my assumption, that George does not sell seals, so his motivation was not $$.
Then what was it ? Tech-Tune and the rest of us were interested to know that's all. This was not bashing

For those who endorsed Dennis he just dismissed them as "collectively just spouting hot air". Now that includes you too Chris:D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.