Replacing the Ignition Switch on a 1992 SL - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: '93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
Send a message via Yahoo to mountie55
Post Replacing the Ignition Switch on a 1992 SL

The last owner ( a friend of mine) had some good work on it, but it is due for some real TLC. Repair vacuum lines, repair ignition switch, MEGA-detail the exterior & engine.

I've had it for 2 days, but still can't get it to my house until I repair the Ign switch.

I will asking for suggestions!!!

I just went through my '93 Cadillac STS w/the Northstar engine. I replaced the engine myself, so playing with this neat SL will be sort of familliar, but I don't know diddley about MB's.

I will be learning.....&%#$!!??!!
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing the Ignition Switch on a 1992 SL-right-corner.jpg  
mountie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moving on

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Y2K SL500 Silver
Please read the entire thread at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...ml#post3276075 and
PeachPartsWiki: Replacing the Ignition Switch

Last edited by lynns; 06-06-2009 at 11:54 PM.
lynns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: '93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns View Post
HEY!! Thank you soooo much! I went to your Mercedes guy, 'MB Elite' on Old Newport Blvd. in Newport Beach. He was very helpful.

Believe it or not, the '92 SL has a SIMPLE procedure to remove the Ign. lock. Just line up the "hidden" pin under the anti- theft cover, around the lock, by turning the key to the second position, and "feel" as you turn the cover to line up to a groove, and just slide the cover / tumbler out!

All the other Mercedes places didn't want to divuldge the 'trick' and claimed an expensive job.

Unfortunatly, I can't even turn the key &%$#&*$ to do the trick, so I will tow the car to his shop.

I have heard from other friends that this is THE guy to see!!

Thanks!

Last edited by lynns; 06-06-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Moving on

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountie55 View Post
the '92 SL has a SIMPLE procedure to remove the Ign. lock. Just line up the "hidden" pin under the anti- theft cover, around the lock, by turning the key to the second position, and "feel" as you turn the cover to line up to a groove, and just slide the cover / tumbler out!

All the other Mercedes places didn't want to divuldge the 'trick'
Well I'm glad to hear you liked there customer service. Now let's see how much it costs to repair.

BTW, most mechanics probably don't want to divuldge the 'trick' because they don't want to give away the answer to hotwire the car.

After you get your car in decent condition you should join us R129'ers at one of our OC gatherings. It's fun to talk cars and get to know one another.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns View Post
Well I'm glad to hear you liked there customer service. Now let's see how much it costs to repair.

BTW, most mechanics probably don't want to divuldge the 'trick' because they don't want to give away the answer to hotwire the car.

After you get your car in decent condition you should join us R129'ers at one of our OC gatherings. It's fun to talk cars and get to know one another.
Well, you need a key to turn the lock for removal.

Hotwire..... That's what insurance is for?

Uh, offically, I have not paid money for the car yet.... I am determining what is wrong with the car, so we can come up with a price. The friend doesn't want to put a lot of more money into the car anymore. I want to make sure the "so called" problem with the engine isn't mortal. (" Blow by - Oil going over the top of engine) Whatever the heck that means. ???

I don't think it's mortal ( it drives too nice).... But I need to troubleshoot the vacuum, etc. in order to really check the car out.

I'd sell my '93 STS to pay for it. ( I don't live where you can park multiple cars)

& HE can't buy a new car if this SL is in his driveway.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Moving on

Quote:
Well, you need a key to turn the lock for removal.

I want to make sure the "so called" problem with the engine isn't mortal. (" Blow by - Oil going over the top of engine) Whatever the heck that means.

But I need to troubleshoot the vacuum, etc. in order to really check the car out.
What happened to the ignition key? They come with three from the factory.

First of all the M119 is pretty much bullet proof. With that being said a MY92 500SL probably needs new valve cover gaskets and new vacuum hoses. With the hood open please listen for any ticking from the valves upon start up. If that be the case you will want to replace all of the 'valve guides' when you take the covers off to put new gaskets on. Check the hood pad and see if it has any oil markings on it or if it needs replacement.

Please read http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...-up-parts.html
Old 11-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2009 SL63 AMG
Quote:
The last owner ( a friend of mine) had some good work on it, but it is due for some real TLC. Repair vacuum lines, repair ignition switch, MEGA-detail the exterior & engine.

I've had it for 2 days, but still can't get it to my house until I repair the Ign switch.

I will asking for suggestions!!!

I just went through my '93 Cadillac STS w/the Northstar engine. I replaced the engine myself, so playing with this neat SL will be sort of familliar, but I don't know diddley about MB's.

I will be learning.....&%#$!!??!!

I found a video the other day with instructions on how to remove the ignition switch. The site is down, but fortunately I downloaded the video.

Do you want to remove the ignition switch?
mercedes1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2009 SL63 AMG
Ok, I just bought an SL500 2001. And like you I have put two engines, one of which I built from scratch in two of my cars. Hence I know where you are coming from. Mercedes is new to me..

I looked at the video and it appears that in order to get the ignition switch off you might have to take out the dash which does not appear complicated from watching the video, but would be hard to do if you had to guess.

Once the dash is off then there is a tool that can be inserted into the ignition to remove it.

I know this might be an obvious question, but what exactly is wrong with your ignition do you know for a fact the switch is bad? have you tested it?
mercedes1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
aam
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: SL500-500SEL-190E
Haha.
If you guys think is easy to pick the ign. lock.
Think again.
I have one advice.
Don't lose the key.
Yes Mercedes will cut a new one, and is going to take a couple
days.
All with proper ID, no lock smith can get the key, only the register owner.
As far as braking in the lock you will have to work for many, many hours.
Been there did that, on my other car, I did mentioned on my
previews threads.
It is a very good system and Mercedes want's to kip it that way.

Regards.
aam.
aam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam View Post
Haha.
If you guys think is easy to pick the ign. lock.
Think again.
I have one advice.
Don't lose the key.
Yes Mercedes will cut a new one, and is going to take a couple
days.
All with proper ID, no lock smith can get the key, only the register owner.
As far as braking in the lock you will have to work for many, many hours.
Been there did that, on my other car, I did mentioned on my
previews threads.
It is a very good system and Mercedes want's to kip it that way.

Regards.
aam.
( I just returned from a trip to Sonoma wine country )....... Before I went on the trip I tried & tried to turn the Ign lock with the 'old' key, with no luck. I am hoping the current owner can find the newer key ( He miss-placed it)...I heard you can get an inexpensive version of a spare key from the dealer, and I hope that key will turn the Ign switch if the one I have is worn. The point is to get the car to my house to check vacuum lines, etc. The current owner will pay, for the key repair, even if I didn't want to buy the car, he'd have to get it fixed anyway.

Plan "B" is I'll tow the SL to MB Elite in Newport Beach.

I would sure love to see that video!!

Last edited by mountie55; 12-02-2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: grammer

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class