aftermarket stereo with bluetooth - use factory mic? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 2001 SL500
aftermarket stereo with bluetooth - use factory mic?

I'm looking at aftermarket stereo head units that have rear USB/iPod so that I can run the iPod up to the locked sunglass holder, and bluetooth for handsfree phone calls.

It would be ideal if the existing, unused, factory Tele-Aid microphone could be re-deployed for the bluetooth setup, instead of wiring and mounting the mic that comes with the new stereo unit.

Has anyone done this? If so, where can I splice into the wires to the factory mic? And, how well does it work compared to the little mic that came with your deck?

2001 SL500 Triple Black
2009 Cadillac CTS AWD
2001 Modified F150 Flareside Sport
dbischoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2010, 06:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

I was thinking more about this.

If the factory mic wires don't come down to the center console or are otherwise hard to locate, it might be easier to take off the visor trim and the interior A-pillar trim and run a new wire all the way from the mic to the center console. Assuming I can get a wire from the A-pillar to under the dash without too much problem.

I want to re-glue some peeling leather on the inside corners of the A-pillars anyway.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
Send a message via Skype™ to msbarsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbischoff View Post
I was thinking more about this.

If the factory mic wires don't come down to the center console or are otherwise hard to locate, it might be easier to take off the visor trim and the interior A-pillar trim and run a new wire all the way from the mic to the center console. Assuming I can get a wire from the A-pillar to under the dash without too much problem.

I want to re-glue some peeling leather on the inside corners of the A-pillars anyway.
Hi dbischoff since yours is a 2001 you should have the Bose sound system in your car (please confirm). actually the market is full of stereos that might suit your needs and Ebay is a very good starting point to see what's in the markjet and what you might need. Also some of them have an integrated mic in the radio itself so you don't even need to fiddle with wires and so on. More, those things usually come with a mic so you only need to find a good place to install it. More, if I'm not mistaken, but I could be wrong, the Teleaid uses a separated speaker for the phone system when a bluetooth capable radio uses the speakers so thet sound quality in a phone call is far better.
When I installed my system in my R129 I routed the mic wide thru the vents near the driver ankle folliwing the opening beside the console and placed the mic itself near the ignition keyhole.
If you really have the Bose (likely) you M I G H T need an adapter as mentioned in another thread.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
aftermarket stereo with bluetooth - use factory mic?-dscn0667-2-.jpg   aftermarket stereo with bluetooth - use factory mic?-dscn0670-2-.jpg  
Old 02-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Yes, it is the Bose system with the Alpine CM1910 head unit and the fiber optic connected CD changer. I won't use the CD changer because the iPod made it obsolete, so it can be scrapped or sold.

I keep getting conflicting advice about replacing the head unit. Reputable members on this forum have told me that I can just go ahead and install a new head unit, because the downstream Bose amps take care of matching the 2ohm speaker impedance.

Today I spoke to the installer at a local stereo shop and he claimed he would have to "re-wire everything", at about $400 bucks extra cost, but I suspect he may be basing that on experience with models that are older than my '01.

I have heard that the bluetooth in Apline brand stereos works very well because they use Parrot's techology.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2007 911 GT3 RS, 1990 420SEL, 2007 S550, 1994 SL500 6.0, 2011 Aston Martin DBS
JVC KD-AVX77...Probably the only headunit that looks at home in an SL

1994 SL500 6.0 AMG - too many modifications to list
rriggi129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggi129 View Post
JVC KD-AVX77...Probably the only headunit that looks at home in an SL
I looked at that one, but it's more than I want to spend and I'm not sure I would like the touch screen. Most of the time I just want to have my iPod on shuffle and be able to easily skip ahead or back. I can't imagine ever wanting to watch video in the front seat of a car that can go 250kph

I agree with you on the aesthetics. I want something that reasonably looks like it belongs there. Thus, my wish to repurpose the existing factory mic if I can. I don't want to see wires or any bits of stick-on hardware.

Having bluetooth integral to my stereo really appeals to me. I often have my music cranked, so I can't hear or feel the Blackberry on my hip when it rings. The bluetooth will interrupt the music so I won't miss my calls. However, it will be a lesson in frustration if it doesn't work well. for example, if it is too noisy for a handsfree conversation.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1989 Mercedes 560SL, 1989 Euro Mercedes 300SL, Volvo C70, 2004 Discovery, 1997 Mercedes SL500
HI All
I just installed a JVC -ADX44 in my 97 SL500.

