R129 CEL Diagnostic Trouble Codes & Procedures (1990-1995) - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 07 R 280 CDI
R129 CEL Diagnostic Trouble Codes & Procedures (1990-1995)

Could anyone give a short "how to do" on the diagnostic system for the old SL's?
I've tried the search function, but can't find anything explaining how to do it with what tool and a codelist.

Thanks in advance...

x -CLS 350
x -CL 500
x -500 SL
x -R 320 CDI
SLNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2006, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: SL500, 300SL, 500SL
The procedure described here works for all systems with diagnostics on the R129 through model-year 1995 except for the SRS (airbag) for '94 and '95. On some of the systems from '94 and '95 it will not retrieve as much information as an advanced scan tool would.

Each system's diagnostic output signal is wired to a specific socket of the car's main "diagnostic connector", X11/4. An additional pair of sockets in the connector provide battery voltage and chassis ground for convenience. Early cars with continuous-fuel injection have 16 sockets (picture), while later models have 38 sockets. The sockets are numbered for easy identification. When you make connections to any of the you should know that all circuits have protected outputs and nothing can be damaged by mistakes.

Codes are read sequentially one at a time. That is, you trigger the system you are checking to issue a code, you read the code, you trigger another code, and so on. With the key on and engine off, you trigger a code by electrically shorting the system's particular diagnostic socket to ground for 2 to 4 seconds using a wire. A second or two after the wire is removed, a series of electrical pulses will occur at the socket. The number of pulses corresponds to the number of a code.

There are numerous ways to view the pulses for counting and getting codes. The simplest method is to connect a 99-cent LED from Radio Shack (P/N 276-209, pictured) between battery voltage and the socket of the system being checked (the one you ground for 2 to 4 seconds to get a code) and watch it blink in sync with the pulses. A pair of banana plugs is nice for this. Be sure to have the polarity of the LED correct -- if it is wrong, you won't damage anything, but the LED won't ever turn on. In the special case of reading top controller codes on cars made through 12/93, you don't even need the LED -- just watch the top control switch on the console flash. This is possible because one side of the lamp inside the switch is wired to the diagnostic socket for the top control system.

Once you have read all of the codes you can erase them. They are erased individually one at a time. To do this, read a code, wait a few seconds, and then short the diagnostic socket to ground for 6 to 8 seconds.

For a list of diagnostic codes see post #3 below.

For diagnosing convertible top problems I believe it is best to read/erase all codes and then operate the top. When the problem occurs, continue holding the top control switch until it flashes or 80 seconds elapse -- whichever occurs first. Then read the freshly stored codes.
Attached Thumbnails
R129 CEL Diagnostic Trouble Codes & Procedures (1990-1995)-led.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by bobterry99; 06-20-2009 at 06:30 AM.
bobterry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by edutain1
Thanks again Bobterry for this, I would like a set of the error codes, how should I go about getting them?
The codes are listed in a manual I have for a Baum diagnostic scanner. This is what I have been emailing to people and now realize I can attach to a thread (here). For troubleshooting procedures that follow the codes you should have either the Mercedes WIS software that can be bought from an eBay seller in the U.K. for about $10, or the R129 Tech DVD available from MBUSA for $75.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Diagnostic Codes.pdf (910.0 KB, 6184 views)
Old 11-26-2008, 04:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: mercedes 300 sl (r129), mercedes sl 300-24(r129) and porsche 911 (1970)
hi i tryed but no luck i made a jumpwire between 1 and 10 2-4 sec the lamp was on i disconected the the jumpwire i got blinking ligth but the count was more then 40 then i tryed one more time same result
the hard top is on but i hade to do it manualy (the locking)
the car was fine two weeks ago now nothing is working its crasy when i lock the door the back rest goes forward so i had to remove the braker
the engeien fans dont work
the soft top dont work
roll bar same story

please help
bosnarrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobterry99 View Post
The procedure described here works for all systems with diagnostics on the R129 through model-year 1995 except for the SRS (airbag) for '94 and '95. On some of the systems from '94 and '95 it will not retrieve as much information as an advanced scan tool would.

Each system's diagnostic output signal is wired to a specific socket of the car's main "diagnostic connector", X11/4. An additional pair of sockets in the connector provide battery voltage and chassis ground for convenience. Early cars with continuous-fuel injection have 16 sockets (picture), while later models have 38 sockets. The sockets are numbered for easy identification. When you make connections to any of the you should know that all circuits have protected outputs and nothing can be damaged by mistakes.

