Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What did you do to your Roadster today?

1M views 8K replies 565 participants last post by  DrVanNostrand 
#1 · (Edited)
Renewing the hydraulic system fluid every 2-3 years or 25K miles should extend the life of many of the hydraulic system components. This is not a part of Mercedes prescribed maintenance, so most cars are still running around with the original fluid (plus years of accumulated contaminants).

I did a flush/renew of my RST system fluid on 7-13-07. My car was seven years old with 30K miles. If you look at the attached pictures you will notice a color difference. The old MB fluid (left vial) looks like a beer color while the new Febi-Bilstein 02615 fluid (right vial) is clear. I also attached a picture of my hydraulic reservoir containing the old MB fluid.

Attachments

See less See more
#18 · (Edited)
What did you do to your Roadster today?:p
Just like Monday thru Thursday..

Backed out of the garage.
Commuted to the office (7 minutes).
Put the top up.
(workworkworkwork)
Put the top down.
Commuted home.
Drove it into the garage.

Beautiful days to have a roadster in Oregon.. sunny days, not too hot, so tomorrow will find me motoring around the countryside in search of the perfect tomato stand.. Might take miles and miles and miles... :D

Reactions: Mikery1985
#3 ·
Cleaned it!!!! Its been sitting for 2 weeks,( I just got a new truck, and cant leave it alone) Will go for a ride tomorrow to shake out the cobwebs!!!!! LOL!!!! Fall's here in My area, time to put the hard-top back on. Go for a few more rides,and, put it away for the Winter!!!!

#5 ·
My daily chore is diagnosing my high idle problem....
Along with that, I wiped off the sprinkler water spots.:crybaby2:

Fiddled with my sliding arm rest that is stuck forward. ( The darn button is missing!)
Doing some fun TLC in the interior.... previous owner wasn't as detailed as me.

Just bought it 2 weeks ago!

#1,036 ·
You still driving that old SL? I have my eye on a SL65.
-Jim

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.com App

#36 ·
Was this from a faulty ground? What fixed it, not having the problem just curious.

Your color combo rocks! Do you have a pic of the interior like with door open to see it better?

I have to sign on each day just to check out your avatar :bowdown:

Sorry for hijacking the thread...
so I will add to it ...
-removed seat bottom to find rattle (metal pen stuck in seat pan),
-removed faceplate from OE Alpine radio for loose radio buttons - waiting for new faceplate in mail.
-vacuumed under seats - found enough for lunch off the dollar menu.

#9 ·
Well, not actually 'today' but;

Mine is in the shop getting a new conv. top, not just canvas but the whole deal.
Replace Top Control Unit
Replacing interior lighting with LED's
Replace rubber piece on top of windshield (rain is getting in)
Replace hood pad
Replace headlights and corners with Bosch Frosted
Removing headlight wipers and replacing valances with ones without holes
Replace 18" staggered MAE Crown Jewels with 18" staggered AMG 22-spoke wheels
Ordered a set of Mich. PS A/S Plus tires
Replacing or dyeing some interior pieces
Having burl wood refinished
Replaced sound system a month ago. Now better than the Bose in my Escalade!

All should be completed within 1-2 weeks.

#13 ·
Tomorrow the one I'm working on will get:

New power brake booster
New antenna mast
New spark plugs & wires
Driver door disassembled to find the source of a rattle.
Trim pieces sanded/repainted around the soft top boot lid.

I suspect the door rattle is coming from a similar cause as my 107 had - broken/missing guides to keep the window steady in the track. Fortunately I still have some teflon material that I used to fabricate new guides for my car, so if that's it I'll be ready and able to fix this car.

After that, I'm pretty much done with it. Then it'll go to my neighbor's detail shop, he'll make it all clean and nice, and the owners will be out in a couple of weeks to drive it back home.

#14 ·
Well, mine's a 107 but you said roadster...:D
Replaced the drivers door seal yesterday, going to replace the pass. side today along with both door jamb seals and pillar seals. Also replacing the conv. boot seal. Clean, inspect and install both taillight assemblies, headlight assemblies and headlight covers (I painted them the same as the car). Install turn signals and foglights in air dam and rig up a mesh screen for the air intake. Then mount front bumper/air dam.
That ought to hold me over for a little while...:thumbsup:

#23 ·
Just watching it sit in the garage while I wash my truck. Instrument cluster is out of it right now being repaired and am waiting for its return next week. Haven't driven it much in the last two weeks because of the lack of being able to know what is going on in the engine without the cluster...besides trying to guess how fast I am going without the speedometer. Wife did hook-up our GPS a few days ago to it and pointed out I only going 95 down the freeway....man, I thought I was only going 55mph. I think something is wrong with the GPS!!!

Stan 94 SL500

#30 ·
In the last week we had some 25 inches of rain in Atlanta with 100 year flood levels. Not a good environment for a roadster.

Then, on Sunday, we had the prettiest day one can imagine. I went out for a nice 25 mile drive through the hills of north Georgia around Lake Lanier where I live. Shear heaven.

Also took out the 61 Chrysler to spin the tires a bit with nearly 500 lbft of good old fashioned V8 torque.

#33 ·
I did lot of work in my 600SL
1- i changed all the fuses.
2- i cleaned the air mass flow
3- i changed the ENG oil + filter
4- i changed the Transmission oil +filter
5- i changed the suspension with all the joint in the front & the arm supports ( remove
the hyd suspension & install W124 E500 suspension)
6- i changed the spark plug ( pouch 4 heads )
7- i changed the radaitor & the temp volve
8- ENG/Transmission Mount
9- Eng hood pad.

Reactions: Myers79
#34 · (Edited)
-watched it snow ... grrrr ... then,
-cleaned cabin air filter and compartment
-wired a line to the front tow hook cover plate, just in case I hit a curb :D
-cleaned more of the engine bay

... I guess now I will read about sucking the oil out through the dipstick. That sounds crazy, but off I go. And I need to work on some paint swirls.

#37 · (Edited)
After owning this S L for only 3 weeks, I finally removed the hard top. A nice day on the coast to have the top down!

I saw the top open/close & looked quickly, before buying, but yesterday I really got a chance to inspect it.

All the action of opening/closing is perfect!

WOW!! It's in great shape! All original, and not a stitch out, no tears, no discoloration!

I cleaned the windows, and it cleared up fairly easy! Need to try some polishing tricks, but they are very clear!

I only want to carefully clean the underside which shows some "storage marks", but the liner is good too!

Up-date.... The dark/chrome metal frame along the edge of the soft top cover has quite a black mark around it... from the rubber seal. It doesn't want to polish out. Any tricks?

Attachments

#42 ·
The question is more appropriately WHAT haven't I done to it LOL

Blue LED mod
Lazer Interceptor install grill and inside tailights
Valentine One mounted to top and colored LED CD inside Dash gauges
K40 Front Tag Lazer diffuser
Subs
HID Lights and Fog/Road
Visors
AMG pedals
Every LAST BLASTED hydraulic Top cyclinder pun intended :D

Hopefully 3rd rear seat conversion if it exists !

Thats it for now - Winters coming - No more play :crybaby2:

#44 ·
I just put a new radio in but after I put the faceplate trim piece on I could still see a tiny sliver of metal between the top of the trim and the wood on the console. A casual observer probably wouldn't notice it but I could, and that's all that mattered. So today I took a piece of black electrical tape and folded it over and over to make a tiny shim. I wedged it between the top of the radio and the bottom of the trim piece. No more metal :)