Although i did not have the Bose setup, i still had to have new wiring to the speakers (also replaced) in the doors because the original setup was 2 ohm and was routing through the small amp under the rear seat. As an extra, i also had a slimline amp put in in the passenger footwell.
The black head unti looks fantastic and the sound setup is awesome. The bluetooth pairing and sound is also crystal clear with the inbuilt mic.
I'll post some pics tomorrow
Fiorano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
Send a message via Skype™ to msbarsi
Quote:
Yes, it is the Bose system with the Alpine CM1910 head unit and the fiber optic connected CD changer. I won't use the CD changer because the iPod made it obsolete, so it can be scrapped or sold.

I keep getting conflicting advice about replacing the head unit. Reputable members on this forum have told me that I can just go ahead and install a new head unit, because the downstream Bose amps take care of matching the 2ohm speaker impedance.

Today I spoke to the installer at a local stereo shop and he claimed he would have to "re-wire everything", at about $400 bucks extra cost, but I suspect he may be basing that on experience with models that are older than my '01.

I have heard that the bluetooth in Apline brand stereos works very well because they use Parrot's technology.
Well dbischoff my bluetooth set up was a no name bought on Ebay for 100€ and it still worked wonderfully at 140 KPH topless with side windows up and windstop up too and the person I was talking to told me he could hear me clearly so ...

Lynns just swapped his unit in his 2000 so he can give you more details. Re-wiring is not necessary.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.
msbarsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2007 911 GT3 RS, 1990 420SEL, 2007 S550, 1994 SL500 6.0, 2011 Aston Martin DBS
Quote:
I looked at that one, but it's more than I want to spend and I'm not sure I would like the touch screen. Most of the time I just want to have my iPod on shuffle and be able to easily skip ahead or back. I can't imagine ever wanting to watch video in the front seat of a car that can go 250kph

I agree with you on the aesthetics. I want something that reasonably looks like it belongs there. Thus, my wish to repurpose the existing factory mic if I can. I don't want to see wires or any bits of stick-on hardware.

Having bluetooth integral to my stereo really appeals to me. I often have my music cranked, so I can't hear or feel the Blackberry on my hip when it rings. The bluetooth will interrupt the music so I won't miss my calls. However, it will be a lesson in frustration if it doesn't work well. for example, if it is too noisy for a hands free conversation.
This unit has a very nice iPod feature which allows you to actually go through your iPod menu without touching the iPod itself, you can set it to shuffle, and even skip around on the iPod if you dont like the song thats playing at the moment. The unit comes with a rather sensitive mic which I plugged in and ran right where that smallish hole is behind the center console near the pedals. Its not possible to see it or any wires, the USB cable is on the other side of the center console also from that smallish hole which allows me to put a small external hard drive or iPod in!

The video feature is really something useless, you can ground the parking line and get video on the move but aside from showing off its really pointless and rather dangerous. I tried it once, and it was strange because of the rather strange viewing aspect it shows stuff at, Music videos and having the top off are a nice show off to people around you, but that's really it for its DVD ability.

The Bluetooth is superior! The caller ID is displayed on the unit along and you can initiate calls through the head unit even.

If you like I can show a video of it in operation ?
rriggi129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

I have helped us drift off the the original topic that I started, which is to ask: Does the wire from the factory microphone go down to the center console area where I could splice into it?

I haven't found an answer to that yet, but if it does, it would save the work of routing the mic that comes with the new stereo. But then it begs another question: Would the factory mic be an OK match for the aftermarket head unit?

I installed a bluetooth unit one of my other cars yesterday, so that I could see how it works before tackling the Benz.

My wife's Shitsubishi has a stock CD/radio, and the FM iPod transmitter I got her sucks, so I decided to pull the Sony with iPod control out of my Ford truck to use in her car, which gave me the excuse to upgrade the truck stereo again. Funny how that works out ;-)

I put a JVC KD-R800 in the truck. Its simpler and way lower on the price scale than their KD-AVX77, but it has bluetooth and USB out the back with iPod control.

The KD-R800 has all the controls to make/receive phone calls and control the iPod. It is easy to use, but it is limited by the 3 of 4 lines of text that it can display on its small mono screen, unlike the KD-AVX77 with its big screen and touch controls. Its is a little strange in that it requires a little USB-bluetooth dongle (included) that now occupies the front USB port.

Anyway, it is in now and there are no visible wires anywhere. The tiny mic runs from the overhead console with wire hidden under the headliner/a-pillar trim/dash, and the iPod is in the glovebox where it stays most of the time. I don't touch it directly unless its going into the house to change tunes or plug into the home stereo.

I haven't tried the phone enough yet to know how well it works.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class