BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 1991 500SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post 91 500SL Sun Visor Replacement

The sun visor’s cover that turns on the two vanity lights has broken off (both sides) due to age and heat. I was told by the Mercedes dealer the hole visor has to be purchased. I recall reading elsewhere that this assembly could be purchased with out purchasing the complete visor, if so does anyone have P/N.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 06:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
Send a message via AIM to chriswufgator
Part number 12981023179051 worked for my car. That is black. Parts.com has them. Just make sure you don't have more than one outstanding order with them, because they will dump the mirrors into the same box and they will get broken by the other parts.

What color is your interior?

"Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire." (I came, I saw, I want to go home.)
#3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 10:54 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: '99 SL500 Sport
sun visor caution

I ordered a visor assembly from my dealer with my VIN. The part came in black, even though my interior color is shell. (Usually the last 4 digits of the part number are the color code.) Apparently the visors are no longer made in my color code and the computer will automatically change the part number to black by default. And of course they did not tell me this beforehand.

So ask your parts supplier during the order to confirm your color.

FS: '99 SL500 Sport, 90K miles, magma red, shell interior, nice, $21,500, Houston

Last edited by lynns; 01-03-2009 at 12:03 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswufgator View Post
Part number 12981023179051 worked for my car. That is black. Parts.com has them. Just make sure you don't have more than one outstanding order with them, because they will dump the mirrors into the same box and they will get broken by the other parts.

Chris

The color is Black

Thanks for the info. I'll try Parts.con
#5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:07 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Smile

Quote:

Chris, Ron MB from Florida. Parts.com shows a listing for $60.63 I wish they had a picture. My mirror with the two light Lens's just pop's off. Under that are the two bulbs, micro switch and the circuit board (This works fine). This assembly is held in with 6 screws. With the P/N as you described, what is included ?
#6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
Send a message via AIM to chriswufgator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron MB View Post
Chris, Ron MB from Florida. Parts.com shows a listing for $60.63 I wish they had a picture. My mirror with the two light Lens's just pop's off. Under that are the two bulbs, micro switch and the circuit board (This works fine). This assembly is held in with 6 screws. With the P/N as you described, what is included ?
Trust me, that p/n is exactly what you need if your interior color is black. Go ahead and order them.

I ordered a set already, and they showed up broken because parts.com was dumb enough to dump them into a box with 4 loose brake rotors, but they were definitely the correct part for that application.

"Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire." (I came, I saw, I want to go home.)
#7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Undercover Moderator

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system... S Class diplomat ride
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron MB View Post
is this what you looking for.....??
[IMG][/IMG]

Horsepower: enough power to go from point A to point B
Torque: enough to get the car moving

0-60 mph: not in a rush
0-1/4 mile: about 5 minutes @ 2mph because no need to showoff

Pictures of my SL collection & Pictures of my S Class ride
#8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 12:13 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: '95 500SL, Previously owned '87 280CE, '72 280SE, '59 190SL
1995 SL500 sunvisor mirror covers

Quote:
Trust me, that p/n is exactly what you need if your interior color is black. Go ahead and order them.

I ordered a set already, and they showed up broken because parts.com was dumb enough to dump them into a box with 4 loose brake rotors, but they were definitely the correct part for that application.
hi Chris, does the p/n include the black plastic flip up mirror cover? On both of my visor mirrors the plastic cover is decomposing and has turned sticky

Thanks

Peter
#9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Moving on

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Y2K SL500 Silver
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoods View Post
hi Chris, does the p/n include the black plastic flip up mirror cover? On both of my visor mirrors the plastic cover is decomposing and has turned sticky

Thanks

Peter
Peter, welcome to the R129 Forum!

The problem you are having is a common one that is fixable for a somewhat reasonable pice. Please read http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...ml#post2615205

Whenever you order a plastic interior part, especially over the Internet, please include your VIN. This will hold the dealer responsible for delivery of the right color.

ITMT, would you please go into your BenzWorld Profile and put the year, model, and the geographical location of your SL so that we can help you better in the future.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 03:04 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: '95 500SL, Previously owned '87 280CE, '72 280SE, '59 190SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns View Post
Peter, welcome to the R129 Forum!

The problem you are having is a common one that is fixable for a somewhat reasonable pice. Please read http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...ml#post2615205

Whenever you order a plastic interior part, especially over the Internet, please include your VIN. This will hold the dealer responsible for delivery of the right color.

ITMT, would you please go into your BenzWorld Profile and put the year, model, and the geographical location of your SL so that we can help you better in the future.
Dear Lynn,

Thank you for such a helpful welcome. I have ordered the parts from parts.com

I will probably be a regular at the R129 forum, I live in the Philippines, bought my SL 2 years ago after it was imported here from Japan and sorry to say have not had many good days with the car.

The MB distributor people here while helpful just don't have enough experience to deal with uncommon problems of which I have had plenty, its only now that I can start addressing cosmetic issues,

Thanks again

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.