Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

squeak / creak due to engine hood / bonnet latches

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  aam 
#1 · (Edited)
When I go over speed bumps or up my driveway, etc. at an angle I get a squeak sound similar to a "bird chirp".

Note: When my car was up on a rack most recently we tried everything to make the sound happen. By moving the suspension up and down,pushing, pulling, etc. to no avail. Moved the exhaust system. The sqeek would not make a noise. So we lightly sprayed WD40 everywhere that we could think of. That did not fix the problem.

I'm thinkin' sub-frame mounts but the car is at 21K miles and 6 years old.

Please help if you have a fix. It's driving me crazy.

#2 ·
Check Underbody Cross Braces

Hi Lynn:

I had a very similar chirp in my 2002 SL500. At first I thought it was my tires, but later it sounded like something in the chasis. I took the car into the dealer, who treated me fairly in the past, and he diagnosed it as:
Tested car on rough roads, found that noise was coming from front and rear underbody cross braces. All braces mounting points were dry and dirty, R&R all four braces, cleaned and lubricated all mounting areas, drove car again, found noise to be gone.
I can't confirm the chirp is gone yet, as I can't hear it (or it doesn't happen) with the pano hard top on. I'll take the top off soon and see if it is really gone.

#3 ·
Hi guys,
I think I have the similar sound that I think is coming from the center vents and it sounds in between a bird chirp and a stangled kid when I steer to the left in a tight corner a lil faster.
Could it be caused from some kind of mechanism or fan screeching in teh AC system?
Cheers.

#5 · (Edited)
greased hood latches

undrctl said:
Not sure if this is it but I had two creaks driving me nuts sounded almost like what you are describing. It turned out one was the hood latch needing to be greased. The next was to replace the Stabalizer bar,connecting link and rubber bushings. Everything was great after that.
Well I greased two of my hood latches and it took care of my bird chirp sounds. This was especially noticable when entering my driveway at an angle or going over speed bumps at a slight angle. Makes sense if the body of the car is flexed.

#8 ·
Chirp Is Gone

hotel_calif said:
I can't confirm the chirp is gone yet, as I can't hear it (or it doesn't happen) with the pano hard top on. I'll take the top off soon and see if it is really gone.
Pano top is off and the chirp is gone. The dealership (Escondido Mercedes) did a great job diagnosing and fixing this problem for me.

#11 ·
Paul, do you remember?
Back in the old good days....
When you went to a garage for an oil change, they would lube the car all around.
They would even lube the stabilizer bar bushings. Lol.

Those days are gone. :(

Don't forget to lube the gas linkage, I use an oil can with hard top, or tranny fluids.
So it doesn't attract dust. ;)

Regards,
aam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.