Codes are read sequentially one at a time. That is, you trigger the system you are checking to issue a code, you read the code, you trigger another code, and so on. With the key on and engine off, you trigger a code by electrically shorting the system's particular diagnostic socket to ground for 2 to 4 seconds using a wire. A second or two after the wire is removed, a series of electrical pulses will occur at the socket. The number of pulses corresponds to the number of a code.

There are numerous ways to view the pulses for counting and getting codes. The simplest method is to connect a 99-cent LED from Radio Shack (P/N 276-209, pictured) between battery voltage and the socket of the system being checked (the one you ground for 2 to 4 seconds to get a code) and watch it blink in sync with the pulses. A pair of banana plugs is nice for this. Be sure to have the polarity of the LED correct -- if it is wrong, you won't damage anything, but the LED won't ever turn on. In the special case of reading top controller codes on cars made through 12/93, you don't even need the LED -- just watch the top control switch on the console flash. This is possible because one side of the lamp inside the switch is wired to the diagnostic socket for the top control system.

Once you have read all of the codes you can erase them. They are erased individually one at a time. To do this, read a code, wait a few seconds, and then short the diagnostic socket to ground for 6 to 8 seconds.

For a list of diagnostic codes see post #3 below.

For diagnosing convertible top problems I believe it is best to read/erase all codes and then operate the top. When the problem occurs, continue holding the top control switch until it flashes or 80 seconds elapse -- whichever occurs first. Then read the freshly stored codes.
Thanks for sharing the info with us. I'm new at the code thing and my sound like a dumb question but do the codes read out on the dash?
boxco44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxco44 View Post
...do the codes read out on the dash?
Roll bar codes can be read by counting flashes of the malfunction lamp in the instrument cluster for '90-'95 cars, and top controller codes can be read by counting flashes of the lamp in the control switch for '90-'93 cars. All other codes require an LED, test lamp, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnarrov View Post
hi i tryed but no luck i made a jumpwire between 1 and 10 2-4 sec the lamp was on i disconected the the jumpwire i got blinking ligth but the count was more then 40 then i tryed one more time same result
the hard top is on but i hade to do it manualy (the locking)
the car was fine two weeks ago now nothing is working its crasy when i lock the door the back rest goes forward so i had to remove the braker
the engeien fans dont work
the soft top dont work
roll bar same story
Late reply to an old post...

You should not have a blink count higher that 30, as only codes 1-30 are defined.

Last edited by bobterry99; 06-29-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
thanks a bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxco44 View Post
Thanks for sharing the info with us. I'm new at the code thing and my sound like a dumb question but do the codes read out on the dash?
i will be getting codes to day. Have not been able to drive my baby for the last six months
boxco44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: sl 300/24 1990mod
hallo. i now its an old link but i try anyway. i am working on my sl now, read out fault codes on the roof, got code 23. RB controle module (crash deployment). tried to read out on the roll bar. jumped 1 to 7. the lamp was just lighting when i jumped but didnt blink after. is there a way to erase this code or is the RB module defect? the belt retractor on the passenger side is always retracted when you buckle up. the car has been crashed and fixed. Someone who got a clue?
Norwaysl300/24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1991 500 SL
code reading

I read the code on my 500sl 1991 and I have two questions about it, on socket 7 (roll bar) and on socket 12 ( Infrared remote control locking) I have two steady light when I plug in ( no flashes), and on socket 6 (supplental restaint system/ air bag) I have a light who stay on for about two second and come off, and no flash after. Anyone have a idea of what going on.
deejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

If the LED lights but does not flash a code, there are two possible problems I can think of. First, the LED is not connected between #16 and the diagnostic socket being checked for codes. Second, a good contact is not being made continuously between the socket being checked and chassis ground for 3 seconds to trigger a read. If these criteria are being met, then possibly the diagnostic port of the relevant module is faulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwaysl300/24 View Post
the belt retractor on the passenger side is always retracted when you buckle up. the car has been crashed and fixed. Someone who got a clue?
I will guess that the seat belt's emergency tensioning device activated in the crash. If this is the case, then the seat belt must be replaced. If that is not the case, then the bowden cable that connects the seat belt buckle to the belt's take-up reel is likely jammed.

I have a good used one to sell, but I imagine it would be expensive to send to Europe.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL Class