Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

WINTER DRIVING

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  psycho 
#1 ·
OK GUYS, THIS WILL BE MY FIRST WINTER WITH THE SL. HOW DRIVEABLE IS IT IF THERE SNOW ON THE GROUND. IM SURE I WOULD NEVER DO IT BUT JUST WONDERING.....

#2 ·
I usually don't take the SL out in the snow. I was caught one time few years back when I took the car out of town thinking the weather would be nice. It snowed the day of my return but the SL was performing flawlessly. When I hit slick spots, the ASR kicked in and I was pretty much planted on the road.

Not much help here. Since then the SL is stored for winter.

#3 ·
If you are planning to keep your SL for a few years, and you are also planning to drive it in snow...you should get a set of wheels with snow tires on them. This is what I do. I have the Blizzaks LM22 (I think). They are great! I had them in my BMW 850 and they are now on my SL500.

#4 ·
We get wet snow in Maryland when we get it at all and I grew up driving rear wheel drive cars so I know how to drive in the snow.
I got caught out last year in a light snow, about 1-2 inches, max. Driving the SL home was like trying to ice skate up-hill. I made it but I swore I'd never do it again. If I need to go out when it's snowing now, I take the Jeep.

#5 ·
I had my first experience driving my sl in snow yesterday. I had to back out of the garage to get my garbage cans out. When I tried to go into the garage I started to slide sideways on the slight incline of my driveway.

Bottom line....

Z rated tires do not cut it in snow.

I will stick with my ML which by the way is incredible in the snow.

#7 ·
Hi,

The SL, as well as any other Benzes, can perform flawlessly in winter. Snow, sleet, ice, etc. You must have the right type of tires on the car however. With normal summer tires (harder rubber compounding) the performance in terms of grip drops significantly under 7 degrees centigrade. The tire goes "hard".

Winter tires for the SL are manufactured by all major tire brands. In some countries you can get these tires with spikes as well (Finland).

My SL 500 is currently wearing Dunlop 245/45 R 17 Winter M3. These are V rated and can go up to 240 km per hour which should be enough during winter.
Tires perform well in snow and sleet. For very icy conditions I recommend you use your chopper:)

Regards
Sisu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.