Cleaning Throttle Body - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member
 
phendriks's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 1991 300sl, 1993 928 GTS, 1996 SL500
Location: dorchester, ontario
Posts: 83
Cleaning Throttle Body

Hello all. Our 300sl was bogging on acceleration (especially off idle) much of last summer, and it didn't change during the winter storage (surprise). Checked the vacuum lines which seem fine, cleaned the idle air solenoid which didn't change anything. Finally sprayed some throttle body cleaner (O2 sensor friendly) down the throat which seemed to really improve things. So the question is - is it worth going through the procedure to take the throttle body off and clean it properly, or would a few applications of cleaner suffice? I don't know if there are any air bleeds or small apertures down there or under the butterfly that need a proper cleaning. The tear down looks rather involved according to the DVD - don't really want to do it just for fun. Thanks.
phendriks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Moderator
 
NEOKEN's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 10,312
Lifetime Premium Member
Regardless if porting work is involved or not, to thoroughly clean a TB on higher mileage motors with significant carbon buildup, its best to first remove the unit plus also remove the throttle plate.

Personally, I prefer polishing the pieces carefully using Standard Abrasives' high speed cross-buffs either with a pneumatic or variable speed electric 1/4 inch Collet die grinder.

Standard Abrasives 260013 - Standard Abrasives Cross Buff Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com








Last edited by NEOKEN; 03-13-2014 at 08:05 AM.
NEOKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran
 
GUSMB's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: MB SL600 -94, MB 560SL
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 679
Nice polishing there...

I always just use some kind of alcohol or light solvent I have lying around, BUT mine has never looked as bad as that black one. I have just wiped them off and they are as good as new.

If removed, check wiring!
__________________
Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one...

SL600 -94
560SL -86
SL600 7.2 Všth
GUSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite
 
lnguyenh's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: SL500, CL55, LS430, CAMRY
Location: Northern VA, USA
Posts: 3,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOKEN View Post
Regardless if porting work is involved or not, to thoroughly clean a TB on higher mileage motors with significant carbon buildup, its best to first remove the unit plus also remove the throttle plate.

Personally, I prefer polishing the pieces carefully using Standard Abrasives' high speed cross-buffs either with a pneumatic or variable speed electric 1/4 inch Collet die grinder.

Standard Abrasives 260013 - Standard Abrasives Cross Buff Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com








Damn Ken ... nice job. Can you do mine too? lol

Last edited by NEOKEN; 03-13-2014 at 08:05 AM. Reason: correction
lnguyenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member
 
jsap's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: R129
Location: NorCal
Posts: 343
Mine wasn't so dirty. I took the body out and sprayed the sooty parts with a carb cleaner, and wiped with paper towel. A few minutes is all it took.

A side warning: when removing the body, there's a thin gasket. Mine broke into 5 pieces. If yours does the same thing, remember to FIND all pieces, or you'll end up with some in your intake manifold, and they might get sucked up into the engine.

Another thing: Get the real gasket, and don't use silicone or cork. There is negative pressure inside, so if you use silicone, it could deteriorate and get sucked in.

Oh, and one more thing. When I did this, the rubber connector was hard and shrunken. It didn't have a nice seal against the MAF sensor. So replace the connector to the MAF sensor if yours is hard.

John
jsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran
 
GUSMB's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: MB SL600 -94, MB 560SL
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsap View Post
Mine wasn't so dirty. I took the body out and sprayed the sooty parts with a carb cleaner, and wiped with paper towel. A few minutes is all it took.

A side warning: when removing the body, there's a thin gasket. Mine broke into 5 pieces. If yours does the same thing, remember to FIND all pieces, or you'll end up with some in your intake manifold, and they might get sucked up into the engine.

Another thing: Get the real gasket, and don't use silicone or cork. There is negative pressure inside, so if you use silicone, it could deteriorate and get sucked in.

Oh, and one more thing. When I did this, the rubber connector was hard and shrunken. It didn't have a nice seal against the MAF sensor. So replace the connector to the MAF sensor if yours is hard.

John
I broke one of my gaskets, a new is about $2 at MB.
GUSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Moving on
 
lynns's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Y2K SL500 Silver
Location: So. California
Posts: 8,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUSMB View Post
I broke one of my gaskets, a new is about $2 at MB.
What is the MB p/n for the gasket?
lynns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member
 
jsap's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: R129
Location: NorCal
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns View Post
What is the MB p/n for the gasket?
I don't know about your car; maybe someone does. But, you could go here:

epc.startekinfo.com

It's a mercedes site, and signup is free for private users. There, you'll get all the same parts info that the dealer has at the parts counter. Pictures and part numbers galore. The car with all its specific engine variants might make your part number different, so you'll have to put in the correct car. You could also type in your VIN number.

John
jsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran
 
GUSMB's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: MB SL600 -94, MB 560SL
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns View Post
What is the MB p/n for the gasket?
Sorry, can't remember, but they found it in 1 min, so it cannot be a "strange" article...
GUSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member
 
jsap's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: R129
Location: NorCal
Posts: 343
Btw, be careful when you insert the MAF onto the Actuator. On my car, if I follow the notches on the actuator, the rubber gasket/hose/clamps, and the MAF, the end result is interference between the lower clamp and the travel of the actuator spring cap on the exterior.

Just make sure that when you put every thing together, move the actuator through its entire range and verify that nothing is interfering.

John
jsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class

Bookmarks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
Throttle Body / EGR Cleaning calebfrida W210 E-Class 1 10-27-2009 02:45 PM
Throttle body cleaning question... Doni W202 C-Class 6 03-21-2009 05:55 PM
throttle body cleaning... Subby_ R170 SLK Class 2 02-09-2008 02:52 AM
Cleaning Throttle Body DAVE300SE W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class 7 02-23-2007 08:13 PM
Throttle Body/idle motor Cleaning? DGmnMB W124 E,CE,D,TD Class 8 07-21-2005 07:24 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:40 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.