Vehicle: 99' Mercedes SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to yeahmeknows
(Thread Starter)
Soft Top Stuck on 1999 SL500

Hi,

I purchased a 1999 Mercedes SL500 and it's beautiful, it's only fault is that the soft top is not coming up.

I have managed to remove the hardtop manually with the Top-Toolkit and put it in my garage (it couldn't pop out also) but when I press on the red button (up or down) to open the Soft Top, I hear the system's noise trying to work but nothing happens and from the front windshield I have oil leaking out where the sun visors are.
Same thing for the roll bar, I hear the system trying to work but nothing else happens.

What seems to be the problem? can I raise the soft top manually? I can't seem to even open the lid for it, it's too strong.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by yeahmeknows; 03-22-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 2000 SL500 SL2 Triple Black
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
leaks in the front cylinders for sure, maybe in others also, so you're low on fluid.

this is one of the reasons to get a ppi/pre-purchase inspection before buying the car.

there's a good write-up about the rst system for the soft top in the stickies.

2000 SL500 SL2

"Common sense isn't as common as it once was!"

"Good judgment comes from experience which comes from bad judgment."
#3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to msbarsi
yeahmeknows hi and welcome in our big and international friendly family. Please update your profile with your car, year and location to help us help you in the best and quickest possible way.

Please get familiar with the 3rd blue sticky thread as there are all the info you need to know for your problem regarding the soft top.

Cheers.

I drive like I stole . . . YOURS
#4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 08:40 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
(Thread Starter)
99' SL500 Top & Windows Controllers not functioning

Hello!

I have a very strange problem in my 1999 SL500 I've been struggling for weeks now.

For some reason, the top controller + windows controllers do not functioning AT ALL.
The LED lights inside the top and roll bar control buttons is constantly ON and solid red.

The biggest problem is I cannot close any of the doors because the windows are not functioning at all, meaning they won't lower down automatically to allow the door to open and close properly.

When I disconnect the battery and reconnect it after 5 minutes the issue is fixed and gone but keeps coming back after turning off the car.
Also I checked all the fuses in the car and they are all working perfectly.
I also attached the Hard Top back in hope the system will reset itself, the car sucked the hard-top in but it did not solve anything and now it's stuck in it's place lol (which is not a big deal I just want to solve the problem).

I'm attaching pictures of the problem and it also shows how the window did not lower down when I want to close the door (not to mention it does not work at all no matter what).

Please help! I really appreciate it!
Thank you in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S7302753.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	313492   Click image for larger version

Name:	S7302754.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	313493   Click image for larger version

Name:	S7302755.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	313494   Click image for larger version

Name:	S7302756.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	313495   Click image for larger version

Name:	S7302757.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	313496  

#5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 10:18 PM
RKH
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1998 SL500 Panoramic Roof
Scan for codes. You need the widows and rollbar working before the top operation can function. If you have already ruled out the fuses, and it is unlikely both window motors are bad at the same time, then the controller is next. Try disconnecting the battery overnight to see if it clears the codes.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 11:16 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKH View Post
Scan for codes. You need the widows and rollbar working before the top operation can function. If you have already ruled out the fuses, and it is unlikely both window motors are bad at the same time, then the controller is next. Try disconnecting the battery overnight to see if it clears the codes.
Hi!
I appreciate your comment.

I'm not feeling very comfortable disconnecting the battery overnight, it seems too sensitive and I'm afraid it will ruin the computer.

Is there any other way to reset the codes completely other than taking it to a mechanic?

Thanks again!
#7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 12:13 AM
RKH
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1998 SL500 Panoramic Roof
You can buy some tools to do the scan and reset most codes yourself, but they don't work on the RST controller. The only one that works with the RST controller is from MB and $$$. (Not many Shop have that either as it is expensive).
#8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 02:43 AM
Moving on

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Y2K SL500 Silver
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How old is your car battery and do you feel good that it is putting out 13.7 Volts with the engine running? I always raise and lower my RST with the engine running and the battery charging.

If you have NOT done the following steps please do the following.

1) With the car out of the garage and the engine running lower both of the side windows with the console switches.
2) With the hard top ON and both doors shut raise each window and hold the window button in the up position for 10 seconds. Then lower both windows. This synchronization is VERY important and can be found in your Owners Manual.
3) Hold the roll-over bar switch in the up position for approx. 10 seconds or until you hear a slight click sound that should reset the roll bar. Now lower the roll bar. This is NOT in your Owners Manual.
4) Now pull the red hard top button to the back position until the hard top releases. Remove the hard top.
5) With the engine running push the red soft top button forward and hold it until the soft top comes out of the compartment and completes it's cycle.

6) If the above doesn't work please check the soft top hydraulic fluid pump reservoir level. Located under the spare tire in the trunk. If the fluid is down you may have a leak in the CLOSED system that needs repair and/or hydraulic fluid added until you can find the leak.

7) If none of this works I would suggest that you make a couple of phone calls to your local MB Independent repair shops and ask them if they have a MB STAR Diagnostic System (SDS) and what they would charge you to read and erase your Roadster Soft Top (RST) Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)'s. After they erase the codes and the top is functioning drive the car around the block and back to the Indy shop and cycle your soft top 1-3 times to make sure that the codes have ALL been completely erased.

This should cost you no more than $50-$85.00.

Last edited by lynns; 06-18-2010 at 01:54 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 04:40 AM
BenzWorld Moderator

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahmeknows View Post

What seems to be the problem? can I raise the soft top manually? I can't seem to even open the lid for it, it's too strong.
To manually open the RST storage compartment lid with ease, simply unlock both sides with the MB soft top wrench.

Please read useful Archived Topics before posting a new thread.
#10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 11:45 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hey thank you guys for the replies and comments I really appreciate it!
Lynns, I will try the steps you have guided me through and will report back to see what's going on, I really hope it will work, because I have only 1 MB repair shop in my area and they are a bunch of idiots, last time they gave me back my car after maintenance without the tools bag, no spare tire and the dashboard was noisy so I try to avoid them as much as possible.

Thanks again! I will report back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.