Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

DIY: Sun Visor Trim "Cap" p/n 1298110561xxxx and Vanity Mirror R&R

135K views 207 replies 76 participants last post by  C Cortez 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had to replace both of the front plastic sun visor pieces that were cracked and both of them fell apart. I can not seam to find them anywhere. None on ebay for over a month. I need both the left and right side (tan). Any suggestions on where to get them...

#3 ·
Your local MBZ dealer will have them. The covers are sold separately from the sunvisors. A bit pricely for such a small piece. As always the left side cost more. I would go and just talk to your local MBZ parts guy and see what he says.

Unfortunately I do not have the part numbers.

I hope you find them

Russell

#6 · (Edited)
Left Side Sun Visor Trim Cap

jaybro said:
Left Side Part #'s 1298110561 and Right Side p/n 1298110661.
You must indicate the color for these parts.
The Left Side Sun Visor "Cap"
p/n 12981105619045 (Anthracite/Charcoal) for
$33.60 discount vs. $46.59 shipped from parts.com or
$35.00 discount vs $45.49 shipped from mymercedesparts.com

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
How to replace the R129 sun visor trim "cap" p/n 1298110561 xxxx

I did this job awhile ago and only my failing memory or bad manners precluded my posting how I did it. Thanks for your 'reminder' LynnS-

The part I'm referring to is #30 at the link...

Russian Parts Site

Only Caveat...the steps I'll list I know work for a '99 SL500. From responses I got way back when, others with 129's were describing elements I couldn't locate on my car which made me think that in different years, the means of getting the visor rod out so you can get the trim piece on may be different than mine.

There are two ways to do this, Quick and Dirty, and the apparent MB way.
Terms I'll use-

o Visor Rod= horizontal rod that sits in 2 clips and holds the visor

o Visor Riser= vertical part of the rod that goes into the bracket in the header

o StarLock Washer= a small, circular lock washer with 'teeth' or points on it's interior used to retain the riser in position

Tools

o Pocket knife w/ small pointed blade or mini screwdriver like the kind used to repair glasses, thin ice pick...i.e., anything you've got that's small with a sharp point.

o Philips screwdriver

o Flat (standard) screwdriver

o Crazy Glue Gel, contact cement (Quick & Dirty only)

o Hammer (yes, you'll need this)

o Flashlight (maybe)

o At least 2 Heineken's (I needed that)

The apparent MB way...

1- If the trim piece mount is still screwed into the assembly in the header, remove it via the opening by the riser and set it aside.

2- With the rod left in it's 2 retaining clips, look upward to the point where the riser goes into the bracket

3- What you should see is a round threaded fixture, a black StarLock retaining washer, and the riser part of the rod

4- To get the rod to release, you have to use the small pointy whatever you've got and push the points of the Starlock washer upward so as to release tension on the Riser. Flashlight may help here.

5- After you've loosened 4-5 of these 'points', rotate the entire visor toward you so it's vertical, and lift the rod out of the 2 retaining clips, while supporting the 'corner' of the visor where the riser turns upward.

6- If you've pried enough of the points loose on the StarLock, the assembly should be loose enough to drop downward with MINOR force. If it doesn't, re-clip the visor and loosen a couple more 'points' on the starlock; repeat beginning of step 6.

7- The starlock washer may or may not come out with the riser. If it doesn't, use your pointed object to pry it out. Whatever you do, don't lose this thing.

8- Put the starlock retaining washer on something flat and sturdy and flatten it out with the hammer. You may have to use your pointed tool or flat screwdriver to press some of the points back into it's original shape before you whack it. NOTE: the reason you're doing this is to re-use the starlock retainer when you put the riser back in the bracket. I couldn't find an equivalent at the hardware store and wasn't about to drive 20 miles to MB Dealer for 2 of these things

9- Open first Heineken; reward yourself

10- Slide the new trim piece over the riser; push the repaired starlock retaining washer back on the riser to a point 3/4 of the way to the bend in the riser/rod

11- Reinsert the riser back into the mounting bracket until it stops. With your fingers, push the starlock up into the mount, then using the flat screwdriver, push the outside of the starlock up into the bracket. You'll have to do a little at a time on each 'side' of this round washer. The starlock should grab onto the threads in the bracket and needs to be level. You only have to get it to 'catch' on the 2nd thread.

