Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1997 Mercedes Benz SL500 AMG Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SL500 electric window malfunction

Hello,

I'm a new member, having just bought a 1997 SL500 AMG Sport. It's a lovely car but I bought it with a problem. When you open either door, the window in that door slides down halfway. If you then close the door and re-open it, without touching the window open/close switches, the window slides all the way open.

Using the window open/close switches puts the windows back up, but the "slide down a 1/4 inch", to allow the window to seal properly to the hardtop appears to have vanished.

My service mechanic has told me that the part alone, to cure this problem, costs $1200!

Yesterday, I read the car's manual and came upon the part that tells you how to re-synchronize the windows, if the power has been disconnected previously. I followed the instructions, ("Raise the windows and hold onto the "up" switch for two seconds") and lo and behold, the windows worked properly! At least, they did for the first two times that I used them. Then they fell back into sliding halfway down when I opened the doors.

Question: Is there any way to cure this problem?

Happy new year,

Writer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 11:25 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: sl-500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bawbag
Red face New battery

I notice the vehicle is 1997, it could be that the car requires a new battery, i had a similar problem and after purchasing a new 100amp battery the problem was solved, most batteries only last 8 years ! !
Remember after connecting the new battery, the driver's window will drop 1/2 way, you will then need to reset the windows, reset the soft top, turn the steering wheel fully clockwise and fully anti clockwise to reset the ASR, you may even have to take it to a mercedes technician to reset the codes $60
But then the car will be good for another 6 years.....

Rgds
Baw

If all else fails, there is always the golf course
#3 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 11:59 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you so much. I shall take your advice. In my experience, most batteries only last up to three years!

Watch this space.

Regards

John Starkey
#4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 06:49 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Tried battery!

It's not the bttery.

I went and had it checked out yesterday.

Incidentally, I must commend Lokey Mercedes in St. Petersburg, FL. Both the receptionist and Richard, a Technician, gave me outstanding service over the 'phone yesterday in helping to resolve this problem. Richard recommended checking out the battery also but finished by saying: "You'll probably have to bring the car to us to fix..."

John Starkey

P.S. Somewhere, there's a technician with a laptop who will plug in and re-programme the window controller. I'm personally convinced that that's the fault!
#5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 05:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz SL320 1996 P-reg
i have the same problem on my SL320 1996. Just acquired the car and when i open the door the window comes down halfway. When i reset the window it works fine for sometime but the problem starts again. i have fully recharged the battery and tested it. the Battery seems fine. i will be interested to know if there is a solution to this problem before i indulge into expensive repairs at a Merc garage please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.