Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

p/n for hydraulic cylinders

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  lynns 
#1 ·
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if the windshield hydraulic cylinders for the convertible top have the same part numbers for all years? I have a 2000 SL500 and found two cylinders that the seller said were for a 1999 SL and the part #'s are A129-800-07-74 and A129-800-08-74. The items were marked for a 1999 SL500 but I also saw different part #'s in the Hydraulic cylinder ultimate thread. Can anyone advise:confused: THANKS

#2 ·
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if the windshield hydraulic cylinders for the convertible top have the same part numbers for all years? I have a 2000 SL500 and found two cylinders that the seller said were for a 1999 SL and the part #'s are A129-800-07-74 and A129-800-08-74. The items were marked for a 1999 SL500 but I also saw different part #'s in the Hydraulic cylinder ultimate thread. Can anyone advise:confused: THANKS
MBSL22,
The part numbers you listed are for the complete latch assemblies in the windshield header. The part # for the hydraulic cylinder only is 1298001672
Both the full latch assemblies and the individual cylinders are the same for at least the model years, '90-'02.

Bob

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info...Can I use the complete latch assemblies listed on my 2000 SL500? He wants $30.00 for them however he can't guarantee that they are leak free...Good deal for spares? One of mine are leaking...
If he's selling them 'as is' it will be hard to tell how long they will last. If you are going to take on this DIY. And it's an easy one. Then I suggest that you either have both rebuilt by Dennis or buy new one's at a discount.

Another forum member decided to buy one new one at a $110.00 discount price from Parts.com - For every part of your life . He then sent the one he removed to Dennis for a $30.00 rebuild so that he had a back-up for when it was needed..

#7 ·
hi guys..i am new to benzworld and own a 1994 mb sl500...i recently had hydraulic fluid come pouring out of the corner of windshield frame on drivers side. After reading this post i was wondering how and if Dennis is still rebuilding these and if so how may i get in contact with him....thanks so much for any help

Ginger

#10 ·
Please understand that you are not the first owner of a R129 that has had this problem. Back some time a go I did a POLL and found out that the front cylinder seals last about 8-10 years. So your doing pretty good if this is the first HC repair on a 14 year old car.

Please take a look at the following thread and it will give you everthing that you need to do if your handy with tools MercedesShopWiki: R&R of the Convertible Top Release Cylinders . I hope you have enough hydraulic fluid left in the hydraulic cylinder pump reservoir that is located under the spare tire in the trunk. If so please retract the top into it's compartment then go about your repair. Send the cylinders to Dennis for a quick turn around. Most people repair both of the front cylinders at the same time MB p/n 1298001672 times two.

After you get your two cylinders back this would be a good time to R&R your current fluid at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1328728-hydraulic-system-fluid-flush-renew.html

#11 ·
hello i to have a sl500 and i just want to do all the rams now i dont want to replace the rams and im from canada so is there actual part n.o. for the orings wipers and seals having them sent from the states is very expensive tax duty ,shiping if i could get the mercedes part n.o. i think i could buy them at the benz dealer or measure ments and i might be able to buy them at a seal company any help would be great thanks

#12 ·
hello i to have a sl500 and i just want to do all the rams now
i dont want to replace the rams and im from canada so is there actual part n.o. for the orings wipers and seals
having them sent from the states is very expensive tax duty ,shiping
if i could get the mercedes part n.o. i think i could buy them at the benz dealer or measure ments and i might be able to buy them at a seal company any help would be great thanks
There are NO p/n's for the hydraulic cylinder Seals and O-Rings but there is an individual that you can purchase them from at FS: Hydraulic Cylinder Seal and O-Ring kits for DIY rebuild He has taken the time and effort to research the size and chemical properties of the Seals. Mercedes ONLY sells new hydraulic cylinders at a total cost of about $3500.00 for 12 new parts. They do not have p/n's for the inner workings so that you can rebuild them yourself.

There is another approach. A fellow forum member by the name of Dennis Ficken rebuilds the cylinders for a modest price of $40.00 each plus postage. Please see Dennis Ficken contact information (e-mail address, phone #, mailing address and R129 roadster soft top 'Hydraulic System' ultimate thread and **Roadster Soft Top (RST) hydraulic system fluid renew for MY 90-98

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.