12- Let go and see if it holds. If it does, open 2nd Heineken. If it doesn't, it means that the starlock is bent out of shape and you're going to have to flatten it out again. Cursing is permitted if this happens.

13- Position the trim piece, re-insert philips screw, and DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN, simply snug is fine, i.e., as soon as you get resistance on the screw, stop. If you torque down this screw too tight, when the top latches operate and put force on the header, it will snap the mounting piece on the back of the trim or worse yet, cause the trim itself to crack/splinter.

You're done-

Quick & Dirty

o At the narrowest point on the trim piece itself, using your hands, snap a break in the trim piece. Yes, you read correctly.

o Using the now created split in the trim, simply pry the ends apart and put the trim piece over the rod WITHOUT REMOVING THE RISER.

o Before you reattach the trimpiece with the mounting screw, use Crazy Glue gel on the edges of the piece where you snapped it. Reglue, let it dry, reattach and you're done.

On my car, I did the passenger side the hard way, the driver's side Q&D...ran out of beer.

Good Luck and Have Fun-
Bob

#9 · (Edited)
#10 ·
Thanks Bob.
I now have the Caps and the left side and right side cost a grand total incl. taxes of Canadian dollars 114.13 or approx. US$103........................over US$50 each........ouch!!! The caps are made in France, maybe by somebody like Louis Vuitton. Isn't there a great line in the movie "The Graduate" when the father of Dustin Hofmann's girlfriend says " remember, there's money in plastics"?
I am not looking forward to fitting the clips but my car is kinda naked with them.

#13 ·
Tried for an hour to get the washer out with no luck. Actually broke a small scredriver in the washer. Seems like that thing is made of steel.

Went to the Q&D method to get it done.

The crack is obvious but nowhere as bad as the broken trim.

Thanks for the advice.

#15 · (Edited)
Nice to know the current price, as everybody is going to need one sooner or later, but $80 (for both sides) can buy lots of pizza and beer. I think I'll just cut off the screw-on attachment part and glue the 'ring' part permanently to the surface to avoid anymore cracking due to stress.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Are you referring to the small trim piece that the rod for visor goes through and is held in place with one screw? If so, I just replaced them by ordering from the dealer. Mine are Palomino color, they arrived in three days.

I also learned from a technician at the dealership that when mounting them you should glue a small flat washer behind the piece to relieve the pressure from the screw so they won't stress crack in the future.

#25 ·
Are you referring to the small trim piece that the rod for visor goes through and is held in place with one screw? If so, I just replaced them by ordering from the dealer. Mine are Palomino color, they arrived in three days and cost about $6.00 each. I also learned from a technician at the dealership that when mounting them you should glue a small flat washer behind the piece to relieve the pressure from the screw so they won't stress crack in the future.
That's a pretty good idea. Wish I'd thought of that when I was replacing these not long ago, but never too late to go back and do it I suppose.

Are you supposed to use rubber or metal washers? Or a combo?

#26 ·
I would not call myself cheap, plain wrong to own three german cars, one with V8 and two V12 if that was the case :)

By wrapping then in carbon I would try to improve them as MB did a horrible job apparently with this.

I buy a lot of parts brand new, I just hate buying parts that have poor quality or is really bad constructed. But hey, can somone get them for $6 each I will just buy 10 of them and smile everytime I change them.

So, where are they available for $6 each?
And will anyone be able to send me a lot?

Might wrap them in carbon anyway... ;)

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just did this using the "MB Way." Found if I used a large handle/very small blade screwdriver, I could twist it and raise the teeth of the star washer. Likewise, to bend the stars back down I put a small washer over them and clamped down on a pair of channel locks.

Got new trim pieces on, back and installed (with an extra washer on the mounting screw that goes through the trim piece).

Rebuilt cylinders installed and don't leak (thanks to Dennis F.).

All like new!

#35 ·
These aren't hard to find, and I'm sure your local dealer probably carries them. If not, they can order them.

However, be prepared to be completely SHOCKED by the price. I was astounded when I had to get a set for my Dad's car. They charger $45+ apiece for those little $0.50 pieces of plastic.

Ridiculous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.