Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Interesting Finds on Craigslist (No personal adverts please)

263K views 2K replies 176 participants last post by  Benica 
#1 · (Edited)
Found these on Craigslist for $1000. The owner states they came off a 2006 SL 500. Will they fit on mine without spacers?

Attachments

See less See more
#1,634 ·
indeed, the most likely transmission failure is a bad reverse, and many folks fix that by just replacing the one clutch+spring thing, rather than actually do a full rebuild. Anyways, a Sun Valley or Peter Schmid rebuild of the 4-speed is about $1700 plus core, and another $1000 or so for the R&I if you have a shop do it.

#1,636 ·
I don't think these are real BBS 2pcs wheels

#1,650 ·
Hey, John:

Before I'd make a low cash offer, I'd want to make sure there are no liens on the car, and proper owner registration.

For $500 - $700 range, it would be a good parts car, for sure.

What's the odds of something like this being in your own neighborhood?

Good Luck, and May God Bless, Arctic

#1,661 · (Edited by Moderator)
Did a drive by, its literally 1/4 mile from home,how do theses things find me???LOL left message,no one home, try later I guess,car has been moved,so it rolls, paint is bad , body straight, roll bar up, tires still have tread, front air dam is cracked, drive by pic's. anyone know how to run license number?

Ran plate in the BAR system.
STAR Certification Required Program Area
YES Enhanced

Number of Tests Found = 7
Test Records Make Model Year Date / Time Pass / Fail Certificate
MERCE SL500 1998 09/03/2013 08:44 a.m. F
MERCE SL500 1998 07/19/2011 01:41 p.m. P WX036348C
MERCE SL500 1998 01/16/2009 10:20 a.m. P VV771516C
MERCE SL500 1998 02/14/2007 09:59 a.m. P VD830410C
MERCE SL500 1998 07/31/2006 11:37 a.m. F
MERCE SL500 1998 07/31/2006 11:33 a.m. A
MERCE SL500 1998 08/12/2004 01:25 p.m. P FN761317C

Pass/Fail Code Definitions: P=Pass, F=Fail, A=Aborted, R=Not Ready,
T=Failed test with Emission Device found to be Tampered.
*A "Blank" column can also indicate an aborted test.

talked to DMV and fee's are just to high,would cost me $716 to make it legal paper wise.

Or just found out I can part it out, sell for scrape as long as motor and trans,doors still in car for $325, just need PO title signed off to me. will offer $400.

Attachments

#1,662 ·
I don't understand how someone can say these wheels are the worst ever made without offering some explanation. If you just don't like the looks of the wheel then that is just your opinion, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If there is some design flaw or structural weakness then say so. If the problem is only people not knowing how to drive and smashing their wheels into the curb then that is certainly not the wheels fault. To some of us these are among the most beautiful wheels ever mounted on an automobile.

#1,663 ·
I never say I don't like the look of the wheels.... If you reread my posts 1660.......

ok let me rephrase with some explanation...:wink..

Those are the WORST BBS rims in history because of the structural weakness of the chrome ring lips & bad designs of the chrome ring lips.....

I guarantee 99.9% people those who used the Silver Arrow rims on regular basis with care & non abuse will have problem with the chrome ring lips.....

Unless the car is siting as a garage queen & only driven twice a year on a good day then the rims is in top condition with no problem..:smile..

#1,664 ·
This may not get a second look on eBay. The car looks completely trashed. Parting out is all fine and dandy but unless you have somewhere to put the car, not many neighbors will be fond of a parts car sitting in your driveway in their neighborhood, it's a great way to make enemies with your neighbors if that is your plan. BTW I saw an SL go for less than $1600 not long ago and cosmetically it looked a million times better than the one you are looking at.

#1,666 ·
It does look bad, I do have room for 3 more cars on driveway and this would be up front right next to my tool box, as far as neighbors go they have had junkers parked also,HOA will require car to be covered, no biggie, ran it by the wife and she say's OK with it and I do enjoy working on cars being retired now, there is a small goldmine of parts on it I'm sure, waiting on seller now to call back so I can at least inspect it. for sure its a turd!LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.