Charcoal canister shut-off valve? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dan Tomlinson

Charcoal canister shut-off valve?

I have a 1994 SL320 with a check engine light for code PO441 (Purge control valve function), which I got from the MB dealer that I had look at the problem. I have replaced the purge valve as I believe it had died. It was full of carbon particles from the canister. The new valve I installed also had some particles in it after a short time, but I cleaned it and it is still OK (I think). I have spliced in a fuel filter to keep the particles out for now. When I blow into the tubing that goes to the canister from the Purge valve I can hear a rushing sound coming from somewhere below the Purge valve. I have checked the canister and the three tubes appear OK as does the canister. I do not hear any leaks in that area. I think the sound is probably coming from, or near, the canister shut-off valve, but I don't know where it is located. Can anyone tell me where it is and how do I access it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Moving on

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Y2K SL500 Silver
Welcome to the R129 Forum. Check FUEL SYSTEM>CLOSED FUEL-EVAPORATION-CONTROL SYSTEM
Or take a look at these drawings and see if they help at the Russian parts site.

Last edited by lynns; 03-29-2008 at 11:09 AM.
lynns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dan Tomlinson

Thanks lynns, but they really don't show where these lines are on the car. For instance, one of the lines coming off of the canister goes into a grommet and through the frame towards the engine but I can't see where it comes out on the other side. I think that is where I can hear rushing when I blow into the tube that comes fron the Purge valve. I have a diagram that shows a canister shut-off valve but I have no idea where it is located. I also don't think I should be able to blow or suck air through the canister without any resistance. Am I correct?

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class